News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: New Golfweek rankings
« Reply #100 on: April 24, 2018, 12:57:38 PM »
If anyone knows of a perfect rating system without flaws, please feel free to post it up...

But in the meantime, we have what we have, and while it may have its warts, the question to me is "Is it better than having nothing at all?"  And for me that answer is an easy yes!

This doesn't mean i'm not in favor of tweaking and process improvements...

P.S.  I Agree with Doak 100% on his comments.  Of course he has bias, but he does put it all out there in his books and on this publicly searchable website.  Can't say that for most others....

Sean_A

« Reply #101 on: April 24, 2018, 01:27:35 PM »
It honestly makes me sad that Brad Klein did so much to improve the lives of so many on this site and no one stood up to Golfweek when he left.

JakaB, I don't have a clue what you are on about.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

Jim Franklin

« Reply #102 on: April 24, 2018, 01:35:34 PM »
They like eye candy. Fazio does that well. It isn't my cup of tea. I would much rather play a C&C, Doak, Hanse, Devries, Kidd course, but we are in the minority.

I think it's a disservice to Fazio to claim his courses are merely eye candy and not comparable to courses by C&C, Doak, etc.

Are ALL his courses comparable to theirs? Absolutely not, but he's also built significantly more courses than they have combined. He's designed a lot of very good golf courses, and several world class ones. The only C&C course I've played is Dormie Club (I've never played a Doak, and the only one that's potentially in the cards any time soon is Heathlands, which is obviously not the best representation of his work), and it's better than any Fazio I've played -- but of the Fazios I've played, I like most of them more than most other courses I've played. I've never played one that was bad. There's definitely eye candy involved, but they also tend to be very solid golf courses.

I'm not sure that's what you meant, though. So I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement.

I am certainly not saying Fazio is all eye candy. He does like well manicured, splashy bunkers, but he does a wonderful job for his clients and that is pretty much what matters. Gozzer Ranch and Victoria National are fantastic courses that I could play every day. And I would be very happy.

Go play Pacific Dunes, Rock Creek Cattle, Sand Hills, Friars Head among others and you will start to understand the difference between the architects.

Mr Hurricane

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #103 on: April 24, 2018, 01:37:33 PM »
It honestly makes me sad that Brad Klein did so much to improve the lives of so many on this site and no one stood up to Golfweek when he left.

Ciao

I believe that every rater appointed by Brad should have offered their resignation the day he left. It would have been a nice symbol of loyalty to a man who had changed their lives. So much for loyalty, especially in this business.

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #104 on: April 24, 2018, 01:50:48 PM »
I am certainly not saying Fazio is all eye candy. He does like well manicured, splashy bunkers, but he does a wonderful job for his clients and that is pretty much what matters. Gozzer Ranch and Victoria National are fantastic courses that I could play every day. And I would be very happy.

Go play Pacific Dunes, Rock Creek Cattle, Sand Hills, Friars Head among others and you will start to understand the difference between the architects.

I honestly think Dormie Club alone (at least as far as C&C is concerned) was enough to show me the difference between them, and I do prefer their work and think it's better overall. But I'm very happy to play a Fazio course -- he's preferable to most other architects out there, at least among ones whose work I've seen.

I would love to play all the courses you mentioned some day, though!

Sean_A

« Reply #105 on: April 24, 2018, 02:46:00 PM »

Ciao

I believe that every rater appointed by Brad should have offered their resignation the day he left. It would have been a nice symbol of loyalty to a man who had changed their lives. So much for loyalty, especially in this business.

One, Brad didn't change my life. Two,  I am not sure what loyalty has to do with Brad changing jobs, but I am sure that its none of my business.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Blackmoor, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend & Alnmouth

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #106 on: April 24, 2018, 03:08:44 PM »
The people whose lives Brad changed or possibly saved know who they are, I don't know how or why I got involved. He did bring me one hell of lot of happiness through the Golfweek rater system for the last 20 years. I just wish there was more I could do. Sorry.

V_Halyard

« Reply #107 on: April 24, 2018, 03:11:08 PM »

Ciao

If, as it appears, Brad went to pursue, or was pursued for another opportunity, I'm not sure why raters would depart the GWR program en masse.
It's a bit of a sports information business so you can call it a "Head Coaching" change.
If you have deeper insight into the circumstances regarding his departure, you have information not widely disseminated by GolfWeek, nor Brad.
Now, if a bonafide 'next-gen-golf-architecture-acknowledgement' organization were to materialize from these developments...,
one might speculate that there would be some "Free Agency".
Other than that, to infer that any GW raters that stay on the roster are disloyal to Brad strikes me as a bit of a stretch.
Plus Golf Channel is neither a startup nor an insignificant golf related venture...
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:22:17 PM by V_Halyard »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

V_Halyard

« Reply #108 on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:25 AM »
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Tim Martin

« Reply #109 on: April 25, 2018, 11:38:54 AM »

Ciao

Sean-Did you really need a wink emoticon at the end of JK's post to know he was trying to find a mark? Go to your room. ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back