News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matthew Prince

Golf in Hawaii
« on: September 01, 2016, 09:16:08 AM »
I'm heading to Hawaii in November and probably will play one round of golf, and one only. I'll be on Kauai and the Big Island. The choice seems to be between playing Princeville Makai on Kauai, or Hualelei on the Big Island  (from what I can tell, it's not really possible to get on Nanea or one of the other top private courses).

Anyone have experience at these courses and have a recommendation of which to play? Or a suggestion of a different public golf course on Kauai or the Big Island? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Brad Tufts

Re: Golf in Hawaii
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 09:41:54 AM »
Hi Matt,

I will also be in Hawaii in November, but over on Maui.  I've been a bunch of times to all the major islands, and here's my take on Kauai/Big Island:

Kauai...I have not played the newly-renovated Princeville Makai, but my recommendation is always Wailua.  Public, cash-only, former host of the US Publinks...just a fun, windy test.  Definitely not an upscale resort course like most of the others, but a fun, windy test that will surprise you!  I like this one better than Kauai Lagoons (also have not seen the latest modified version).  I also like Poipu Bay where they used to have the Grand Slam, but if you are staying at Princeville, that's over an hour away.  I also recommend the Prince Course for a single play.  Despite being mind-bendingly weird in spots, and really penal...it is totally unique playing through the rainforest, etc.  Not bad for a one-off where you don't really care about your score.

Big Island:  Nanea and Kukio are the big privates, both very good courses but pretty exclusive.  There's a new private near the airport called Kohanaiki that is supposed to be decent...not sure how private they are in the early going.  I also played Hualalai (the public one) on the last trip, and its very nice and pretty darn good.  I've heard the Waikoloa courses are a bit boring, and people like Mauna Kea and Mauna Lani if your needs include hitting a couple over-the-ocean shots.  Hapuna looks linksy from the road and a few plays on the old Links video game.  The only other two I have played on the Big Island are Kona CC (Alii)...NLE, and Pukalani, which is a local-type public course on the way up Haleakala.

Questions?  Fire away...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Chris DeToro

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 10:47:02 AM »
I played both Makai and Poipu Bay during my trip to Hawaii a couple of years ago.  Enjoyed both a lot, but I would go with Makai over Poipu Bay.  Makai is pretty dramatic and the cliffs and scenery in that part of the island are just spectacular.  The golf course is quite good too

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 11:08:57 AM »
I've played most of them on Big Island and Kauai.

Interestingly enough, for me, it is sometimes a "weather thing" for Kauai.
The north shore there near Hanalei Bay is one of the wettest places in the "US". I've been there before where it has rained for 4 straight days. We ended up driving to south shore to Poipu to see the sun. The Prince course is fun, but quirky, and you will lose at least a sleeve of balls unless you just stripe every shot.

As for the Big Island, I preferred Hapuna for its views and linksy feel.
I also played some Pete Dye course at the top of the mountain and thought it was very cool. 15 degrees cooler and MUCH greener, too. Bumped into Celine Dion there....;-)

Mauna Kea is a classic. The others are a bit generic. Mauna Lani is OK, but play the south course as there is more lava....
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:07:17 PM by Ian Mackenzie »

Mike Bowen

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2016, 11:24:09 AM »
Mauna Kea is a is a nice course and a really good "test" if your into that kind of thing.  Seems like every green is raised well above the fairway.  I can't imagine playing it with a low ball flight.

Hapuna is really fun and probably my favourite for the price.  There are a couple greens that are jammed in because of cart paths but overall is enjoyable.

Waikoloa beach course is not worth playing.  The Kings course is more enjoyable but a bit bland.

Mauna Lani has two pretty good courses that can be extrememly penal due to the lava.  If your only playing one round it's pretty neat to see but I can't imagine playing it every day.

I got a tour on Nanea but wasn't able to play it.  If you have connections this would be my recommendation.

On a side note I emailed and wrote letters to all of the private clubs hoping to leverage my CPGA status for a round of golf or maybe a tour of the course.  The only one to respond and have me out was Nanea and it is the most private of the clubs.  I was over the moon and greatly appreciated it.  I found it a bit frustrating that all of the other pros didn't even respond.  I get that they probably get a thousand requests a year but a response would of been good.  Perhaps part of the supposed decline of the game are due to my fellow colleagues.

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »
oops

Dave McCollum

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 01:40:47 PM »
Hualalai is a big wide resort course and very playable.  I played with my kids who really don’t play.  They contributed a lot of balls to the lava, but I think I didn’t lose one and I’m just an average hack.  It’s such a relaxing place, it would be a shame to get beat up by the golf and it certainly lives up to that.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Golf in Hawaii New
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2016, 01:51:18 PM »
Mauna Kea is the best resort course on the island by a long shot. Hapuna is a sister course inland and is great fun. It isn't a great course but it is worth a shot. It can get windy there, however. I found Hualalai very boring. There was plenty of lave but I found most holes lacked any strategic value. The Big Island CC is a Dye course with the island green and a great 18th hole. It is pretty scenic but just ok. Mauna Lani are pretty but not architecturally worth a visit.
Hokulia is a private Nicklaus course but I think you might be able to access it.  It is a stunner.

I actually like Kauai Lagoons. Poipu is also pretty good. I haven't played the Makai course since its recent iteration. I guess the Prince course is now private but I hear it may go back to public and I'm not sure it has reopened yet.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2018, 09:56:32 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2016, 03:28:27 PM »
No other love for Wailua?

If it were California, it would be a GCA muni darling.

It gets extra fun points for a 60s-era whitewashed cinder block clubhouse, the HUGE ancient leather sign-in book controlled by the guy at the payment window, and the ubiquitous Hawaii-labeled Bud heavy cans available in the bar.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2016, 04:50:54 PM »
I enjoyed the Makai course on Kauai, but it's a bit feast or famine. The holes out on and near the cliffs are good (there's a really nice short par 4 right along the cliffs on the back side), but a lot of the inland holes are pretty meh from a GCA standpoint. The Prince course is more dramatic and much more difficult, but more consistent (but still closed right now, I guess).

Wailua is OK in my opinion but I actually think sort of overrated by some, in a strange way. It's an OK course and in a great spot but I don't really think there are any special holes there. The value rate is there, for sure. You can usually get out at Wailua for under $50 and most everything else will be $200 or more. And frankly even several of the really pricey Kauai options are really not so great--Poipu Bay has never done much for me and though I liked a lot of holes at Kauai Lagoons (different name now, I think) being right next to the airport is a minus.

For me, the two courses (only Makai being open now) are the top attraction on Kauai. After that:

- Kukui-ula, if you can get access
- Wailua and/or Kiahuna which had nice holes but poor conditions when I played it years ago, I understand it's in better shape now. You can play both of these courses for less than one round at others.
- Kauai Lagoons
- Poipu

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back