News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Andrew Simpson

Re: Alternative Scottish venues for Open
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2016, 05:34:30 PM »
Ben,

Did you know that there are, apparently, more female only than male only golf clubs in Scotland?

But, with respect, none of them are candidates to host the world's greatest golf tournament.
This is true.  Does that make their discrimination any more egregious?
You do know that sexism like racism is a one way street!

Jeff Bergeron

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2016, 06:38:24 PM »
Would the R&A ever consider a heathland course?

jeffwarne

« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 07:27:41 PM »
Ben,

Did you know that there are, apparently, more female only than male only golf clubs in Scotland?

PC world gone mad.
When men start giving birth they will perhaps be the equal of women
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 07:49:54 PM »
Ben,

PC world gone mad.
When men start giving birth they will perhaps be the equal of women
OH, you are under the thumb or is Jeff a woman's name in your family? Or is that code for your wife has locked you in the laundry room and replying on here pretending to be a man? One never knows in this world now if it's a frapped account or just a pussy who has lost their balls.

jeffwarne

« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2016, 08:16:10 PM »
or maybe it was simply a joke Andrew...
Holy cow-Did I strike a nerve?

Did you read the first line?
I was merely trying to make the point that men and woman are in fact different with different strengths, weakneses, cultures, and habits.
Why others insist they must be forced to mingle in all circumstances is beyond me, but I am clearly in the minority on this board.

I applauded Augusta for holding their ground and I applauded Muirfield for standing theirs-(but to be fair a majority did support including women at Muirfield)
Women and men should be allowed to form private clubs-it seems you agree with me.
It seems the R & A doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 08:24:46 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Andrew Simpson

« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2016, 08:43:37 PM »
or maybe it was simply a joke Andrew...
Holy cow-Did I strike a nerve?

Did you read the first line?
I was merely trying to make the point that men and woman are in fact different with different strengths, weakneses, cultures, and habits.
Why others insist they must be forced to mingle in all circumstances is beyond me, but I am clearly in the minority on this board.

I applauded Augusta for holding their ground and I applauded Muirfield for standing theirs-(but to be fair a majority did support including women at Muirfield)
Women and men should be allowed to form private clubs-it seems you agree with me.
It seems the R & A doesn't.
Sorry your giving birth statement threw me as it's the std female power/leveller statement.
I love the irony that the R&A are seen to bee the good guys in this when they bowed to public pressure less than 2 years ago!
So many fickle people in this world!

Sean_A

« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2016, 03:59:47 AM »
Ben,

But, with respect, none of them are candidates to host the world's greatest golf tournament.
This is true.  Does that make their discrimination any more egregious?

This to me is the crux of the problem.  Discrimination is a word which automatically (and mistakenly) has a negative connotation. In truth it is human nature to socialize with people of the same gender and culture, just as it is human nature to socialize with people of the opposite gender and of a diversity of cultures.  Neither or any is right or wrong.  They are all appropriate ways to socialize. 

Alternative Scottish venue?  No...the R&A should do what it can to bring Porthcawl into the fold.  I think the R&A has discriminated against the Welsh for far too long  :D

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 04:04:23 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Nothing

Mark Pearce

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2016, 05:50:56 AM »
I think the R&A has discriminated against the Welsh for far too long  :D
Entirely fairly, though.

And I think your point is my point, too.  There's no story here.  It is entirely within the rights of HCEG to decide who they want to have in their club and it is entirely up to the R&A where the Open gets played.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2016, 06:56:07 AM »
I think the R&A has discriminated against the Welsh for far too long  :D
Entirely fairly, though.

And I think your point is my point, too.  There's no story here.  It is entirely within the rights of HCEG to decide who they want to have in their club and it is entirely up to the R&A where the Open gets played.

It's funny how hostility to the Welsh is the acceptable form of racism in right on circles :)
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back