News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Greg Hohman

Driving in June from San Diego CA to Charlotte NC, I would enjoy a break to play along the I-10 and I-20. Ideas in the inexpensive range, preferably nine holes?

Not AZ, no disrespect intended. I exclude it because I am more likely to play there in the future than points east.

(Later in the trip, there is a scheduled break to watch: the U.S. Open Wednesday practice round.)

Thanks.
newmonumentsgc.com

Dave August

Re: beside the I-10 and I-20 (inexpensive, preferably nine holes)
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2016, 06:45:18 PM »
The Refuge in Brandon MS, close to the airport, is a nice track that should fit the bill.  It might be 5 min off I-20 just east of Jackson.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2016, 08:02:09 PM »
I'm not familiar with any nine hole courses along I-10 but there are many affordable courses. 

Rees Milikin

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2016, 10:23:16 PM »
Aiken Golf Club is about 6 miles off of I-20.  5900 yards, 18 holes for the price of 9, excellent green complexes, and perfect atmosphere.

Jason Topp

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2016, 10:46:20 PM »
Dallas/Fort Worth is a good place to think about.  It is about half way and likely in an area where you might want to stop for the night.  I have found the courses there to be good and the pricing quite reasonable compared to other large cities.

Stevens Park and Tenison Park are municipal options.  I have played neither but Stevens Park recently was renovated to glowing reviews from Golfweek and Tenison is where Lee Trevino honed his game. 

There are a bunch of other higher end publics that I suspect would be reasonably priced .  Texas Star has a $37 weekday twilight rate that might be perfect.  I have played there and really liked it.

http://www.texasstargolf.com

Steve Lang

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2016, 11:30:52 PM »
 8)  Watch your speed through LA, I-10 or I-20
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

mike_beene

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2016, 12:39:47 AM »
Not too far out of the way is Pine Dunnes in pin East Texas near Tyler which is generally ranked in the top 20 or so Texas courses, feels like a Pinehurst course with the same sand, and is very reasonably priced. Actually in ?Frankston, Texas and perhaps a halfway point.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2016, 03:33:30 PM »
Tangle Ridge Golf Club, designed by our very own Jeff Brauer, is a very solid muni about ten miles south of I-20, south of Dallas.  I recall that the rates were quite reasonable even for non-residents.

Joe Hellrung

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2016, 04:13:13 PM »

Try the Charlie Yates golf course in Atlanta.  It is a par 30 located right across the street from East Lake, and is minutes from I-20. 

http://www.charlieyatesgolfcourse.com/

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2016, 05:27:56 PM »
I-10 through New Orleans comes within a few miles of Audubon Park, which Tom Doak wrote a glowing review of in the Gourmet's Choice section of the most recent Confidential Guide.

Of course, many people making that drive take the I-12 bypass east from Baton Rouge and avoid the southern detour to Newlines.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2016, 05:36:48 PM »
I would second the nominations of Audubon Park or Pine Dunes.  But NOLA is pretty far out of your way if you're headed to Charlotte.

There is also that Gil Hanse course near Tuscaloosa; I can't remember the name of it since I haven't been there myself.

BCrosby

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2016, 05:41:22 PM »

There is also that Gil Hanse course near Tuscaloosa; I can't remember the name of it since I haven't been there myself.

It was called Capstone. I think it is now closed. Anyone have an update?

Bob

Bill_McBride

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2016, 06:21:53 PM »

It was called Capstone. I think it is now closed. Anyone have an update?

Bob

Google says "permanently closed."   I wonder why, I think was affiliated with that prestigious institute of higher learning in Tuscaloosa.

Rees Milikin

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2016, 11:20:29 PM »
Candler Park in Atlanta is 9 holes, old school, super cheap, in a cool area, and only 2 miles from I-20.

BCrosby

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2016, 09:00:11 AM »
Sad about Capstone. It was a good course. Friends in the area said it was too far out of town and didn't get much play. I was surprised to hear it had closed. I wonder if the RTJ Trail had something to do with it. There were high hopes for a UofA affiliation at one time.

Bob
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:38:32 AM by BCrosby »

Trey Kemp

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2016, 09:11:29 AM »
I just played Butterfield Trail in El Paso for $35 and it was a nice Fazio course.  I would also recommend Stevens Park in Dallas and Pine Dunes in Frankston, TX. 
twitter.com/TreyKempGCA

Bill_McBride

« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2016, 09:52:53 AM »
Sad about Capstone. It was a good course. Friends in the area said it was too far out of town and didn't get much play. I was surprised to hear it had closed. I wonder if the RTJ Trail had something to do with it. There were high hopes for a UofA affiliation at one time.

Bob

I don't think there's an RTJ Trail course as close to Tuscaloosa. 

Greg Hohman

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2016, 03:14:26 PM »
Thank you very much for the suggestions! If I have something to report, I’ll add to this thread upon my return.
newmonumentsgc.com

Keith Grande

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2016, 03:23:37 PM »
Right outside San Diego is Todd Eckenrode's excellent Barona Creek.  Great way to start the trip!

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2016, 05:36:11 PM »
Right outside San Diego is Todd Eckenrode's excellent Barona Creek.  Great way to start the trip!

But I-10 starts in LA  ;)

Keith Grande

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »

Greg Hohman

« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »
I was unable to play on the eastbound leg, and did not sound you for options on the return journey because complications (my wife is an invalid) were anticipated along it too. Thanks again for your suggestions, which will be saved for future reference.

Rather than flail away at course reviews in this company, I’ll confine myself to general remarks about the road trip's three golf experiences, one as a spectator. The two playing opportunities met my two basic requirements: inexpensive and good (for mid-day Friday rounds on public tracks) pace of play.

My Charlotte NC brother took me to Springfield Golf Club (Clyde Johnston, 2001) across the border in Fort Mill SC. Springfield, described as the most difficult public course in the area, is somewhat hilly, which I understand makes it unusual in these parts, and well maintained. It nevertheless got me hot under the collar for three reasons: the greens were being aerated, I played horribly, and the weather was so muggy that I had to submit to the indignity of a cart after five holes.

South Park Muni (Paul B. Riis, 1929) south of Pittsburgh PA is not on “best of” lists, and online comments led me to expect poor maintenance. I was a single paired with Tony from Florida, who spent two years in the Peace Corps in the 60s before being ordered to Vietnam – until reassigned at the last minute to the space program. The retired engineer’s run of good fortune continued when our starter, reversing an earlier decision for no discernible reason, ended our wait on the first tee by releasing us into an empty back nine under cooling morning clouds. The course turned out to be in good condition, with the exception of the bunkers (hard, wet sand; pools of water), of which there were mercifully few. Plentiful trees did not interfere with play (same at Springfield), nor was there a traffic jam at the turn. While SP’s hilly fairways and uncomplicated greens are arguably “one note,” the absence of houses is a consolation prize, contributing to the atmosphere of “unspoiled nature.” Why South Park? To research my story about the United Golf Association, or “Chitlin’ Circuit,” and Billy Eckstine.

The DG knows more about Oakmont than I ever will, but I’ll give a few impressions. I was struck most by the tightness of the property (I have never been to an old, private club), including the close proximity of the tees and greens. The rough looked as juicy and abundant as billed, the fairways and greens as perilous. The place was impressive, and could be appreciated more as the heat dissipated and the crowds thinned. The vibe, from the players to the volunteers, was friendly. On top of everything, I achieved my ulterior motive of conducting research for a story about Oakmont, which will be unlike anything written about it before. For a preview of Secret of the Orphanage, see my site <newmonumentsgc.com>. 

newmonumentsgc.com

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Greg -

1. This is a terrific bit of writing:

"I was a single paired with Tony from Florida, who spent two years in the Peace Corps in the 60s before being ordered to Vietnam – until reassigned at the last minute to the space program. The retired engineer’s run of good fortune continued when our starter, reversing an earlier decision for no discernible reason, ended our wait on the first tee by releasing us into an empty back nine under cooling morning clouds."

2. Bless you for thinking to write about Billy Eckstine, and about golf and Billy Eckstine.  If you could somehow find a way to drop Jimmy Demaret into the mix, you'd have perfection I think.

3. Just had time for a short glimpse at newmonumentsgc.com...it looks to be a real charmer.

Peter

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back