News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Malach

First Golf Courses
« on: August 04, 2014, 07:43:05 PM »
I have been thinking a lot recently about my own architectural tastes and how they have developed as I have played more golf courses. But the first two golf courses that I played are still vivid in my memory. Both are 9 hole golf courses that use the land well but suffer from lack of interest in the greens and in the placement of hazards. They still influence me to this day as they both use the land so well using interesting land forms on small sites . I was wondering how many others in the tree house are still in love with their first few golf courses or how many have the opposite reaction and can see through the glow of nostalgia that surrounds ones first memories on a golf course.   
@benmalach on Instagram and Twitter

Jason Kang

Re: First Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 11:28:33 PM »
Probably going to depend on where everybody started, but for me, a little of both.  My first golf course play took place on a 9 hole sleeper credited to an historically fashionable architect.  The golf gods have been even kinder to me since then, so have I recognized that the course isn't a Doak 10?  Of course, but I consider myself extremely lucky. 

...I was wondering how many others in the tree house are still in love with their first few golf courses or how many have the opposite reaction and can see through the glow of nostalgia that surrounds ones first memories on a golf course.   

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 11:31:02 PM »
The first course I ever played was Bash Golf Course in Dublin, Ohio. It lacked anything, anything at all. In fact, I have no memories of it other than you could see the Wendy's International HQ building. Sad, I know.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »
I didn't pick up the game until I was 16, and my first course definitely influenced my tastes, as well as my overall game.  It was a brand new 9 Hole Course with no irrigation, and plenty of drivable par 4’s (with decent risks, but little water).  There wasn't much interest in the greens (basically just small ovals), but I had nothing to compare it to at the time. 

As a result of this first exposure, my playing style was set:

1)  I love to run the ball along the ground (out of necessity while the new course matured)
2)  I rarely lay-up when given the opportunity (from years of playing drivable par 4s / reachable 5s)
3)  I love making recovery shots, just let me find it (again, out of necessity from the combination of heroic holes, youthful bravado, and a swing that was a work in progress)

From an architectural taste standpoint, I am a sucker for Heroic half-par holes that encourage you to take a chance.  And I have a disdain for hazards which eliminate any chance of recovery (water / OB / Unplayable Rough).  My first course also had some quirky / sporty holes, so I have more patience for those when I see them now.  I also don't get too obsessed about pristine conditions, and worry more about the "fun factor."

Because my first few courses featured fairly benign greens, I tend to look at the tee-to-green game before I consider the green contouring.  I will recall the variety of the challenges and overall "feel" of the course more than I'll remember subtle green contours. 

The benign greens at my formative courses are also why I really enjoy dramatic elevation changes, since those things provided much of the interest and challenge that was lacking around the green.  It's also why I don't mind blind shots, while some here have a disdain for them.  When a course's topography is deemed "severe," it's usually a sign that I'll enjoy it (Ballyhack and Tobacco Road are two of my favorites, and suspect I'd enjoy Dismal River).

With more years of exposure to great courses, I have come to appreciate the importance of green contouring, not just from a putting/chipping standpoint, but also in how slopes make playing angles more relevant.  This has also caused me to be more focused on conditioning, as I dislike overly soft courses.

However, if I had the choice of a flatter course with great greens vs. a severely sloped piece of land with relatively tame surfaces, I'd still opt for the latter (in general).  That's why I can appreciate a flatter course like Pinehurst #2, but it will never "stir me" the way Ballyhack or Leatherstocking will.

Dave Doxey

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2014, 09:56:27 AM »
In a very strange coincidence, spent a lot of time playing & caddying at age 6-14 at a small 9-hole designed by Devereux Emmet and spent age 15-21 playing at an 18 hole course 150 miles away, also by Emmet. Those years, I played almost entirely the Emmit courses.

I never knew who Emmet was, or that he had designed both courses, until years later.  Looking back, I see similarities in the two courses.  Neither come close to making the top 1000 list. But I’m sure that they affected the way I look at course architecture. 

The thing that strikes me is the total lack of gimmicky or stupid holes that I seem to encounter at least one of on most courses I play today.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 02:46:44 PM »
The first course I ever played was OSU Gray.  The second course I ever played was OSU Scarlet.  Scarlet is a great course by any metric I would say, but still I have an irrational loyalty to Gray.  It remains one of my favorite courses, and every time I go home and can't play there it frustrates me.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »
The first course I ever played was Bash Golf Course in Dublin, Ohio. It lacked anything, anything at all. In fact, I have no memories of it other than you could see the Wendy's International HQ building. Sad, I know.

Bash was a great driving range back in the day as well!!!  Not a bad miniature golf layout either.  I still have nostalgia for that entire complex.  I still remember going to a birthday party there when I was in 3rd grade and some kid's dad got jacked in the head by his son who took a surprise full swing with the putter. Good times.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back