News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Dick's to purchase Golfsmith and....
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2016, 04:14:11 PM »

Rebranding to Golf Galaxy is in progress- POP systems are being changed as are SKUs. New signage will happen soon. The new website is up under golfgalaxy.com and the old golfsmith.com references but does not link golfgalaxy.com

My local Golfsmith store on Bell Road in Peoria, AZ confirmed all of this today. In the meantime, a PGA Superstore has taken over a former Sports Authority location nearby and will open soon.  Also, Dick's stock has taken off YTD but is down today as weaker earnings are forecast.. http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/dks?ltr=1
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 05:28:10 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve Lang

Re: Dick's to purchase Golfsmith and....Rebranding is now in progress
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2016, 09:42:49 PM »
 8)  Steve S.,

Have you been in the PGA Superstore?  Ours also moved into a defunct Sports Authority space (40,000 square ft), as i said before, club maker's shop is at front door, with large putting area next to it, and then that side of store is full of hitting bays... across from racks of clubs and clubs and more clubs...   

in middle are clothes etc, other wall is full of shoes, and [size=78%]in other back corner is a tennis hitting cage and a guy stringing rackets...[/size]

this is all serious competition at play.

should be interesting
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2016, 10:36:24 PM »

@Steve

PGA Superstore has 3 locations in Scottsdale/PHX. I presume the new one (#4) will have the same layout as you described. The 3 here now do. Yes, it's serious competition between these 2 players plus there's a Van's about 3-5 miles west on Bell Road. All of these stores feed off of the Sun Cities golfers for the most part.

Also, I understand that the Golfsmith in house brands will disappear- MacGregor, Lynx & Snake Eyes- as Dick's has their own- TopFlite, Maxfli, Slazenger & Walter Hagen.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Howard Riefs

Re: Dick's to purchase Golfsmith and....
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2016, 09:39:14 AM »

Rebranding to Golf Galaxy is in progress- POP systems are being changed as are SKUs. New signage will happen soon. The new website is up under golfgalaxy.com and the old golfsmith.com references but does not link golfgalaxy.com

My local Golfsmith store on Bell Road in Peoria, AZ confirmed all of this today. In the meantime, a PGA Superstore has taken over a former Sports Authority location nearby and will open soon.  Also, Dick's stock has taken off YTD but is down today as weaker earnings are forecast.. http://finance.yahoo.com/quote/dks?ltr=1

This explains why I've started receiving Golf Galaxy emails as of yesteday.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »

A bit OT, but I went into the PGA Superstore near me the other day, since its about time for new clubs (maybe self gift for Xmas).  Despite me standing in the new club section for about 45 minutes, and there being a half dozen or more employees in the store, not one came up to ask if I had any questions.

Based on this customer service example, there is probably room for Dick's to do well in the golf arena.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

BHoover

« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
I really haven't purchased a golf club at Dick's, Golf Galaxy of Golfsmith in years. I do go there for things like gloves, shoes, and balls.

My new favorite golf store is Second Swing Golf here in Minneapolis. As someone who loves used clubs, it's like heaven.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:41:39 AM by Brian Hoover »

Tim Martin

« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2016, 11:08:20 AM »
I really haven't purchased a golf club at Dick's, Golf Galaxy of Golfsmith in years. I do go there for things like gloves, shoes, and balls.

My new favorite golf store is Second Swing Golf here in Minneapolis. As someone who loves used clubs, it's like heaven.

There is a place in Hartford Ct called Mike's Discount golf that occupy''s the space that was the original "Golfer's Warehouse". Ironically the owner is the son of a PGA Pro who was also the original owner of "Golfers Warehouse". The son started early on with an ebay business and now has an incredible selection of used clubs to be had at great prices. Always fun to go in and see what they have and you can source stuff online if you are looking for something specific.

Pat Burke

« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2016, 01:56:07 PM »

@Steve

PGA Superstore has 3 locations in Scottsdale/PHX. I presume the new one (#4) will have the same layout as you described. The 3 here now do. Yes, it's serious competition between these 2 players plus there's a Van's about 3-5 miles west on Bell Road. All of these stores feed off of the Sun Cities golfers for the most part.

Also, I understand that the Golfsmith in house brands will disappear- MacGregor, Lynx & Snake Eyes- as Dick's has their own- TopFlite, Maxfli, Slazenger & Walter Hagen.

Was going to post about the name St hat Golfsmith owned.  Some great names in golf equipment history, especially MacGregor.  I know it's not the real MacGregor, but I always picked up a MacGregor when I saw one in Golfsmith for old times sake

David_Tepper

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
"Some great names in golf equipment history, especially MacGregor.  I know it's not the real MacGregor, but I always picked up a MacGregor when I saw one in Golfsmith for old times sake"

Pat B. -

It is interesting to see how old-school brand names can drop by the wayside. With the demise of Sport Authority, Tommy Armour & Silver Scot are two more classic brand names destined for the scrap heap.

Back in the days of wooden tennis & squash rackets, I remember when T.A. Davis and Bancroft had meaningful market share.

It is also interesting to see how/when some of those brand names get revived. Who would have thought that the Munsingwear Penguin and Fred Perry logos would be worn by today's hipsters/milllenials?

DT     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back