News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emil Weber

Old Musselburgh Links (photos)
« on: August 06, 2010, 09:14:12 AM »
I've never seen a pic of the "oldest playing golf course in the world" here on GCA, so I thought I'd post some pictures of this historic links.

Being told by everybody I met in Scotland how flat, boring and not worth playing it is, I found Old Musselburgh to be the most surprising course on my trip. It is not the greatest course you'll ever play or anything, after all it's just a 2800+something yard par 34 course in a racetrack.... But it was great fun, and I thought there were some really interesting holes & greens.

The weather conditions were not ideal for photos,  I'm not the most talented photographer anyways, and as always, pics never express how the course really plays and feels, but here you go...:

1st hole, 146 yds, elevated green:

2nd, 348 yds par 4, one of my favourites, the green is down in a valley beneath the gorse:

This blind bunker lurks at 200+somewhere, before the ground drops downhill towards the green:

Looking back, from the 8th tee:

The 357 yard 3rd, with some bunkers to negotiate on the way to the green:

From the 4th tee:

Tee shot @ the 4th, a really cool hole IMO... Slight dogleg right, but right is where the racetrack is:

The 2nd shot to a green that is tough to approach and fun to put, sorry, pics can't do it justice.

A bit closer up:

The 5th, a par 3 with another good green

Closer up:

Looking back... oh, there are bunkers behind the green!

The par 4 6th ( sorry, even worse photos for the next holes). A hollow at 240 yds and a tricky two-tiered green make this one quite tough.

Closer up to the green:

The slightly dog-legged right par 5 7th is, with a bunker in the corner, a big bunker 80 yards short of the green and another cool green, a very good hole.

2nd shot after a rather short drive. Pin is just left of the golfers in the distance:

Green from the left, with contours of the greens feeding slightly hooked balls into a back left bunker.

Looking back:

The 240 yds par 3 8th, (guess what) another cool, bowl-shaped green, where the golfers are standing:

The green closer up:

Tee shot at the dogleg-left 9th:

2nd shot:

Looking back towards the right-to-left and front-to-back sloping 9th green.

Well, those pictures might not look very interesting, but it is a fun track that, combined with the history, should be played if in Edinburgh or East Lothian.

Well worth the 9 pound greenfee..... and the "vagaries" of public transport to get to and fron there!

Mac Plumart

Re: Old Musselburgh Links (photos)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2010, 09:22:42 AM »
Cool stuff!

Thanks.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Steve Salmen

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2010, 09:46:03 AM »
Very cool Emil,

My first trip to Scotland included Old Musselburgh.  I stayed at Mrs. Pryde's B&B across the street from the golf course.  Back then (1991), the first hole was the last, the second was the first.  I've returned a few times and really enjoy the course. 

How many times did you go around?  Playing it a second time would help greatly because of the hidden slopes and the severity of them.  Best wishes.

James Boon

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2010, 09:52:13 AM »
Emil,

Thanks for the pics.

I've only played a quick 9 holes round there once but the fact that its quite low key means its difficult to have high expectations for the course, so I found it suprisingly good and enjoyable. The history of the place certainly also helps!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

mike_malone

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2010, 10:28:55 AM »
 I planned a trip to Scotland a few years ago with the intent to play TOC and N.Berwick. My nongolfing wife was along. I chose August so we could see the Edinburgh Arts Festival. We stayed a few days in Musselburgh and took the bus into town for the festival.

I know my wife quite well and knew she would want a nap after a day in town. So, NINE MONTHS before we went I had secured the B+B so that I could go a few blocks to play here. It was well worth it. I particularly liked my 90 yard putt to one green.
AKA Mayday

Emil Weber

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 12:33:05 PM »
Steve,

Initially I had a tee time that saturday at 10 am for 18 holes, but lucky as I was I bumped into a member of a nearby private club (not Muirfield, don't worry  ;)) while playing a twilight round at beautiful North Berwick 2 days earlier, who invited me for a round at that club with him at 10 am on saturday. So I only arrived there at half past 4pm or something, ready to start my tenth round in five days. So I decided to play only 9... would have liked to play another loop though!

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »
A coincidence?  Perhaps not:

Rocky Top.

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 05:49:50 PM »
Emil:

Most importantly -- did you grab a cold one at Mrs. Forman's out the window mid-round?

Nice pics!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 06:17:28 PM »
Pictures of the course are really cool, but seeing Emil sitting at the bus stop with his clubs and a backpack is my favorite. 
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 12:43:35 AM »
Emil

I'm thankfull of the time I took out to play OML - appreciate the trip down memory lane. Like you I enjoyed #4 the most.

Where else did you end of playing on your trip ?

Tom Walsh

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 02:01:36 PM »
Awesome pics with some of the most beautiful cloud formations I've seen :o
"vado pro vexillum!"

Emil Weber

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 05:24:35 AM »
Emil:

Most importantly -- did you grab a cold one at Mrs. Forman's out the window mid-round?

Nice pics!

I was told Mrs Forman'S closed its doors (and window) a few years ago... :-[

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:24:37 AM »
Thanks for the photos. 

In the first one, there seems to be a number of people in the stands.  Did they have racing going on that day as well? 

Emil Weber

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 10:29:22 AM »
Yes John I think there was something on earlier that morning... Music was still playing  ;D

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2014, 03:28:59 PM »
Different day and different weather but many of your shore appear more vivid than my own. I want a new better camera!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back