News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Sweeney

Re: Anyone else note the buried lede in the Jack Nicklaus story today?
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2018, 08:08:34 AM »
Seems like Jack is a very positive contributor to society:

http://www.nchcf.org/Philanthropy-Impact

and I am a fan of Ernie Els always because of his work on the world stage of Autism:

http://www.elsforautism.org

For me, I push/hawk/sell Dog Biscuits: https://www.invictusenterprises.org/watch-our-video/
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2018, 12:14:14 PM »
VK,

I have to agree with George on this one, and don't see the big deal here either.

I don't think he's tarnishing his name, especially given that most of his products seems to have limited market penetration.

I'm betting the only ones buying his products are older guys wanting to re-live some Jack-eqsue nostalgia however they can....but its all just innocent whimsy.

Tim Martin

« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2018, 03:21:09 PM »
VK,

I have to agree with George on this one, and don't see the big deal here either.

I don't think he's tarnishing his name, especially given that most of his products seems to have limited market penetration.

I'm betting the only ones buying his products are older guys wanting to re-live some Jack-eqsue nostalgia however they can....but its all just innocent whimsy.

The more things you put your name on the more your brand gets diluted. I didn’t look closely at what portion of the net proceeds go to charity although if it’s 100% like Newman’s Own it’s tough to take any swipes at JN.

V. Kmetz

« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2018, 10:28:35 PM »
All,

I said I would withdraw my remarks if it was indicated that this product line was to support his enormous charitable interests.

It seems like it may be, and so I do...

Jack Nicklaus is to me a great man, a decent human being, a paradigm in many ways.

I still have great disdain for branding of this general type and feel it cheapens the select few who are worthy, like Jack, into something more banal and less precious.

cheers   vk
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Jeff Schley

« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2018, 12:28:00 AM »
I have a friend who came from a golfing family and they used to golf together with their dad on weekends.  The father was a huge Jack and Arnie fan, thus the children shared this affinity because you always wanted to be like your dad. Sadly my friend had a younger brother who was terminally ill and only 8 or 9 years old at the time.  This was years ago in the early 80's before the internet, social media, etc.  Thus, the only way to spread information was via the newspaper, tv, mail, or word of mouth. 

Someone organized the family a small fundraiser at the local church and it got into a section of the local paper with some quotes. One of the quotes was from the young boy, who at this point was in the hospital simply trying to manage his comfort. He said he just wanted to go golfing with his dad and pretend he was Jack Nicklaus.

No one knows how or why, but that next week a package came from a J. Nicklaus addressed to the young boy.  Since his family was almost living at the hospital trying to spend every last second with their son no one was home.  A neighbor had to sign for the package and drove to the hospital in earnest; as well, neighbors were friends back then, to be counted on to help when needed. The boy was very weak and in and out of his coma at this stage. The parents had no idea who would be sending a package to their son, but they did get quite a few phone calls and letters in support after the newspaper article. My friend recalled being at the hospital and his dad saying out loud, "J. Nicklaus? Could it be Jack Nicklaus the golfer?"  They wanted to wait until their son, who the package was addressed to was in a lucid period before opening the package.

Sadly that period never came and they kept the package unopened until after the funeral.  They gathered as a family and the dad opening the package to uncover a letter from Jack Nicklaus and a signed photo of Jack putting at a tournament somewhere. There was something else, but I forgot what it was. The letter was written saying he had heard of the boy's illness and wanted to wish him a recovery and that he and his wife Barbara were thinking about him. It also said once he recovered he would love to meet him at any tournament the family could make to meet him in person.

The family wrote back saying that while they were forever grateful for the well wishes, regrettably their young son had succumbed to the illness.  They assured him that although their son wasn't able to open the package, that he certainly was the happiest boy in heaven knowing his hero was thinking of him. I'm not sure that Jack ever wrote back, but my friend told me that story after we had become friend years later.

I have a respect for Jack Nicklaus and his wife unmatched by none other in the sports/celebrity world probably.  It would be hard to imagine a better example of how a man, who everyone says is the greatest ever in golf, can exhibit selflessness and empathy for others, even strangers in this case.

He isn't just someone I respect, but after my father, probably as good of a man as I aspire to be. For the above story, as well as the humble personality I have always seen him display I couldn't be a bigger fan of the man. How his company uses his likeness to market the brand doesn't affect my opinion of him, they are trying to maximize licensing his name to make a profit (regardless if we feel he is overexposed).  Great man and an even better role model for athletes today. We all know the quote about class, you can't easily define it, but you know it when you see it.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 07:03:44 AM by Jeff Schley »
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

George Pazin

« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2018, 12:44:02 PM »
Beautiful story, Jeff, thanks for sharing it.

VKM -

I apologize for the snark in my previous post. As someone chasing dreams for 30 years, your post hit a little too close to home for me. Best of luck toy you in the future.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2018, 09:34:21 PM »
I worked for the Nicklaus organization as an intern one summer and I can tell you Jack’s loyalty to his friends and colleagues is remarkable.  The stories people told me were unforgettable.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

David_Tepper

BHoover

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back