News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Bielawa

Inverness Renovation Project
« on: November 27, 2013, 08:47:49 AM »
I had a question in another thread about what work is being done at Inverness, so I thought I'd just start a new thread to focus on it.

There are a few aspects of the project.  From an architectural standpoint, this is a project to restore to course to include many of its original Donald Ross features.  This includes

1.  Installing grass faces on all bunkers.  Half of the course had already had this work done, but the remaining bunkers were renovated this fall.

2.  Shaving some of the entry lines to bunkers (mostly fairway bunkers I think) to fairway height.  Some areas of fairway (The initial few yards of fairways on certain holes) will go back to rough height to keep the acreage of fairway the same.

3.  Squaring off the greens to go back to the original look and add some pin positions.

Then there are a few minor tweaks:

1.  A bit of length added to #1 and #10, and the teeing ground lowered so that the parking lot is not visible from the course.  For those who didn't see some of the work done last year, a brick wall was installed to separate the tees from the parking lot.  Last year you could easily see over the wall into the parking lot.  Next year, you're not supposed to be able to.

2.  Added bunkers right of #11 fairway and between #2 and #11.  These are partly to impact landing zones and partly to give this hole a somewhat similar feel to #1 and #10 with fairway bunkers shared between the holes.  A couple other bunkers were expanded here and there.

Then there is the agronomy/tree project

1.  All greens, fairways, and tees were re-grassed.  Greens seeded with a more modern variety of bent that is more resilient and better at fighting off poa.  The same greens were installed at Orchard Lake, and I believe were to be done at The Golf Club as well.

2.  Many trees removed/replaced, largely due to the DuPont/Imprellis issue that I'm sure many of you are aware of.

jonathan_becker

Re: Inverness Renovation Project
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 09:08:22 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I had heard about the re-grassing part and the part about shaving the entry lines to essentially gets the fw bunkers back in the fw, but the other points are new to me.  

I really like the idea of squaring off the greens.  Is this on all the greens or only on certain holes?  Are the Fazio holes being squared off, too?

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 09:17:37 AM »
Thanks for the update.  I had heard about the re-grassing part and the part about shaving the entry lines to essentially gets the fw bunkers back in the fw, but the other points are new to me.  

I really like the idea of squaring off the greens.  Is this on all the greens or only on certain holes?  Are the Fazio holes being squared off, too?

I don't believe all 18 greens are being impacted.  For example, I'm quite sure #18 isn't to be touched.  I'm not 100% certain about the rest but think most of them will be cornered a little.  They had paint lines out there this summer that gave a feel for where the new lines were and they were on most holes.  On the Fazio holes, I don't know if they're touching #5 or #6.  I believe the back left of #3 is being squared off and I think they're squaring #8 green as well.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 09:54:03 AM »
Why is it important to keep the overall square footage of fairway the same?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 09:58:29 AM »
Matt,

Were old aerials used when establishing the targeted Donald Ross features ?

If so, what year/s ?

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2013, 10:18:19 AM »

I think the decision was largely maintenance/cost driven to not add more sf of fairway that would need to be maintained when it was getting little play in the first place.  The types of places I am talking about would be perhaps where a fairway starts today at 100 yards from the tee, but would start at 110 yards instead and not impact playability for most players.

The the aerials, I just don't know.  I know that photos were studied, but I'm not sure from when. 

Will Lozier

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2013, 10:19:14 AM »

I would guess it is to keep the maintenance practices the same - mowing, watering, etc.?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2014, 06:17:31 PM »
Hopefully they have this one:

Here's the link to the website. Click on the photo and it will enlarge, and it even looks good if you further enlarge your screen 2/300% from there. Some of the bunker faces appear to be very steep - a few chocolate drops (slightly 'melted') - nice terrain.   

The course was stunning in '31.

http://blogs.archives.gov/mediamatters/files/2013/09/306-NT-804-C-3.jpg
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 06:29:45 PM by Jim_Kennedy »
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

BCowan

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2014, 06:48:36 PM »
Jim great post.  You can see the old 13th hole par 3 behind 12th green.

That is #17 with the mounds.  I can see the old #6 and #7 on it too, which is awesome.  Those were taken out in 77' for big renovation.

So awesome thanks for posting

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2014, 07:35:08 PM »
Wow, awesome picture, and it looks like Inverness needs to clear out a few more trees to truly "restore."

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 07:42:07 PM »
I thought it was pretty cool the way he used almost mesa-like high ground, and broke that up by placing a couple greens down low, where the creek runs, (or ran, whatever the case may be).

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 07:47:15 PM »
The creek was left uncovered at the bottom of #1 green.  It is fairway now.  Upper left hand corner is number one with all the bunkers on it.  

Also the bunkers in front of #17 tee box bottom left aren't there.  Some of the Ross ambiguous bunkering he did from time to time.  Tilley prob. took them out when he worked for USGA. 

Man i wished i could of played it before 77', I was watching 79' Open there from the womb. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:51:10 PM by BCowan »

BCowan

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 07:59:28 PM »

I am thinking that possibly #18 tee was farther to the right due to the original 7th Green.  have to find that out.  

Prior to latest renovation, the green side bunkers had flash.  I believe the original ones were grass faced and they tried to go back to original design.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 08:02:21 PM by BCowan »

BCowan

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
#10 Punchbowl green

#12 par 3, originally #3

#7 Par 4, originally #5

#4 Awesome par 4

#2 par 4

Mac Plumart

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 09:29:23 PM »
Inverness is awesome!  Thanks for all these updates.  Keen to see more.
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Matthew Rose

« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2014, 12:18:44 AM »
Are they doing anything to the Fazio holes to make them more closely resemble the Ross holes, or is that not really possible?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Matt Bielawa

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2014, 09:43:49 AM »
Some green-squaring and grass faces on the bunkers that hadn't been done already, but it's sort of like putting lipstick on a pig.  It would take more work than that to make #3 blend in.

BCowan

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2014, 11:22:31 AM »
Fazio holes at Inverness created in 77' with some updates since

#3 They enlarged the pond and brought it back to the tee box sometime 05'-10'.  Membership wanted a water hole in 77'.

#5 Tee, The original Fazio tee was to the left side of the photo 40 yds left of where it is now, also creek was rerouted and was where the member tees are now that you see in the photo.  The tips were lengthened 40 yards and all this was done in 00' renovation by Hills

#5 approach, This green is the exact same green complex as #3 (Fazio copied himself).  Around 96' they took the pond out to the right of the green and replaced with a creek.  The 77' Renovation with the pond looked too much like #3.

#6 in 00' Renovation they regraded slope.  It was more step like and they made it more gradual slope to the green.  Hole is best of Fazio holes IMO.  You can play shot 10-15 yards short (F&F) guys would approve!

#8 par 5 ''The hinkle tree'', a tree was planted between the 1st and 2nd rounds during the US Open in 79', because Hinkle and Chi Chi and a few others were going down #17 to hit green in too easier.  This Fazio green does not fit in with the rest of the Greens.  The original design had 3 (Ross) holes that sit where the now #8 hole (Fazio) is created in 77'
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 11:40:33 AM by BCowan »

Steve Lang

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2014, 12:30:42 PM »
 8)  Google search: excerpted from http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=259  , but I saw it in person in 79 (and a drunken Jim McKay), and read about it in the Blade, "One of Americas's Greatest Newspapers" (per Abe Lincoln)

THE HINKLE TREE – COLOR AND CONTROVERSY FROM THE START

Strantz’s career began with a colorful moment in golf history. Perhaps it was an omen, a microcosm. He was working at Inverness Country Club in Ohio when the 1979 U.S. Open came to town. Tom Fazio was renovating the course for the U.S.G.A. A glitch in set up would provide the impetus for Strantz’s brief, but luminescent career.

On the first day, journeyman pro Lon Hinkle came to the par-5 eighth tee already out of contention. The seventeenth fairway runs parallel to the left, separated by a string of tall trees. Hinkle, feeling a bit puckish and having nothing to lose, noticed a gap about twenty-five feet wide about two hundred yards away from the teebox. “Take down the gallery ropes. Tell the guys on seventeen I’m playing through” he quipped.

Hinkle smashed his drive well into the seventeenth fairway, leaving a mere eight-iron back over the trees to the green. Word spread like wildfire and – surprise! – everyone else followed suit.

Late that night, U.S.G.A. officials had a secret meeting on the eighth tee. Comments were made about the “integrity of the hole” and “playing the right way” and such. Steps were paced off, arms were waved, comments were snarled and discussions ended with soon to be short lived smugness.

The next morning when the patrons arrived at the eighth tee, they were greeted by a strange sight. About twenty-five feet away from the teebox stood a short, droopy, frumpy looking newly planted Douglas Fir. A sign hung from one patchy, spindly arm – “A Hinkle Tree.”

Strantz was elated when asked about it. “I planted that tree!” he shouted gleefully. “I backed in the trucks! I tried to tell them to move it a little bit, buuuuuut…” he trails off with a mischievous grin. The gap was not truly plugged, just reduced to about eight feet.

Strantz’s protestations proved prophetic. Hinkle arrived on the tee later that day with a huge gallery. “Trees sure grow fast in Ohio” he joked. Then without missing a beat he drawled “Take down the gallery ropes.”

There was thunderous applause.

The gap through which to hit was still 200 yards away, but the Hinkle tree, looking as pathetic than the tree in “A Charlie Brown Christmas Special” never had a chance. Hinkle easily carried deep into the seventeenth fairway.

There was even more thunderous applause. He again hit the par-5 in two.
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Matthew Rose

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 12:50:50 AM »
A story I have read 100 times but is never any less amusing. Kinda sums up the USGA in a lot of ways.
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

BCowan

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 10:25:36 AM »
86' PGA, Bob Tway hole out from bunker on #18 to beat Norman

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 11:13:12 AM »
Nice article on the club in 1920:
http://library.la84.org/SportsLibrary/GolfIllustrated/1920/gi133i.pdf

I think this is the 5th green. 

BCowan

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 11:17:19 AM »
Great find Jim

I wish they would of kept the 13 green and cut it.  That does look like the old 5th green, which is now #7. Photo shows #17 as not having a bunker to the left of the green?

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 11:24:35 AM »

One more:
13th green on the rise (Hole of the Scotch Pines) and 15th on the flat.

Brian Finn

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2014, 05:02:34 PM »
Has anyone played Inverness since the most recent renovation work has been done?  I am interested to hear about how the work has been received (and would love to see some photos, if anyone has them).
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back