News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

abmack

Is there anyone on GCA who knows anything about this artist, R. Kawashima? I've run across two of his paintings and would like to know more about him. I haven't been able to come up with anything. It might be helpful also to know where these paintings were reproduced. For what it's worth, these both were almost certainly photocopied out of a book or some kind of brochure. I asked the USGA reference librarians if they were aware of such an artist but they do no. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, please let me know... they will be much appreciated!!

Palm Beach CC, signed: R. Kawashima '24

detail of the above in color

Shennecossett GC, signed:R. Kawashima '19
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:03:42 AM by Andrew Mack »

Pete_Pittock

Re: R. Kawashima - Painter of Golf Courses in the 1920s
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 11:12:14 PM »
first name probably Riichiro

Will Lozier

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:42:04 AM »
Very cool...he may have been involved with the World Atlas of Golf.  My copy is downstairs and I am in bed with a baby due...today!  Will look through in the AM.

Cheers

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 01:21:21 AM »
Will,
As you seem to be marginally indisposed I went off and had a look in my World Atlas of Golf (very early edition) and cannot find any reference to R. Kawashima.  I may be missing it but the date of the paintings and the genesis of W.A.G. seem a bit far apart.  Nonetheless I agree that the paintings are very cool indeed!

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

abmack

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 02:57:21 AM »
first name probably Riichiro

Someone else suggested this to me but a look through Riichiro Kawashima's work makes me doubt that he ever painted golf courses. Additionally, I did not think the signatures on his other works look much like those found on the above illustrations.

abmack

Re: R. Kawashima - Illustrator of Golf Course Routings around 1920
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 02:58:38 AM »
This description must have been published alongside the Kawashima watercolor. I got photocopies of both paintings and this course description from the Tufts Archive. I asked and they don't even know where they got it.

Any idea where this might have come from?

« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 03:45:28 PM by Andrew Mack »

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2014, 10:48:22 AM »
I have a first edition of the original (1976) version of the World Atlas of Golf and the credited illustrators of the featured courses are:

Harry Clow
? Allard
Chris Forsey
Brian Delf
Charles Pickard
Peter Morter
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 11:11:43 AM »
EDIT - you have already noted Andrew that you don't believe the following RK is the RK you're asking about. I'll leave the description below anyway cause it strikes me as neat:

In 1925 Riichiro Kawashima became a member of the Kokugakai Club which helped to introduce renowned western painters to Japan by organizing special exhibits every year. [RK then published books on these exhibits]. The artists included Matisse, Rodin, Leach, Rouault, Monet, Renoir, Chagall, Picasso, and Cezanne. These exhibitions not only helped members train themselves, but also contributed to influencing other artists in Japan, who until then had very little chance to see Western paintings.

Peter
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:14:50 AM by PPallotta »

abmack

Re: R. Kawashima - Illustrator of Golf Course Routings around 1920 New
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 08:50:32 AM »
Since last year when I started this thread, I have found a painting which Kawashima did of Donald Ross's course at the Broadmoor in Colorado Springs.  They come out of the Tuft's Archive.  Has anyone seen this picture before?

Each of the three paintings, of which I am aware, are all done of resort courses:
     Palm Beach CC             --   Royal Poinciana Hotel (FL);
     Shennecossett G.Cse.  --  The Griswold (CT);
     The Broadmoor GC       --  The Broadmoor Hotel (CO).

Perhaps this is a clue as to where they might have been reproduced.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2015, 01:40:13 PM by abmack »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back