News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

Re: Olympic Golf
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2016, 09:52:26 AM »
It isn't and never will be an amateur event. The likelihood of the IOC accepting golf into the Games based on the medals being contested by people no-one has ever heard of is nil. Golf is in on trial for two Olympiads. If the players don't embrace it, it will then be out.
So: an organization supposedly dedicated to the celebration and promotion of amateur sports won't consider hosting a golf tournament during its sole and signature event, the Olympics, unless it is populated by professionals, and yet we expect those professionals to take that organization and that tournament and its 'Olympic Gold' seriously? If the IOC so blatantly and obviously operates out of pure self interest, how can it legitimately ask pro golfers to act any differently? If it is the 'real world' the IOC wants to pla in, well, they are getting a real world response. The best golfers on the planet get nothing at all from participating in the Olympics, and so they're not going.

The Olympics has not been about amateur sport for decades.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:30 AM »
Well then, Adam, it's about nothing at all, IMO. If 'it hasn't been about amateur sports' for decades, it is nothing more than another private sector, money grabbing sports entertainment entity that has to compete with all other such entities -- e.g. professional wrestling, the PGA tour, major league baseball, MMA, the NHL etc etc.  So, let the IOC compete as best it can, and let the private contractors/professional athletes make their choices accordingly.
Peter       

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2016, 10:11:33 AM »
Peter

It is an old refrain but the top end of amateur golf probably hasn’t been truly amateur for decades also. My club hosts a couple of top amateur events each year and at the last one, the winner who recently won a national title, was dressed head to toe in a particular golf companies gear, as was his caddy, his father and his girlfriend who all followed him round the course.
I’m not sure why the Olympics should be any different but then I wouldn’t have golf in it anyway.

Niall

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2016, 10:33:13 AM »
Niall -

that's all I'm saying, i.e. if it is nothing more than a cynical charade and if everyone is now part of the same hypocrisy, then at least spare me that hand wringing and pious platitudes about duty to country and obligations to serve the game. In other words, IMO neither Rory nor any other top pro needs to justify their decision not to go.     

Mike_Young

« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2016, 10:38:14 AM »
It isn't and never will be an amateur event. The likelihood of the IOC accepting golf into the Games based on the medals being contested by people no-one has ever heard of is nil. Golf is in on trial for two Olympiads. If the players don't embrace it, it will then be out.

Adam,
I think you are right.  It would be a good am event but the pros will never embrace it and Zika is just the best excuse.  Seems most of the top pros actually don't want to be there because they have not been assured of the proper security.  The average Olympic athlete doesn't have any money with the exception of the basketball players and a lone world class swimmer etc.  Thus the golf professionals are an open target.  I think many of the agents have tried to stress this and it has not been answered.  As you know the European Tour security is exceptional especially with some events like the one they had on the Black Sea( can't recall name)  The Olympics have not shown such security to the satisfaction and all it takes is one celebrity kidnapping. 
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2016, 10:40:19 AM »
It will all be worth it if Bubba gets the bronze.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2016, 11:05:31 AM »
Honestly,

I'm not sure why everyone is so hung up on the amateur aspect of the Olympics.  If anything, the true intent of the Olympics has been to gather the best in the world in  various sports and see who is the best of the best.

The fact that many are still amateurs is only because there is no mainstream professional swimming league, rowing league, archery league, etc, etc....that pays top $$$ like the major sports.  If the leagues and demand were there for every Olympic sport, every participant would very much be "professionals" themselves.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2016, 11:07:29 AM »
Correct. Further, I don't buy into the 'amateur' ethos anyway. It is a legacy of a class-divided society where the wealthy created a hierarchy that made them believe they were superior.
Adam Lawrence

BCowan

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2016, 11:10:24 AM »
Adam,

I know where you are coming from but there are many more self made men today that aren't blue blood amateurs that believe in those ethos

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
Possibly, but that's the root of the divide. And I find it pretty pernicious.
Adam Lawrence

Andrew Buck

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2016, 11:39:13 AM »
Correct. Further, I don't buy into the 'amateur' ethos anyway. It is a legacy of a class-divided society where the wealthy created a hierarchy that made them believe they were superior.

Amen. 

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2016, 12:23:14 PM »
Mike Young having involved in the firearms plan for 2012, spent  a weekend with the military in the athletes village on "exercise", conducted surveillance on and arrested those intent on causing terror at the games, witnessed surface to air missiles in London parks, etc. There was even a chinook equipped QRF to get to any games site and fast jets on 24/7 patrol over London. I can assure you the European Tour doesn't have 1% of the security deployed in London for the 2012 games.
Cave Nil Vino

Mike_Young

« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2016, 01:29:42 PM »
Mark,
I'm sure you are right.  I'm not comparing Euro Tour security to a country's security forces.  I'm saying the Euro tour takes security much more seriously than does the US PGA Tour.  And presently many of the pros who might play for their various countries are not going due to the lack of security in Brazil.  I don't know if you have ever spent time there but it is not London and with the economic woes of the country I would wager they are not as secure as the event you describe in 2012.  So, however it needs to be described, security is the major sticking point for the pros. 

Dean Stokes

« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
McDowell out....they are dropping like flies....it may become an amateur event at this rate ;D  anyone know how the course is ;) ?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2016, 03:30:01 PM »
A friend of mine was there this week doing the yardage books.
He loved the course thinking it a mix of El Saler, Troia (Portugal) and the sandbelt.
Said 'Greens have 70% grass cover - Not good'

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2016, 06:33:40 PM »
Exactly - Baron Pierre de Cobourtin wanted only amateurs to keep the riff-raff out of the games, just like in golf not so long ago when professionals weren't even allowed in the clubhouse as anyone uncouth enough to accept money to play or teach golf was surely not a gentleman!

Mike_Young

« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2016, 07:20:39 PM »
And Lebron is out now also....

BCowan

« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2016, 07:40:35 PM »
Exactly - Baron Pierre de Cobourtin wanted only amateurs to keep the riff-raff out of the games, just like in golf not so long ago when professionals weren't even allowed in the clubhouse as anyone uncouth enough to accept money to play or teach golf was surely not a gentleman!

We changed that in Toledo! 

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #43 on: June 23, 2016, 07:44:40 PM »
Wayne, Adam et al - I can see and appreciate your point of view as well re the class-divide in the early amateur days. But when you mention Baron Pierre de Cobourtin (then), I think of Jacques Rogge (now).

Again, my only point is that if the Olympics is a money-driven, professional event, then we can't blame professionals for saying "thanks but no thanks - I'll make my money elsewhere".

jeffwarne

« Reply #44 on: June 23, 2016, 10:03:39 PM »
Call me naive
I'm disappointed.
I would play(wearing bugspray) if at all possible, but I guess I'm sentimental and think playing in the Olympics would be really cool.
Exactly how money does a world wide star golfer need?

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Carl Rogers

« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2016, 07:05:49 AM »
Golf, meaning the organizations and the players, have no commitment (meaning make $$$)to the Olympics and thus Golf should not be in the Olympics.

The street moves in two directions.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back