News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rob Marshall

Re: Par 5's
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2015, 09:37:40 PM »
All the knowledge in the world is useless if you can't execute

I strongly disagree with this notion.  I would in fact argue the opposite - if you can execute every shot there is not much decision making involved.  .
Fortunately, for every golfer there is a range of places where their shot could potentially wind up.  For better players that range is much smaller than for others.  Nonetheless, given one's individual shot tendencies and capabilities there are a range of potential outcomes on any particular shot.  Given that range of potential outcomes, the player should be forced by good design to make an interesting decision. Some of the most interesting strategic decisions I have witnessed have been from very poor golfers trying to tack around a formidable hazard.  High handicap golfers that make great decisions win money.

Aren't a lot of the decisions already made for you by the design? If a tee shot has a fairway bunker left the convention wisdom is to start the ball to the right and draw it into the target area. If a tee shot has water right the conventional wisdom is to start the ball left and fade it back into the target area.  How many 18's can do that?  They may hit 4 iron, 4 iron, wedge. That's a smart decision for their ability but was the hole designed to be played that way? Bottom line I guess is that the idea behind playing golf is to shoot the lowest score possible. How you do that is up to you.

When a hole is designed is it designed to be played so that all handicaps are able to hit the green in regulation if they are playing from the correct tees? 

I guess when I read a lot of the posts here about the strategically way to play holes, IMO the majority of golfers don't have the skill to pull it off a high % of times. No disrespect intended.

Rob,

Some of the best ball strikers in the history of Golf didn't work the ball both ways.  I think a lot of the architecture you described is found in modern design.  In Golden age there was a reason to hug a bunker (better angle into the green).  More Golden Age courses had creeks and ditches and not ponds/lakes.  Those creeks/ditches provided strategy.  If there is a large pond to the right and the 18 handicap has a fade/slice shot pattern, it might be wise for him to hit a 3wood off the tee due to it being shorter or aim left to avoid a big number. 

Golden Age archies seemed to care less about GIR.  People with less skill need a higher golf IQ to manage themselves around the course.  With Irrigation ponds, irrigated rough, and tree planted all over the place the 18 handicap is sure behind the 8 ball.  Your last sentence about playing ability on this website.  I was a scratch golfer at one time and played in competitive golf tournaments.  Through 10 or so years of caddying one can observe how many different golfing abilities lack Golf IQ.  Less talented people need more of it.

Ben, I see what you're saying.  I'm a decent player and use to play in competitive tournaments also. I only cut the ball when I absolutely have too because I'm just not very good at it and susceptible to the dreaded double cross.  Great point also made my someone else about the higher handicap needing the higher golfing IQ.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back