News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: So much ignorance about Pinehurst conditions
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2014, 08:40:49 PM »

Put Bandon in Nebraska and I'd be shocked if rounds didn't plummet solely because there was no ocean to look at.

Care to wager a grand on Wisconsin?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Fedeli

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2014, 09:03:07 PM »

Put Bandon in Nebraska and I'd be shocked if rounds didn't plummet solely because there was no ocean to look at.

Care to wager a grand on Wisconsin?

Not a chance. But I will be extremely curious to see how it does compared to Bandon.
South Jersey to Brooklyn. @marrrkfedeli

Tony Ristola

« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2014, 07:38:36 AM »
Like Paul Gray, I grew up playing a course that would brown out in the summer, and after the first rainfalls, would begin to green up again.

Though the leaf is brown, the root structure is still alive.

Must say that I have heard of courses adding fairway irrigation after the hot summer in Europe some years back, claiming they lost the turf. I wonder whether it is true or not, whether it was an excuse to put in fairway irrigation so the place would remain green.

Paul Gray

« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2014, 08:03:40 AM »
Like Paul Gray, I grew up playing a course that would brown out in the summer, and after the first rainfalls, would begin to green up again.

Though the leaf is brown, the root structure is still alive.

Must say that I have heard of courses adding fairway irrigation after the hot summer in Europe some years back, claiming they lost the turf. I wonder whether it is true or not, whether it was an excuse to put in fairway irrigation so the place would remain green.

It was an excuse, in Britain at least. I remember one particular summer when it was so dry there were real concerns about the turf and we all had to tee up on the fairway for a month. Come the first rain and the whole place immediately turned green. NOTHING had died.

Fast forward ten years and the club forked out for fairway sprinklers, admitting at least that it was to 'keep it green.' If there's an argument for irrigation at all in Britain, it's probably far to say it's at a links course on the south coast. Fortunately however, good sense has for once prevailed (although I have concerns about the current custodians) and the costly sprinklers are now used very sparingly. 
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back