News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Nigel Islam

Re: If all distance measuring devices were eliminated, would we
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2016, 11:28:29 AM »
Marshall versus the machine?

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2016, 11:48:36 PM »

Having recently played some courses where distance measuring devices were prohibited

There is no such thing as a club that prohibits measuring devices.

I just played two clubs that specifically prohibit the use of measuring devices.

They are prohibited by the rules of golf.

Not true, only under certain circumstances.
Reread Appendix IV (5)

P.S. - Rangefinders enhance the architecture. As Marshall McLuhan opined, "Persons grouped around a fire or candle for warmth or light are less able to pursue independent thoughts, or even tasks, than people supplied with electric light." My friends who played Winged Foot in the U.S. Amateur Four Ball this year were delighted with the task of hitting to exact spots and slopes on the green using a rangefinder and yardage book in combination.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #27 on: September 08, 2016, 01:49:32 AM »
I've played several courses where distance devices are banned, however I was forced to take a caddie. Unless you tell them to give you zero advice and act like a mule the only way to have a true experience is to play a course without sprinkler numbers.

I'd say a caddie who can read greens dumbs down the GCA experience and saves far, far more shots than a distance number.
Cave Nil Vino

JESII

« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2016, 06:42:12 PM »
If the ground is firm, the key yard ages are something other than the flag. This should drive greater appreciation for what the architect has built.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back