News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Books on or about golf architecture have been few and far between since the last Guide was published. There was Josh Evenson's ode to St. Andrews with contributions from Nuzzo, Coore, et al. and Chris Buie's book about Donald Ross hits the shelves next month. While golf publishing was been quiet elsewhere, Tom Doak has churned out three volumes in three years. Volume 3 (North America in summer) began shipping last month and compared to its precursors (and followers for that matter) is unsurpassed in terms of both quantity and quality of courses evaluated.

Perhaps more than either of its predecessors, this volume highlights the merits of updating the Guide. For example, think about how substantially golf in the Pacific Northwest has been changed by new course construction (Bandon, Bend, Chambers Bay, Gozzer Ranch, Rock Creek, Gamble Sands, etc.). Plus, Tom had never seen and shared his thoughts on Thompson’s two best, Jasper and Banff. Another big winner was Upstate New York, which helped rekindle Tom’s appreciation for Donald Ross, especially the variety found on the Scot’s courses spared the indignity of updating for the sake of hosting championships. Among the losers that didn’t resonate with the reviewers were expensive venues with pristine (unnatural!) playing conditions and courses that aren't walkable.

One of the neat things about being involved in the series is that Tom has graciously allowed each author to have one of Josh Smith's cover paintings. Unfortunately, my new boss (a.k.a. Mrs. Morrissett) has declared a moratorium on golf art …  but as a Montanan she has a weakness for Big Sky Country.  So, because Rock Creek rivals Barnbougle and Cape Kidnappers as my favorite Doak and its 10th hole is a sensational par 5 that actually lends itself to being painted, I lobbied for it as the cover, knowing that my new bride would acquiesce. Tom was initially loathe to use one of his own courses but ultimately obliged as it perfectly met his two mandates, namely that the hole needs to be largely unknown and that it makes you itch to play golf.

Tom takes tremendous pride in The Confidential Guide brand and has a very strong sense of obligation to make these books the best they can be. One look at the globe makes it obvious that the going gets tougher for Volumes 4 and 5. Those parts of the world are much richer in culture than golf and the golf is often remote. While there will be some real gems like the Himalaya Golf Club (which he saw several years ago), it will mostly be bits of quartz out there. Most of us travel to see great golf but Tom travels to see a much broader palette of courses. Someone like Ron Fream has traveled an insane amount of distance for the sake of golf course architecture but dare I say, it would be hard to match Tom for miles covered.

So that Tom & company can cover sufficient ground, a new volume will not be released in 2017. Meanwhile, chunky Volume 3 will have to suffice. All tastes should be satiated by the plethora of great golf from the coasts of Cape Breton to the US's best state for golf (NY), from the mountains of North Carolina to the prairie, by discovering hidden delights around a forgotten golf city like Cleveland or a forgotten golf state like Iowa, and touring the aforementioned glorious Pacific Northwest.

Best,
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 11:19:30 AM by Ran Morrissett »

Peter Pallotta

Re: Feature Interview with Tom Doak on Volume 3 of TCG now posted
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 08:04:37 PM »
Reading the interview (and vol. 3), and noting how many American golden age (e.g. Ross) courses Tom saw/rated for the first time, I realized what should've long been obvious, ie that in Tom's case "the artist as a young man" focused his studies and began his creative life not at home with the great work that was closest at hand but instead with a long journey abroad, and with work that had taken on a nearly mythical status. I guess his subsequent career demonstrates that you *can* go home again -- though  the *you* that comes home is much different than the one who left.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 09:52:25 PM »
Am still waiting to receive my copy
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2016, 04:35:00 PM »
As am I, haven't even received an email yet.

Sven
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Buck Wolter

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 01:13:43 PM »
As am I, haven't even received an email yet.

Sven

I know Tom is traveling --I sent him a PM and he said if I hadn't received my book there was a problem with the CC and he sent me contact info for the guy working the issues--I am going to call  tomorrow and will ask if I can post his contact info here.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Ian Andrew

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2016, 07:07:06 AM »

I am pleased to say I got to watch Tom experience Kummel for the first time on his tour around Montreal.  ;D
I'm hopeful that the video from this trip comes to life ...

I was surprised at how many additional courses he went to see in Upper and Western New York.
And I'm glad Glens Falls was one of them.
With every golf development bubble, the end was unexpected and brutal....

Terry Lavin

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »
Nice brief interview!  I am particularly impressed by the comments about the great golf in Iowa.  I've heard some chatter about Davenport's restoration on the site and some other comments about Wakonda and the other courses mentioned, but this sounds like a nice four-day car trip for me and a few buddies next summer.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back