News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Strantz vs Engh
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2014, 02:06:17 PM »
Just because someone sits in his office and draws out every detail of a hole to the 'n'th degree does not not make him an artist - it takes a lot of skill to visualise a hole and get it down on paper for a contractor to build it.

Jim Engh has the reputation for never changing his plans in the field. In many ways, this can taken as a huge positive: Firstly that he must have a good eye. Secondly that it provides a good deal of cost certainty.

But it probably also accounts for the comments that his landforms don't always blend in naturally.

Tom Bacsanyi

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 02:15:54 PM »
In the Denver area we have Fossil Trace, which is a really fun Engh design.  My beef is he's got this penchant for what I call "squiggle" bunkers which I find to be visually disturbing, and as a maintenance guy I find horribly inefficient.  Although looking at the overhead below maybe they can be called "sperm bunkers" (good for virility?). Last time I played there several of them that have temporary wooden scaffolding in place trying to keep them from falling apart.  So they are ugly, and difficult to maintain.  Other than that, his bunkering is great.  The holes themselves are fun to play and his style is certainly unique.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 02:18:51 PM by Tom Bacsanyi »
Don't play too much golf. Two rounds a day are plenty.

--Harry Vardon

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 02:28:13 PM »
In the Denver area we have Fossil Trace, which is a really fun Engh design.  My beef is he's got this penchant for what I call "squiggle" bunkers which I find to be visually disturbing, and as a maintenance guy I find horribly inefficient.  Although looking at the overhead below maybe they can be called "sperm bunkers" (good for virility?). Last time I played there several of them that have temporary wooden scaffolding in place trying to keep them from falling apart.  So they are ugly, and difficult to maintain.  Other than that, his bunkering is great.  The holes themselves are fun to play and his style is certainly unique.

Tom,

That does look awful, maybe worse than any of the famous Rees Jones displays by our good friend Tommy Naccarato.
Tim Weiman

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back