News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

What would be the best courses in these countries and ...
« on: September 17, 2015, 06:22:39 AM »
What would be the best courses in these countries and what do these countries have in common over the next few weeks?

Australia
England
Wales
Fiji
Uruguay
South Africa
Samoa
Japan
Scotland
USA
New Zealand
Argentina
Tonga
Georgia
Namibia
France
Ireland
Italy
Canada
Romania

.?

Atb
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 06:24:26 AM by Thomas Dai »

Andrew Bertram

Re: What would be the best courses in these countries and ...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 06:30:01 AM »
They are all competing in the rugby World Cup which starts Saturday

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 06:43:51 AM »
They are all competing in the rugby World Cup which starts Saturday

Correct...and the courses?

Some of the countries above will have been visited and courses played by folk posting herein, but what about courses in some of the countries listed above not usually associated with golf?

Atb

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 06:54:25 AM »
I suppose www.top100golfcourses.co.uk would list the top course in Namibia and Georgia and Tonga [if indeed they have any golf courses].  However I'm not sure their information on such far-flung places would be based on first-hand accounts, and I don't always agree with their first-hand accounts.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 08:44:59 AM »
I wonder if out there amongst the apparent 9 courses in Namibia, the 3 in Tonga, the 'not sure' in Georgia the country as the web likes Georgia the state (!), the 7 courses in Romania, the 3 in Samoa or the 13 in Fiji there is the equivalent of the GCA reviewed but unfortunately now earthquake damaged Himalayan GC just sitting there waiting to be discovered and highlighted herein. And those sand dunes in Namibia (sic)!

:) :)

Atb

Ricardo Ramirez Calvo

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 07:17:12 PM »
Thomas, I'm not sure if I follow what you are saying. As you know, I live in Argentina and could give you my opinion about courses in this country and also in Uruguay. However, I don't think that's what you are looking for.
Ricardo

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2015, 09:48:07 PM »
I wonder if out there amongst the apparent 9 courses in Namibia, the 3 in Tonga, the 'not sure' in Georgia the country as the web likes Georgia the state (!), the 7 courses in Romania, the 3 in Samoa or the 13 in Fiji there is the equivalent of the GCA reviewed but unfortunately now earthquake damaged Himalayan GC just sitting there waiting to be discovered and highlighted herein. And those sand dunes in Namibia (sic)!

Not sure how you mean the question.

If you mean, could there be a piece of ground in those countries that would make for a world class course, the answer would almost certainly be yes.

If you mean, is there a course already existing that's really good, it seems HIGHLY unlikely that we wouldn't know about it.  I did not expect Himalayan GC to be anywhere near as good as I found it, but another architect had recommended it highly to me.  I've gotten only one half-hearted recommendation for a course in any of the countries listed above [in Fiji].

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 03:54:07 AM »
Ricardo, actually I'd be keen to hear what someone near the scene such as yourself thinks are the best courses in either Argentina or Uruguay, and any/all other countries in South America plus any unknown out of the usual golfing focus unusual courses as well.

Tom, bit of both really as there is a tendency to focus on the same areas and yet out there in the overall golfing world there are probably to be found the equivalent of Mulranny's and Durness's and Rosehearty's and Himalayan Clubs being played by local residents probably without the most modern equipment but still having fun...and maybe with a few magical holes yet to be internationally discovered as well. I recall a recentish thread on a 9-holer in Chile where one par-3 was completely under the canopy of low trees played to a tiny green and I think you posted a photo of an interesting hole in Southern Argentina recently. Thus looking forward to learning more as your new Confidential Guide series progresses. A splendid venture (and adventure no doubt).

Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back