News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bosela

Wanakah CC (Hamburg, NY) - Donald Ross ?
« on: September 29, 2008, 11:43:48 AM »
I had the opportunity to play Wanakah Country Club on the weekend, a little private club in Hamburg, NY, a suburb of Buffalo.

The club was established in 1899 and claims to be a Donald Ross design and I'm just wondering about the validity of that claim.

I checked out the Donald Ross Society website and from what I saw, it gives no indication whatsoever that he did work on this course.  I'm also under the impression that Bob Cupp and Jay Moorish were brought in for some redesign work in the mid-1980s.

Has anyone here played at Wanakah?  Can anyone shed some light on whether Ross did work on this course and if so, how much of his work still exists today?

I can say this: the greens certainly have a lot of the Ross trademark characteristics, with plenty of false fronts and chipping areas, great undulations and a few 'upside down bowl shaped' greens as well.

I'll post some pictures later tonight.

Thomas MacWood

Re: Wanakah CC (Hamburg, NY) - Donald Ross ?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
I have not seen Ross's name associated with Wanakah, but I do know William Watson carried out a major redesign in 1919.

Scott Witter

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 01:56:32 PM »
Matt:

My records indicate the same as Tom MacWood.  I have played the course many times, I live 40 minutes away and know the superintendent well.  He holds most of the historical records to the course and while there are Buffalo News articles from the very early 1900's stating that Ross walked the property, there is no indication that he designed anything for the club.  There is, however, solid evidence that Willie Watson, as Tom says, did major design work...to the effect that he is credited for the design in several documents.

FYI, I have a 1927 aerial photo of the course at good resolution and the design features are very interesting.  The course you played looks nothing like the course from 1927.  The routing is the same, but the bunkering scheme and the old square and triangular shaped greens are very old school and restoring many would really bring out some interesting play.

As you may know, there are similarities between some of the old guard architects such as false fronts and strategic/interesting internal contours in their putting surfaces, so without seeing the old photos and really studying the course history/evolution even the best can be fooled.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 03:33:34 PM »
I echo the sentiments of my fellow WNYer, Mr. Witter.  I remember an article a while back in the Buffalo News about Wanakah's excitement over the discovery that Ross had walked the course.  I believe, however, that they had additional papers in their possession that took the Ross connection a step farther.  Did you inquire as to this or are you beginning your fishing expedition on GCA?  I have a solid contact at Wanakah who might be able to find out more...just say the word.

Tonto
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Matt Bosela

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 12:18:13 PM »
I echo the sentiments of my fellow WNYer, Mr. Witter.  I remember an article a while back in the Buffalo News about Wanakah's excitement over the discovery that Ross had walked the course.  I believe, however, that they had additional papers in their possession that took the Ross connection a step farther.  Did you inquire as to this or are you beginning your fishing expedition on GCA?  I have a solid contact at Wanakah who might be able to find out more...just say the word.

Tonto

Before teeing off, I went in to talk to one of the assistants who was likely in his late 20's, maybe early 30's. 

I asked him how much Ross was still intact and he kind of paused before saying "all of it".  Needless to say, I wasn't sold on his reply and that was the reason for my post here.

It's just general curiosity, to be honest.  It's a neat little track, with some standout holes.  The uphill par four second has a great green complex and the back nine is filled with excellent holes.  The downhill par three 15th is gorgeous but it stands out quite distinctly from the rest of the course and must be a redesign. 

It was a fun day and the course is in pristine condition so kudos to Scott Witter's superintendant friend, who obviously is doing a wonderful job out there.

Photos to come.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2017, 11:47:18 AM »
Yes.

The Buffalo Commercial - May 29, 1913

Cincinnati Enquirer July 6, 1913

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back