News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Not just thinking here of old photos to help the restorer but the use of old photos to help convince the members, owners, players, planners, neighbours etc what really was there before.....ie help overturn resistance to change, hazy memories and pre-conceived ideas of what the course may once-upon-a-time have been like.
Thoughts?

Anacdotes particularly welcome.

Atb

Brian Ross

Re: How important are old photos when undertaking a restoration?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 04:11:49 PM »
Quite important, I think. Not vital, as you can get by if they don't exist, but important, certainly. Put another way, I can't imagine trying to sell a project to a membership and not using them if they were available.

Old photographs can be used to show original bunker styles, vistas that once existed that may not exist any longer thanks to tree growth, etc., and more.

Old aerials are also quite helpful (possibly even more so), especially when it comes to comparing fairway width and tree cover over a period of time. These can often be eye-opening to members and can be the final push that will  get a tree management plan or even a major restoration/renovation approved.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Mark_Fine

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 06:05:13 PM »
They are one important piece of the puzzle. 

Cal Seifert

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 08:25:02 PM »
I'd imagine if there were some landmark that was still the same size today in the old aerial it would be perfect for sizing the greens and bunkers.  May be common sense though ;)

Ian Andrew

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 08:58:49 AM »
I'll go further than others here ...

If you don't have them, you can't get an accurate restoration.
They are the third dimension, aerials do not supply that information.

So the answer is vital. Otherwise you either interpreting aerials and landforms ... or guessing.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Rick Lane

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 09:37:02 AM »
Having lived this, I would say ANY old photo, even aerial, is vital to accomplishing a "sale" to the membership of a restoration, from green sizes, fairway widths, bunkers sizes and locations and most importantly trees..   Simply put, would you rather try to convince a membership with or without any sort of those evidences?   If they existed, you would for sure use them in your presentation.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back