News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Phil Lipper

Rosses Point renovations
« on: July 16, 2015, 03:51:25 PM »
Last week I had the opportunity to play Rosses Point a couple of times, I was really shocked to see some of the "improvements" they are making to golf course. I understand the notion of building new tee's or adding some bunkers to protect older courses against modern equipment but adding length to a course by removing some Harry Colt greens just to add 30 - 40 yards seems nuts to me. Its really a shame that a classic Colt course is being "improved" this way, its like a modern painter deciding to make the woman in the Mona Lisa a little thinner.  I'm curious what others that have seen the changes they are making think? 

Kevin Markham

Re: Rosses Point renovations
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2015, 03:47:54 AM »
Last week I had the opportunity to play Rosses Point a couple of times, I was really shocked to see some of the "improvements" they are making to golf course. I understand the notion of building new tee's or adding some bunkers to protect older courses against modern equipment but adding length to a course by removing some Harry Colt greens just to add 30 - 40 yards seems nuts to me. Its really a shame that a classic Colt course is being "improved" this way, its like a modern painter deciding to make the woman in the Mona Lisa a little thinner.  I'm curious what others that have seen the changes they are making think?

Can I just say how much I like your Mona Lisa analogy.

I played it a couple of weeks ago and the changes so far (Phase 1) are the one new green on the 3rd (another new one is planned for the 14th), extended greens on 1, 2, 5 and 10, some new bunkering and tees. The feelings about the changes are mixed, although the members I spoke to all raved about the two green extensions on holes 1 and 2, and the new green on 3.

I'm writing an article about the course and the changes, and I have yet to interview Pat Ruddy about these changes, but if anyone wants to read the recent Irish Golfer Magazine interview with Pat, it's here on page 26-30.

Did you take a good look at the 10th, Phil? The enormous new bunker to the left of the green and the green extension feel very odd and, to be frank, out of place.

The course is one of my favourites and I think the quest to 'upgrade' County Sligo GC is misguided. Why meddle with perfection... and perfection that has Harry Colt written all over it?

Phil Lipper

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 10:22:15 AM »
Did you take a good look at the 10th, Phil? The enormous new bunker to the left of the green and the green extension feel very odd and, to be frank, out of place. [/size]

Out of place is an understatement, the first time I played it I thought I the extensions were odd and out of place. When I played it the next day they bothered me more. The one to me that seemed really nuts was the short par 5 (5th hole?). Its still a short 5 with a down hill tee shot mostly down wind, its not like they are making a change that makes it a strong 3 shot hole, its a change for the sake of change. 
[/color]

Paul_Turner

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2015, 10:58:02 AM »
Anyone know what Ruddy plans to do with the 14th green?  Can't fathom why he wants to change the best hole.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
This saddens me--when I was in Sligo I didn't have an opportunity to play, although I went out to the windswept peninsula to see the course.  While obviously lacking heroic dunes, it looked like fine linksland and I've wanted to return to play a largely untouched Colt course.  Perhaps I missed my chance.  Hopefully not.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back