News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Duncan Cheslett

Re: Why are Par-3 18th holes so rare?
« Reply #75 on: March 08, 2017, 12:51:38 AM »
The best I've seen is at Ashton-under-Lyne, a very interesting course to the east of Manchester.

The last plays over a deep wooded ravine to a green directly under the clubhouse balcony, which on a Saturday is filled with cheering (or jeering) golfers enjoying a post-round drink.

If only they'd trim the foliage a little!

« Last Edit: March 08, 2017, 12:53:33 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Thomas Dai

« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2017, 02:23:14 AM »
The photo of the wonderful looking 18th at Pensacola posted above got me searching so here is Bill McB's course profile should others wish to read more - http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/pensacola-country-club/
atb

Thomas Dai

« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2017, 02:29:53 AM »
Haven't played it for years but Alister MacKenzies's Teignmouth GC in Devon has a 220yd 18th over an old quarry - http://www.teignmouthgolfclub.co.uk/course/hole_eighteen/

Also in Devon, Dartmouth GC has an epic long par-3 18th. Very steeply downhill and over a lake -

atb

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #78 on: April 01, 2017, 01:10:15 PM »
Stigma. It simply isn't done that much. Even Jeff's list proves that...30,000 golf courses in the world and just his list, which could probably be expanded to what...maybe a few hundred on regulation courses?

Arizona Grand is my only regulation course with a finishing par-3. And even this was once a short four until neighboring land was appropriated.

I think there is a general feeling that a demanding hole requiring several tests of golf — perhaps accuracy, carry and some length — is called for at the end of a match. I used to like par-5s, and still do, because they tend to somewhat equalize play if the length is "correct" and the risk-reward ample. Of course this equalization is also a trait of the par-3...but it seems not quite as demanding of multiple skills. Whereas the par-4 or par-5 requires a banger tee shot, a long club from through-the-green and (usually) an approach or short testy shot...plus the putts and green surround shots that may be at play.

BTW - A par-3 opening (first) hole is the best way to self regulate pace-of-play. A par-3 first hole simply meters the pace without much need to a starter. But we rarely see this at all.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #79 on: April 01, 2017, 01:58:33 PM »
BTW - A par-3 opening (first) hole is the best way to self regulate pace-of-play. A par-3 first hole simply meters the pace without much need to a starter. But we rarely see this at all.

Sorry to hijack the discussion, but this is something tossing around my head for quite some time. It's often advised that a par three should not be found early in a routing, as it can cause an unwanted back-up, but it seems to me that starting a round with a par 3 followed by a long par 4 would help to evenly start and distribute groups throughout a round and would be great strategy inherently built into the design. I'd also think mid-length par 3 starter could work as a really nice "gentle handshake" opener, something like the 4th at Belvedere.

Craig Van Egmond

« Reply #80 on: April 01, 2017, 04:48:39 PM »

My home course Lakeside Memorial ends in a par 3.  It was built in 1945.

The hole plays uphill, anywhere from 166 - 232 yards and the green is mostly blind. You can see the top of the flag.

Beast of a hole to end on actually.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #81 on: April 01, 2017, 04:51:03 PM »
Stigma. It simply isn't done that much. Even Jeff's list proves that...30,000 golf courses in the world and just his list, which could probably be expanded to what...maybe a few hundred on regulation courses?

Arizona Grand is my only regulation course with a finishing par-3. And even this was once a short four until neighboring land was appropriated.

I think there is a general feeling that a demanding hole requiring several tests of golf — perhaps accuracy, carry and some length — is called for at the end of a match. I used to like par-5s, and still do, because they tend to somewhat equalize play if the length is "correct" and the risk-reward ample. Of course this equalization is also a trait of the par-3...but it seems not quite as demanding of multiple skills. Whereas the par-4 or par-5 requires a banger tee shot, a long club from through-the-green and (usually) an approach or short testy shot...plus the putts and green surround shots that may be at play.

All true, but imagine if the nines at Yale were reversed. Being even or one up and facing that hole? I probably would just walk in for a beer.

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #82 on: April 01, 2017, 08:12:44 PM »

Forrest,

Very interesting observation regarding the potential virtue of a Par 3 as a starter. Never thought about that.
Tim Weiman

Martin Toal

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2017, 06:43:30 AM »
St Pierre (Old) and Forest or Arden, 2 courses formerly on the British leg of the European Tour, and both, strangely, Marriott resorts, had longish par-3s.

Both seemed to be simply the shortest way to get back to clubhouse level and are both uphill. Neither very noteworthy expect for list completists.

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2017, 10:16:32 AM »

Forrest,

Very interesting observation regarding the potential virtue of a Par 3 as a starter. Never thought about that.
It depends what sort of course you are looking at, it is certainly a consideration for a club that wants to be private. In most cases they are avoided because it serves up a commercial disaster because of the length of time it takes to play. I have done one but the key thought was "it has to be played in 8 minutes" so it was little 105 yarder to an island green and we can get it played in 8 minutes okay. It really helps with pace of play as it reduces numbers but at 11 or 12 minutes in reduces your till ringing considerably.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back