News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Silver linings ........
« on: March 30, 2020, 05:39:51 AM »
Dark clouds, such as the difficult situation the world is presently facing, sometimes have silver linings although they may not be obvious at the time.

What possible silver linings from a golfing perspective would you hope or like to see arise once this difficult period is over?

Any aspect ...... design, construction, irrigation, conditioning, maintenance regime, health/exercise, playability ..... ?

atb

Adrian_Stiff

Re: Silver linings ........
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 06:07:43 AM »
Cant see anything from my perspective although I like sheep.

The domino effect of all this is massive.

If every country goes bankrupt which is pretty much what is going to happen, what happens to all the money and debt.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Sean_A

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 06:38:58 AM »
Countries are already bankrupt. Does anybody believe the US is ever going to retire the debt?

I don't see any real shift in golf coming post Corona. Things will for the most part continue on the current path.

Ciao

New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mike_Young

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:53:42 AM »
I think there will be massive changes in private golf..I'm not talking about the top privates that receive all of the oral sex from this site....I mean the average private club in average town America that has been operated by a board with clubhouse and dining.  when we come out the other side many of the younger dudes who have been working to keep up with the Joneses are going to let the Joneses have it and go public along with dining and also the private schools...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:58:55 AM »
I think there will be massive changes in private golf..I'm not talking about the top privates that receive all of the oral sex from this site....I mean the average private club in average town America that has been operated by a board with clubhouse and dining.  when we come out the other side many of the younger dudes who have been working to keep up with the Joneses are going to let the Joneses have it and go public along with dining and also the private schools...

+1

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:06:13 AM »

Funny, I thought just the opposite. That privacy in the form of being around people you can trust to be honest about their exposure would become more cherished. That traveling vagabonds going from course to course would be banned. When you go to the bar for a drink you are going to want to know everyone. It's difficult to explain how much I would love to just be able to interact with the people I already know. It ain't going to get any easier being a stranger.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 08:11:58 AM »

Isn't that where things were heading prior to COVID 19?

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 08:18:12 AM »
I think it probable was Sean...Covid 19 just accelerates it.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 08:21:01 AM »
I think it probable was Sean...Covid 19 just accelerates it.

And people were migrating back to the cities.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 08:31:51 AM »
Fences will get taller and courses will get shorter.

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 08:33:37 AM »
 ;)

Perhaps one silver lining may be that some families are forced to spend time together without all the accoutrements of 2020 life as we know it. Perhaps some will enjoy the rekindling of family togetherness.

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 08:50:42 AM »
I'm hoping that people who are still playing will learn that walking isn't so bad.

And maybe some cart manufacturer will come up with a low-impact single-person cart that's priced competitively, because a foursome in separate carts always has great potential to play quickly.

Though the odds of the latter coming true are somewhere between nope and nada.
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, Garland, and Chris.

Bernie Bell

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 11:37:51 AM »
1/ Bankruptcy of US?  Please.  US treasuries the safest haven in the world.  US dollar the world's reserve currency.
2/ Golf - flight to value.  The Whole Foods hipsters have learned to love their chlorine bleach.  Golfers at even the most muckety clubs have discovered that the gods will not strike them dead on the spot next to a pushcart.  Golf is still golf without the expensive trappings.  If (emphasize if) the pandemic recovery strengthens rather than weakens the middle class and the working family, then might not there be bright days ahead for proximate, solid, enjoyable, maintenance-efficient, affordable courses, private and public?

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 07:39:33 PM »
Barzeski already mentioned it. Nevermind. motorized carts become one-seaters, three wheeler.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 07:41:34 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Terry Lavin

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2020, 08:04:46 PM »
The game will wane considerably when looking at most of the private club and the middle of the road resort market in the USA. The upper crust will survive just fine thank you, whether they be Shinnecock or Pebble, Pine Valley or Bandon.

Beneath, there will be considerable shrinkage, it seems to me, because the economic impact of the pandemic and the concomitant debt overload might result in the final nail in the generational diffidence coffin in golf as a primary lifestyle driver.

Hope I’m wrong. Have been before, but this seems negative and seismic, as it relates to a decidedly optional part of family life.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2020, 08:18:02 PM by Terry Lavin »
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back