News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Indian Hills CC - Kansas City (Tillinghast)
« on: May 10, 2016, 11:39:02 AM »
I am playing Indian Hills CC outside of Kansas City in a few weeks while in town for a wedding. I did a search on here looking for any insight and didn't find much of anything other than it's a Tillinghast design. Has anyone here played it before? It looks fairly interesting from a Google Maps Aerial.
H.P.S.

Tom_Doak

Re: Indian Hills CC - Kansas City (Tillinghast)
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2016, 01:56:01 PM »
If you are going to play it anyway, why try to find someone here to praise or trash it?  Just go play and then let us know what you thought! 

PCCraig

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2016, 02:14:20 PM »
If you are going to play it anyway, why try to find someone here to praise or trash it?  Just go play and then let us know what you thought! 

I was just curious, as I couldn't find anything about the course (other than the designer). I know next to nothing about golf in Kansas City. Regardless, I will post back here once I play it and let everyone know my thoughts.
H.P.S.

MCirba

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:04 PM »
Pat,

I'll be interested, as well.   Business is likely to take me to KC more than a few times in the next few years (never been there prior) and I'm excited to see Tilly's Swope Park Muni, as well.   
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

PCCraig

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2016, 03:02:40 PM »
Pat,

I'll be interested, as well.   Business is likely to take me to KC more than a few times in the next few years (never been there prior) and I'm excited to see Tilly's Swope Park Muni, as well.

Mike,

I also saw the Swope Park Muni and that looks really interesting. Don't know if I'll have time to see it this visit, but I will be there again in just 11 months for another wedding! So that might be next on the list.

However, I've been told that Oklahoma Joe's is a must visit for BBQ? 
H.P.S.

MCirba

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 03:30:00 PM »
Pat,

Thanks for the insight on the BBQ.   I'm probably heading there this fall for the first time.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Brad Tufts

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 04:31:31 PM »
I've played Swope and Ross's Hillcrest....both public and cheap, and both worth seeing!

Never thought I'd see that much ground movement in KC, but I admit I knew little of the city's landscape before visiting.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 05:17:10 PM »
I travel to KC quite a bit for work and have played a couple courses. Haven’t played IHCC yet, but have played Kansas City CC a number of times and quite liked it, although I haven’t been back since Tom Watson reworked a couple holes (#4 and #5 I think). From what my KCCC host tells me, IHCC is considered the #2 course behind KCCC, and plays over similar terrain… maybe a little less rolling. I would call KCCC a Doak 7 (worth checking out if your within 100 miles), so maybe IHCC is a 6 (a very good course, definitely worth game if you’re in town).
Now on to the BBQ topic… Joe’s Kansas City (f/k/a Oklahoma Joe’s) is super good. But the lines can be insane! So, favorable alternatives include Rosedale (not too far from Joe’s) or nearer to IHCC and KCCC are RJ’s and Gates (State Line location). Good brew/BBQ pub option in Westport neighborhood is Q39 for a more upscale version.  I’d stay away from Jack Stack’s… that’s like going to Pat’s or Gino’s for a Cheesesteak.
But, my fave is Smokebox near the airport. Great Burnt Ends and Sausage (which they cut thin… almost like a cold cut)! It’s just off I29, so it’s easy to pop-in a grab an on-board-meal to make your seat-mates salivate w/ envy.

Ryan Hillenbrand

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2016, 05:45:06 PM »
Kansa City has probably the least expensive Ross (Hillcrest) and Tillinghast (Swope) in the country as a pair.

And grab breakfast at the Classic Cookie - not too far from Indian Hills

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2016, 10:07:55 PM »
Gates... burnt ends

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2016, 07:37:01 PM »
Have driven by the golf course, but have never played it.

Joe's BBQ (no longer Oklahoma Joe's) is off the charts. Go to the one in the gas station. It's amazing.

Jason Hines

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2016, 10:27:26 PM »
 Pat,

Do post an update after you have played, I have had a chance a couple of times but something always comes up.  As far as Swope, a few of us on this site tried to play it a year ago and were rained out.  Adam Clayman went back the next day and if memory serves, he said it was a good time.

As far as BBQ, agree with staying away from Jack Stack’s on the plaza, other than that the rest of the BBQ in KC is all good, some places are better than others.

Peter_Collins

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2016, 12:18:14 AM »
Great club with very fun membership. KC can get some pretty extreme weather patterns that can impact conditions, but by in large IHCC keeps the course in great shape.   I'm far from a Tillinghast expert, but I've always thought many of the greens, especially on the back nine, are far too big to retain much of the original Tillinghast design.

As for BBQ, Gates beef and half lean with crispy fries.

PCCraig

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2016, 03:09:34 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys. Don't know if I'll have time to check out Swope, but that certainly looks interesting as well!
H.P.S.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back