News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bob_Garvelink

Sand Valley - Is the walk to challenging?
« on: March 03, 2018, 10:37:20 AM »
Hi Gang,

I plan to make my first trek to SV in May.  I have read many posts about SV and most have nothing but praise.  The few knocks on the course is that the front is an extremely difficult walk.  Others have posted that this difficult walk has caused longer than normal rounds for a resort such as SV.

Would love to know your thoughts on the following:

Is the front of SV to difficult of a walk for the average weekend warrior?

Does the walk have anything to do with the 5 hour rounds or is it more of the difficulty of the course?

Is this the most difficult walk of the modern day CC courses????  I have walked both Streamsong Red and Warren and both were very easy walks so this was shocking to hear that some say SV is a bit to challenging of a walk.

"Pure Michigan"

John Kavanaugh

Re: Sand Valley - Is the walk to challenging?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 11:35:52 AM »
Some walks are just more difficult than others. This was recognized many years ago and how we play the game was bifurcated. The golf cart was introduced to much acclaim. What could have possibly gone wrong?

btw. Both Bandon Trails and Sand Hills are difficult walks. No biggie.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:47:48 AM »
It's a big property but I wouldn't say it was a particularly hard walk. If you think it might be too much, you can always take a caddie; it's hard for me to imagine that it would be too hard for anyone in vaguely normal shape without a bag to carry.

For reference I would say that Bandon Trails is a much stiffer walk.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Craig Disher

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »
Does the difficulty of the walk come from green to tee distances or elevation changes - or both?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 02:52:46 PM »
Does the difficulty of the walk come from green to tee distances or elevation changes - or both?

Elevation change is the difficulty.  The green-to-tee walks are mostly short.

To me the question is whether you can walk 36 a day.  That's kind of the whole idea of Bandon and Sand Valley.  I know that including a par-3 course is meant to alleviate this for those who have a tougher time, but if the rest of the visitors are suffering, that's not ideal.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 04:17:42 PM »
I'm a 65-year-old guy who had a knee replacement in Nov. 2016, and I walked San Valley last August. I plan to do it again next summer. The hike up the par-5 fourth hole can get you winded, but I agree that Bandon Trails is tougher.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 08:37:40 PM »
We walked  it twice and on the second day played it after playing 16 of the 18 holes at the newer course.   I took a caddie for the second round but do not remember it being a difficult walk.  The 18th is a climb so you feel it at the end. 

Peter Gannon

« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 11:21:26 PM »
Can't wait to get to SV, but I'm more the 36 holes + par 3 course kind of Weekender vs 18 + par 3 course. 

Bandon Trails is a tough walk, but walking IS golf, isn't it?   Right?  (except in Texas.  I grew up in Texas, and some courses have 1/2 or 1/4 mile green to tee.)

CJames

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2018, 01:55:27 AM »
My father, who was 83 years old at the time, walked 36 holes at Sand Valley on a Thursday and 18 on Friday. 

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 10:02:31 AM »
I don't think the walk at SV or MD is all that bad. I handled 36+ last August, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't tired at the end of each day.
H.P.S.

William_G

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 10:30:17 AM »
12 miles a day is about 36 holes a day

proper shoes and socks are a huge factor

plus if carrying, a light golf bag is a must, pushing your bag on a pushcart isn't necessarily a bargain for your back

I would hire a caddie for my first rounds at SV and MD
It's all about the golf!

Jim Tang

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:50:55 AM »
Walked Sand Valley with a caddie last July after having walked 36 at Lawsonia the previous day.  I didn't think the walk at Sand Valley was difficult, at all.  I'd say of the C & C courses I've played, the walk at Bandon Trails and Sand Hills is much more demanding.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:48:32 PM by Jim Tang »

V_Halyard

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 05:14:45 PM »
I would say that the courses at Bandon and defintley Trails has more elevation change. The only long-ish climbs are 4 coming home on 18 on SV.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 05:53:52 PM »
Well....it looks as if SV is a course that most people will not have major issues walking the course which is a relief to me.  We have an older gentlemen who was concerned about being able to handle 18 but having played with him I dont think it will be that big of a deal.  The elevation was my major concern on the front but it appears nothing out of the norm from similar courses. 

Thanks again for all the feedback!
"Pure Michigan"

Brandon Urban

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 06:03:23 PM »
Walked Sand Valley with a caddie last July after having walked 36 at Lawsonia the previous day.  I didn't think the walk at Sand Valley was difficult, at all.  I'd say of the C & C courses I've played, the walk at Bandon Trails and Sand Hills is much more demanding.
I enjoyed the walk with Jim and would agree that is was a nice stroll only because I don't really remember anything about the walk... which is usually a great sign.
181 holes at Ballyneal on June, 19th, 2017. What a day and why I love golf - http://www.hundredholehike.com/blogs/181-little-help-my-friends

JC Jones

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2018, 09:22:17 AM »
I'm less concerned about the difficulty of the walk at Sand Valley than I am about the difficulty public school educators have with difference between to and too. #charterschools
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2018, 12:05:42 PM »
I'm less concerned about the difficulty of the walk at Sand Valley than I am about the difficulty public school educators have with difference between to and too. #charterschools

I’m glad you didn’t type “...then I am about the difficulty.....”. I was ready to ambush...but you’re one step ahead of me. BTW, didn’t you attend public schools? How did you get so smart? (Insert smiley face here)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Bob_Garvelink

« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »

JC,

Nice catch  8)  ....charter schools, private schools, public schools......we are all on the same team with the same mission.  If you're ever in Northern Michigan and need a 4th don't hesitate to send me a PM as I'm sure we would have a blast together.

Pure Michigan!
"Pure Michigan"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back