News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adrian_Stiff

Wytchwood Park
« on: September 05, 2012, 06:59:12 PM »
Wytchwood Park was on TV today....looked really nice, anyone played it? The pro's speak nicely of it.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Mark_Rowlinson

Re: Wytchwood Park
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 10:34:37 AM »
Adrian,

Do you mean Wychwood Park, near Crewe? Actually it doesn't matter whether you do or don't because I'm ashamed to say I have never been there despite the fact that it is probably fewer than 20 miles from me. You have prompted me to visit. Thank you for the prompt!

Mark.

Paul Nash

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 02:59:02 PM »
from what I have seen and read, it looks like one of the better "newer" courses, especially given its modest prices - there are some very strong positive comments on the Top 100 website, coupled with criticisms of conditioning - I would definitely play it. Just got back today from playing Hillside and Formby - both superb - and Sandiway, which is near Wychwood - and that is another very nice course that does not get much publicity

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:18:55 PM »
I played it back in 2003. It was good, remember an interesting par 5, have the yardage chart somewhere, a look at it would jog the memory a bit better.

I would say a day out there would be a good days golfing. Would like to see how it has matured after a few years.

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Marc Westenborg

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2012, 04:11:09 AM »
I was involved in the design of Wychwood Park with Hawtree Ltd and now live no more than 2 minutes down the road from it. It is an excellent example of how real estate/hotel/golf course developments can, if done properly, work well together. None of the Spanish style housing lined up either side of the fairway, but islands of housing instead with the holes routing between. Often, especially with the maturing of the trees, the housing is not imeddiately obvious.
The course is excellent but perhaps a little too challenging for the ordinary club golfer. However that was always the clients brief; Wychwood to be the tournament golf course, Gorstyhill across the road, to be the easier (and cheaper) option.
Its maintenance was certainly an issue but since De Veres have taking it over, there has been an improvement.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2017, 04:47:16 AM »
Any other input about this course?  I have the opportunity to play it in March, but have never heard of Wychwood.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2017, 05:49:44 AM »
Like Mark, I too have never played it despite living nearby.

I guess I have always dismissed Wychwood as a corporate hotel course, which generally hold little appeal for me. Also, that part of Cheshire is renowned for being rather heavy underfoot.

I have heard good things about Wychwood though, so I suppose I should make the effort one day. It certainly isn't expensive.

http://www.teeofftimes.co.uk/wychwood-park-golf-course/?searchDate=2017-01-13

It might make a good venue if I am drawn against Sean or Neil in the knockout!  :)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:15:23 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2017, 06:01:55 AM »

Wychwood to be the tournament golf course, Gorstyhill across the road, to be the easier (and cheaper) option.

I had never heard of Gorstyhill and certainly haven't played it.  It now looks like I never will...

http://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/cheshire-east-council-blocks-plans-for-900-homes-on-former-golf-course-near-crewe/story-29673041-detail/story.html

I have to confess that I find it rather amusing when inhabitants of an entirely new-build village mobilise in protest against the building of new homes in their vicinity...

... oh, the irony!   :D

https://wychwoodvillage.wordpress.com/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 06:44:49 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

MJohnson

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2017, 07:55:56 AM »
We played Wychwood a couple of weeks ago and I was not sure of what to expect. It turned out to be a very enjoyable day.

The course , although relatively new, is not a flat uninteresting one at all. The par 3s are a mix of long, medium and short and the short par fours have character too. We played on a windy day which made shot selection tough in places but there were spots that were sheltered to disrupt your decision making too.

It is certainly  a course I would not mind playing again maybe not every week.
2019 courses - Enville, Wharton Park,

David_Tepper

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back