News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Franklin

Sea Scape Golf Links, Kittyhawk NC
« on: October 28, 2014, 11:01:19 AM »
Has anyone played here and is it worth a visit?
Thanks
Mr Hurricane

JLahrman

Re: Sea Scape Golf Links, Kittyhawk NC
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:20:39 AM »
Yes I played it a VERY long time ago, I was a teenager. Is it worth a special trip? Not by my recollection. But if you have your clubs there and are looking to play, I don't believe there are a ton of options on the Outer Banks.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:28:39 AM »
Yes I played it a VERY long time ago, I was a teenager. Is it worth a special trip? Not by my recollection. But if you have your clubs there and are looking to play, I don't believe there are a ton of options on the Outer Banks.
I concur.  There are not tons of options, much less good ones.

I live in Tidewater Virginia, about 2 hours away, if the traffic is not too too terrible.

Played Sea Scape once a long time ago and will never return.  Play only just dying to play ............ somewhere.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Greg Smith

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Played there maybe 10 years ago.  I can remember the course pretty well -- but there was nothing really architecturally redeeming about the place.  I suppose if were a very nice day for golf and you had your clubs with time to kill there's no reason why not; at least it's not a golfing cesspool.

It boggles me that there's no high quality golf on the OBX.  Seems like the terrain is a natural.
O fools!  who drudge from morn til night
And dream your way of life is wise,
Come hither!  prove a happier plight,
The golfer lives in Paradise!                      

John Somerville, The Ballade of the Links at Rye (1898)

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:38:17 PM »
Thanks

Just on form, it seems like a guy with the tagline "Mr. Hurricane" should certainly visit the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Check the weather report before you go, though.  ;)

Philip Caccamise

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 06:44:54 PM »
Played there maybe 10 years ago.  I can remember the course pretty well -- but there was nothing really architecturally redeeming about the place.  I suppose if were a very nice day for golf and you had your clubs with time to kill there's no reason why not; at least it's not a golfing cesspool.

It boggles me that there's no high quality golf on the OBX.  Seems like the terrain is a natural.

No space. The island is like 5 blocks wide at that point.

My parents live down the street part of the year... it's a mediocre but acceptable golf course.

Dale_McCallon

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 08:24:15 PM »
I played about 6-7 years ago and have no desire to go back.  If you are going to the OBX, I think Currituck Club is your best option.  And I know some on here criticize it as well.

You might look at Kilmarlic.  I think it might be owned by the same group as Sea Scape (that may have changed by now).  It's not a long drive but I enjoyed it as well. It's a residential course, but at the time homes weren't really in line of play.  That may have changed by now.

Neither one are exactly bucket list courses, but if you're there and wanting to play I think they are worth the time.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 10:12:26 PM »
So here is a thread about why aren't there great courses in OBX:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,59543.0.html

Scott Weersing

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »

Jim Franklin

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 09:52:36 AM »
Thanks

Just on form, it seems like a guy with the tagline "Mr. Hurricane" should certainly visit the Outer Banks of North Carolina.

Check the weather report before you go, though.  ;)

That is funny. We were scheduled to go to the Outer Banks a few years ago when Sandy came calling. I will try for something in early spring next time. Sea Scape Links is not sounding all that appealing, but my kids want to visit the Outer Banks so that is where we will go.
Mr Hurricane

Mike Tanner

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
Jim,
Go ahead and play it. It's not a "wow" course, but there are some fun holes in the layout. And it's the only course on the Outer Banks designed by a Masters champion. Avoid Nags head Golf Links -- too narrow, too much housing. Currituck Club also offers a stroll over the dunes. It's just a little too refined for me.

If you venture across the bridge to the mainland, Kilmarlic is the closest. It has a nice, secluded feel to it. The routing is such that you don't see more than one or two holes at a time.
Life's too short to waste on bad golf courses or bad wine.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back