News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Benjamin Litman

Sunningdale Country Club, NY (A Mini Photo Tour)
« on: May 09, 2017, 05:41:37 PM »

Sunningdale Country Club, NY (1918) (Raynor, Travis, Tillinghast, DeVries)

Sunningdale in the fall is a feast for the eyes.

With many thanks to Jim Gold, I was fortunate to join a number of GCAers in late October of last year at Sunningdale Country Club for an architectural playing tour of the club's Mike DeVries-revamped golf course. "Architectural playing tour" is my phrasing; although I now understand that these events are quite common at clubs undergoing renovations, restorations, or some combination of the two, this was my first. Whatever you call them, they're both fun and deeply informative. After we played the course--I had the added fortune of having for a playing partner Mike Moss, who, with Jim and David Kubie, the chair of the club's Greens Committee, has been directly responsible for DeVries's involvement over the last decade--the latter Mike led us back out to walk and talk us through the four holes that, at the time, were still under construction. (My understanding is that they have since been completed.) A fascinating architectural panel discussion followed, with Ian Andrew joining Mike on the stage and Brad Klein serving as moderator. (A video of the panel discussion is available on YouTube and worth a watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iiv7AtjkFjU)

What I present below is only a mini-tour of the course, both because I did not take as many pictures as I normally would and because, as noted, not all of the holes were completed. My hope is to do a complete tour and review later this year once all of Mike's holes have grown in and I have hopefully had a chance to experience them in person. For pictures documenting the construction, as well as a fuller set of pictures taken that same day by Joe Bausch, see Mike Moss's excellent separate thread: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63662.0.html

Although I will have a lot more to say once I'm able to compile my complete tour, I will say for now that Sunningdale is the rare course that achieves grandiosity of scale on a property whose size (149 acres) shouldn't allow it. How? Topography, yes, but as anyone who knows anything about golf-course architecture will tell you, the real answer is routing, routing, routing. And who is responsible for that routing? Original credit belongs to Seth Raynor, although tweaks in the early years were made by both Walter Travis and A.W. Tillinghast. Honoring these heavyweights' work would be a daunting task for any architect, but DeVries, ever the historian, has been the perfect choice, enhancing their product with a flair all his own. (For additional information on the course's fascinating history and present, see the "Golf Course History" page on the club's website: http://www.sunningdale.org/Golf_(2).aspx)

The revamped opener at Sunningdale makes a strong statement, showcasing the appealing "lay of the land" aesthetic that characterizes much of DeVries's redesign. One might be forgiven for having flashbacks to the glorious 10th hole of the club's namesake outside of London.

DeVries's bunkering, seen here at both the 2nd (foreground) and 4th (background), recalls the rugged charm of an earlier era.

From the perched 4th tee, the lone water hazard at Sunningdale is top-inducing, but otherwise a welcome scenic distraction.

The ground movement at Sunningdale, seen here looking up at the 4th green, with the par-3 8th green to the left, is at once subtle and dramatic. DeVries writes: "The site is dominated by two broad ridges, one at the clubhouse and one in the middle of the front nine with an old stone water tower base that stands guard over the property. The holes are arranged creatively to work up, down, along, and astride these ridges in myriad ways that are constantly changing and fresh. The land is undulating but not too severe and the rhythm of the routing makes for a very pleasant walking course."

Cresting the hill by the 4th green yields a view of two glorious, vastly different par-4s that await: the short 5th, in the foreground, and the long, modified Alps 6th, in the distance. What the Site Committee of Sunningdale's Board of Directors wrote at the time of the course's opening in 1918 applies equally today: "The terrain is slightly rolling and so far as desirability, practicality and beauty, there are few locations in Westchester County superior to the proposed site."

The challenge at the 5th is the approach: to a devilish two-tiered green with a sharp fall off at the back edge. Note the deceiving visual comfort of the trees behind the green, suggesting a amphitheater-like receptiveness that does not exist.

From behind the 5th green, the Alps-like characteristics of the 6th unfurl along mostly flat, but hardly featureless, ground.

The perched 6th tee brings the true Alps feature of the hole into focus: a pre-green drop off, albeit one with bunkers before, as opposed to in, the dropoff, thereby allowing shorter players to run the ball up.

For me, birch trees evoke a summer drive through Western Massachusetts during childhood. At Sunningdale, they stand sentinel as counterpoints to the tree-clearing craze sweeping golf courses the world over.

As the golfer summits the Alps 6th, a glance behind and to the left offers a view of a taller peak ahead: the par-5 7th, which proceeds through a flat, bunkered-filled valley before rising sharply to a perched green guarded by the base of an old water tower.

The relic's imposing appearance distracts from the task at hand; golfers subconsciously steer approach shots toward it and away from the green, leaving longer birdie putts than hoped.

Looking back, the misdirection caused by the water tower becomes apparent. The bunker in the distance is greenside, but in name only.

At Sunningdale, it is the 10th, not the 9th, that leads players back to the clubhouse. After a downhill tee shot to an inviting fairway bordered on the right by a low stone wall, the hole plays uphill to a wild green full of DeVries's trademark pockets.

Emblematic of the site, the sweeping drop from the 10th tee to its fairway, seen here in reverse, is sizable yet gradual.

There is an old-school simplicity to a round at Sunningdale; well-placed benches between the 10th green and 11th tee invite a brief respite before the round's conclusion.

The 11th begins a trip down the side of another ridge, this one leading west from the clubhouse. Encircling the green, but still providing an opening, the bunkers recall the famed 15th at Shinnecock Hills.

The site's western ridge falls most steeply from the 12th tee to its green, which is far bigger than it appears from above.

With the centennial of its golf course a year away, Sunningdale has much to be proud of and, thanks to Mike DeVries and a dedicated golf committee, even more to look forward to in the century ahead. 
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 09:40:29 PM by Benjamin Litman »
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Peter Pallotta

Re: Sunningdale Country Club, NY (A Mini Photo Tour)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
Thanks, Benjamin - terrific as always.

re Mike D - from the one course of his I've played and others I've looked at/read about, he has an admirably 'light touch'. It's a very appealing approach, and none too common in any field; lots of good jazz pianists, even some who were technically great, weren't very good accompanists, i.e. at highlighting a tune's beauty or enhancing/supporting the vocalist.
It takes a light touch and exemplary taste to work *with* the land and/or with an existing golf course.   
« Last Edit: May 09, 2017, 10:20:59 PM by Peter Pallotta »

David Wuthrich

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 10:53:28 AM »

Can't wait to get there this year!

I have heard lots of good things.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2017, 12:39:13 PM »
Benjamin,

First of all, thank you for your excellent, well composed (partial!) tour. I am particularly gratified that the course has inspired you to do so. And by the way, if you ever consider diversifying your daytime work experience, consider photography. The images you provided are so stunning that henceforth, my camera, blushing with embarrassment, is going back in the closet to hide!

But now that Mike’s work is done, the question we’re starting to hear from raters who have been through is whether we consider ourselves a Raynor/Travis/ AW Tillinghast course or a Mike DeVries course. Here are the facts and I’ll let others weigh in:

Of the eighteen holes, our 1st through15th are faithful to the routing dating to 1930 when Sunningdale architect number three, AWT, completed his work, and his addition of the drop-shot par-3 12th was the only change of consequence to Raynor’s 1918 course. Mike’s final phase involved building three new holes (16, 17 and 18) and they changed the routing, though the 16th tee and the position of the 18th green changed only slightly. But Mike’s decision to do so has had an enormous positive impact, as these holes are just so much better than their predecessors. But still, one could argue that only three of the 16 holes are DeVries’, giving some measure of weight that the course is less Mike and more, shall we say, “Old Masters.”

That said, the strongest argument for proponents of the DeVries attribution camp: of the 18 greens that date back to the 1930 course, only one, Walter Travis’s 14th, is original (…and we’re talking about the interior of the 14th, only). All other greens are Mike’s. And going back in time, it was his ability to mold greens of real interest that in large part drove our decision to bring him into the project. There were several architects available to us who pretty much specialized in doing restoration work. But our course was so far gone that we needed someone whose body of work included a large amount of original design. (…and now I can say with great pride, in Mike, we hit the jackpot!)

Our DeVries course now displays a long overdue unified aesthetic. It’s steeped in tradition, beautifully restrained and successfully highlights the land. And as Benjamin points out, a round of golf now has a rhythm and flow to it that in great part is due to its routing.

So the heavy lifting is finally over. Though some punch list items remain, the three new holes are receiving notices that are really quite positive. The highest praise we have heard…the holes lay on the land as though they’ve been there forever. I think we can now apply that description to the entire course, and for that we have one person to thank…MDV!

So you can sort of guess which camp I’m in.

And Benjamin, Jim, David and I are looking forward to playing the whole course with you soon!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 02:27:58 PM by Michael J. Moss »

Jon Cavalier

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2017, 09:53:57 PM »
Beautiful stuff, Ben. What a great looking course!
Golf Photos via
Twitter: @linksgems
Instagram: @linksgems

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 06:00:04 AM »

But now that Mike’s work is done, the question we’re starting to hear from raters who have been through is whether we consider ourselves a Raynor/Travis/ AW Tillinghast course or a Mike DeVries course. Here are the facts and I’ll let others weigh in:

Of the eighteen holes, our 1st through15th are faithful to the routing dating to 1930 when Sunningdale architect number three, AWT, completed his work, and his addition of the drop-shot par-3 12th was the only change of consequence to Raynor’s 1918 course.

If I read this, I see a routing of:

• 14 holes = Raynor
  • 1 holes = Tilly
  • 3 holes = Mike D
  • 18 greens = Mike D
It is a Raynor/DeVries course. One man's very outside opinion!
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 06:36:56 AM »
I find this to be an interesting project as so often on a classic course all that needs to be done is to get the 100 yards thought the green back closer to its origins.  That is not what was done here the greens are all new yet look old to the uninformed.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
To me it sure passes the eye test: if we took Ben's beautiful photos and made them black and white, and then dropped in 4 golfers and 4 caddies dressed in period clothes,  I'd be transported back to Raynor's time - or at the very least what I *imagine* as Raynor's time.

corey miller

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2017, 12:50:39 PM »

I slightly disagree with Mike T as to where most classic courses have "gone wrong" and what general work needs to be done.

My belief is that 95% of restoration work could be done by a knowledgeable Superintendent with a enlightened and accepting membership.  Basically, it is the "buy-in" and that is a lot harder for a Super or Greens Chair to "sell" than it might be for Mike Devries. 

In most places focus on mowing lines, width, and basic golden age principles. 

As for Sunningdale......they should be proud, they have greatly improved to course.

I feel the most impressive part of the present course (never saw the previous incarnation) is the greens.  They are of a style that is very appealing to me and I told Mike D and Joe H personally that they feel "maxwellian" to me.  Still trying to put my finger on it because a lot of "modern" greens that attempt that style seem overdone, these seem just perfect for the property.

A great effort....

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2017, 02:24:42 PM »
Thank you, Ben. 

The fall colors you captured are superb!
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 10:16:41 AM »
Mike Sweeney...

"If I read this, I see a routing of:

•14 holes = Raynor
•1 holes = Tilly
•3 holes = Mike D
•18 greens = Mike D

It is a Raynor/DeVries course. One man's very outside opinion!"

I'm glad we agree!

Printed these up this spring..

Chris Shaida

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 06:41:33 PM »
I was fortunate to be able to play the Raynor/DeVries Sunningdale last weekend.  Fascinating greens,  very good routing, interesting and varied journey using the ridges in all ways and a heroic ending.

I can't imagine anyone who has or wants to play Kingsley wouldn't be rewarded with play at Sunningdale.  Similarly I can't imagine it being left off many NY Met area lists centered on architectural interest.

I hope I get a chance to play again.  A thorough pleasure.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2017, 09:59:14 PM »
I played today for the first time with Michael Moss as my gracious host. I also met Jim Gold on the back 9. They are both on the walls of Sunningdale as "past champions" on different plaques from different club championships.

Sunningdale was really interesting as Mike DeVries took a blended course and pulled off this "Raynor - DeVries Design". It was a cloudy day, so I did not want to compete with Ben's beautiful photography.

More to follow...
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

mark chalfant

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2017, 10:36:14 PM »

Ive always enjoyed Sunningdale,

But the restoration team here of Mike DeVries. the great greenkeeper,  and  Mike Moss hit a home run here. The new first green  and the splendid 6th are superb.  Great movement  in the terrain throughout

The elegant transformation  of the mundane 16-18 trio,  is now a stirring and challenging home stretch.  !

Thanks for great  photos Ben.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back