News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Young

Moraine Country Club
« on: February 09, 2016, 12:18:58 PM »
A friend of mine sent me photos of Moraine Country Club. This just completed renovation project is Keith Foster's latest one, and from the looks of the photos (taken the last week of October 2015), I can't wait to see it this summer and I've never played it.

Its history is also fascinating, having hosted the 1945 PGA Championship which was won by Byron Nelson. What I'm very intrigued by is that the course (the club opened in 1930) was designed by Alec "Nipper" Campbell. One of many architects from that era that time has caused people to forget.

Its now in the process of growing in with a planned re-opening sometime in April/May

I thought I'd post the photos and would like to hear any comments about the course from those who've played there.

Course Aerial:

1st Green:

2nd Green:

3rd Green:

4th Green:

5th Green:

6th Green:

More to follow...

Phil Young

Re: Moraine Country Club
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 12:22:23 PM »
7th Green:

8th Green:

9th Green:

10th Green:

11th Green:

12th Green:

Phil Young

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 12:24:04 PM »

Phil Young

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:37:26 PM »
My apologies. Ben Cowan just let me know that he had already posted these photos in the following thread on page 2: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,61812.25.html

I hadn't seen the thread and liked the photos so much I felt they should be posted...

BCowan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:39:42 PM »
Phil,

No worries, I just didn't want you to have to go through the long process of uploading them.  It takes a good while. 

Phil Young

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 12:41:06 PM »
Ben,

Too late for that!  :)

Zack Molnar

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 05:07:35 PM »
I am very excited about this renovation. One of my favorites in ohio previously. Awesome land movement, awesome greens, and im sure everything has just gotten better. Glad to see they cleared some trees out on top of the hill. Cant wait to get back to see this gem

JLahrman

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2016, 06:41:15 PM »
I noticed the repost of the pictures. But who cares. The course looks fantastic and we should have something bump it up again.

I played the course a few times several years ago when they had done a bunch of tree-clearing, but this restoration work takes it up another level. Wish I were still in the area to play a round there once they reopen. It really looks great.

Joe Sponcia

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 08:58:14 PM »
Phil,

I've never played the course, but did play in a two-man scratch event at NCR literally bordering the property.  It looked phenomenal years ago....but these pictures are very, very nice.  The pictures from the drone look absolutely amazing from the perspective presented.  Thank you for posting this!
Joe

"If the hole is well designed, a fairway can't be too wide".

- Mike Nuzzo

Tom Allen

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2016, 09:13:59 AM »
I think the course is outstanding.  I talked to a former employee from there last week, and he was VERY excited about the changes.  I can't wait to play the new version (assuming I ever get the chance again).  I really really enjoyed that course before: the movement, the greens, etc.  The conditioning was always top shape too, and I expect no less in the future.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 08:50:09 AM »
Those pictures really look awesome. I once had a chance to play here but had to pass bc I was in the hospital waiting for my twins to arrive. IMO, this is one of the top courses in Ohio. Maybe I will get the opportunity to play it in the near future.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

PCCraig

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »
Looks awesome. Keith Foster is doing some amazing renovation/restoration work these days.
H.P.S.

Jeff Shelman

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 11:00:11 AM »
Looks awesome. Keith Foster is doing some amazing renovation/restoration work these days.

I agree with this comment. I was blown away by his work at Orchard Lake and this stuff looks fantastic. I'm hoping to see Omaha this summer.

Andrew Carr

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2016, 11:16:02 AM »
This place looks terrific.  I had never heard of it prior to this thread.  (Please excuse my ignorance.)  I did the requisite Google Search of Alex Cambell and found that Wikipedia only gives him credit for Moraine, was he responsible for any other courses?  Did he work with or under any other architect?

His bio is really interesting and he did get to experience some early American Gems having served as Head Pro at The Country Club and Baltimore Country Club.

Are they any aerials of how the course was prior to the "national beautification" era (error)?  Should I refer to it as treeapalooza or does someone have a more clever name for the period of time when we decided all courses should be tree-lined?

JLahrman

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2016, 01:56:47 PM »
Andrew, if you go to Google Earth they let you go back about 20 years. If you take a look at the aerial from maybe 2005 or 2006 you should be able to see the more tree-lined look.

Mark McKeever

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
Looks incredible Phil, thanks for sharing.  Once again, Foster nails it!

Certainly a place I need to go see when I make my way to Ohio!

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back