News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

I played Brainerd Municipal in Chattanooga this past weekend and on the Ross Society it lists the course as 9 holes Donald Ross. Does anyone know whether the front or back 9 were the original Ross holes? My guess would be the back, which as I understand was originally the front 9 holes.  Does anyone know who designed the additional 9 holes and when were they added?  I'll post pictures ASAP of the whole course later on this evening or tomorrow, but many old green sites were still visible throughout the course on a majority of the holes. The course did have a few interesting golf holes and would be a fairly easy walk. The greens and surrounds are completely (fairly)new as I understand it had some renovation completed within the last few years. I couldn't find any information on that online either....stay tuned for pictures.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 09:49:23 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Ben Hollerbach

Thats interesting, the Tufts Archives has a full list of Ross drawing for all 18 holes.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2016, 12:29:46 PM by Ben Hollerbach »

Rees Milikin

All 18 were Donald Ross, but the course has had ruinovations over the years.  Not sure if anything left is Ross outside of the routing, and even that has been tweaked in a few areas.

Richard Hetzel

Ross Society has it down as 9 and now I see that Tufts has it (with the drawings) as 18.
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Richard Hetzel

I like to seek out these neglected Ross municipal courses because I think a lot of them will be closed or sold off for development as the years go on. I thought that it was interesting that they didn't smooth out, or recontour the old green complexes into the fairways. On most holes, the old greens were clearly visible. You can see all of them on historicaerials.com as well. The renovation must have been a low budget operation. I think that the course was OK and with some creative bunkering it could be better.

Hole #10

Hole #11
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:45:15 PM by Richard Hetzel »

Richard Hetzel

Hole #11 continued (phot0bucket not cooperating!)

Hole #12

Hole #13

Hole #14

Richard Hetzel

Hole #15

Hole #16

Hole #17

Hole #18

« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 08:58:32 PM by Richard Hetzel »

Richard Hetzel

Hole #1
Somewhat downhill, dog leg left

Old #1 green about 40 or so yards before the new green.

Hole #2

Old green bottom left foreground is easily still visible.

Hole #3
A concrete drainage ditch runs through the property and comes into play on many holes here and there.

Hole #4

Hole #5
Another old green visible close to the concrete drainage ditch.

Hole #6

Old green short left.

Hole #7, IMO, one of the better holes on the course.

Hole #8

Kinda looks like the pond grew in, or was filled in.

Old #8 green

Hole #9

Old #9 green

Clubhouse

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back