News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rory Connaughton

Re: Lancaster CC (Flynn, 1921): a photo tour (back nine now up!)
« Reply #125 on: October 18, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »
Mark:

Re tree management . . . . if we can only get those goats from Pasatiempo in to clean out the bank between 2 and 7, I will be very pleased!

Mark McKeever

« Reply #126 on: October 18, 2010, 02:17:43 PM »
That view from 2 tee/fairway could be phenomenal... :o

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Adam Clayman

« Reply #127 on: October 18, 2010, 02:57:56 PM »
While I have not read this entire thread, I concur with those who feel this is a special place and that the trends of stewardship are heading the right direction. Seeing those old aerials is illuminating.

Mayday did it say it best when he singled out the quality of the par 4 holes. The variety and strength of them is attributable to the fantastic use of the terrain.

I was unaware the Women will be there until reading it here. A fantastic choice.

Has LCC held previous championships of note?

"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Mark McKeever

« Reply #128 on: October 18, 2010, 03:04:12 PM »
While I have not read this entire thread, I concur with those who feel this is a special place and that the trends of stewardship are heading the right direction. Seeing those old aerials is illuminating.

Mayday did it say it best when he singled out the quality of the par 4 holes. The variety and strength of them is attributable to the fantastic use of the terrain.

I was unaware the Women will be there until reading it here. A fantastic choice.

Has LCC held previous championships of note?

Rory,

Wasnt the Philadelphia Open there a couple years back?

Mark

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #129 on: October 18, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »
The 2015 Women's Open will be the first USGA championship contested at LCC.  The club has hosted 7 or 8 State Am's and a few State Opens. Never hosted the Philly Open that I am aware of.  I suspect that its a little too far out to be considered. i think it will provide a nice mix of holes for the Women's Open.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #130 on: October 18, 2010, 03:14:09 PM »
You're right Rory.  It was the PA Open I was thinking of.

Mark

Adam Clayman

« Reply #131 on: October 18, 2010, 03:20:50 PM »
Rory,
 Whatever the reason, it's nice to see a major championship going to a venue that is worthy, architecturally.

Too far out is relative. And if that was somebodies excuse, once, after the Kohler experiences, it no longer holds any water.

Is there a better example of Flynn's work? (Plz don't bother mentioning Merion)
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #132 on: October 18, 2010, 03:42:43 PM »
Even though it was a windy day on Saturday, I thouroughly enjoyed the course and the experience of playing with 2 young bombers. ;D

LCC is indeed a special place and should be seen/played by students of Flynn and golf architecture. Ran's review here captures the essence of the course.  The strength of the course is in the variety of par4s.

I look forward to some tree management issues that will open the view of the mighty Conestoga River.

Thanks again to our gracious host.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #133 on: October 18, 2010, 04:00:35 PM »
Adam

I just meant too far our to host the Philly Open.  LCC is part of the GAP of course but on the outer reaches.
As for other great examples of Flynn, I think HVCC, Lehigh, Rolling Green, Philly CC and Lancaster, among others, all present good tastes of what Flynn was capable of. I have never seen Kittansett, Indian Creek or SHGC but I suspect that they give an even broader perspective.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #134 on: October 18, 2010, 06:42:53 PM »
We in SE Pennsylvania are spoiled.  Put Lancaster CC in many other areas, and it'd be the best golf course in town.

This has nothing to do with golf, but LCC has a great "vibe" about it that you feel as soon as you drive in.  It's a club that's proud of its traditions, but it's in no way full of itself.  It's a great example of Eric Pevoto's "Norm" factor (Norm, being the character from the TV show "Cheers" - where everybody knows your name).

John Burnes

« Reply #135 on: June 24, 2017, 07:41:30 PM »
I had the pleasure of playing Lancaster today for the first time.  I had an all world experience, (and played well too, so that's always nice).

I knew it was a course worth seeing and I also somehow knew I was going to enjoy it.  Aside from being a big Flynn fan, the course was magnificent, flowed well, and was in great shape.

I was curious as to the 13th hole par 5.  I happen to smoke drive down the middle, but was left with a forced lay up shot to the right because of a cluster of trees to the left.  This shot option didn't feel right and I was wondering if this was the original intent?  I think the hole is great and could even be better if these trees were eliminated.  Maybe there is a photo that exists somewhere to illustrate my point.

Lancaster has a major fan in Eastern PA.

John

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #136 on: June 25, 2017, 11:27:26 AM »
The 13th hole originally started on the bluff behind 12 green and went straight up and over the hill.  It did not turn at the corner you referenced.  From the original 13 green, a par three played back towards the clubhouse.  There are threads on which Jim Nagle has posted aerials showing the evolution of the course.

The hole was modified to it's present version when the club traded the land that now comprises Eshelman Road for land on the other side of the Conestoga River in the early 1940's (holes 3-6).  I do not know whether Flynn contemplated the use of that cluster of trees or not.  Given the location of the 17th tee and original 16th green, there may have been a desire to force play to the right for safety reasons though this is just my speculation.

I agree that the hole is somewhat quirky. There are definitely ways to create a high risk high reward second shot if the tee is pulled back and left, fairway expanded and the stand of trees taken back or eliminated.

Glad you enjoyed your day at Lancaster.

John Burnes

« Reply #137 on: June 25, 2017, 09:43:51 PM »
Makes sense.  Thanks for the insight Rory.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #138 on: June 25, 2017, 09:54:28 PM »
@John Burnes - Everybody in Eastern PA that understands golf course architecture is a big fan of Lancaster! :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back