News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re: Practice area versus a par 3 course
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 03:17:39 AM »
For me, no question a short course is preferable, but I think a practice range would provide more value to a club.  Adrian is right, the par 3 courses I come across in the UK are generally dreadful -in fact - I haven't seen a worthwhile par 3 course over here.  If more thought and money were poured into these projects they may do better, but its a gamble, especially as nearly always, the money could be used on the main course.  If money is tight, I wouldn't even contemplate a short course. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Josh Stevens

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 04:25:31 AM »
We have both - a short 9 hole course, plus numerous practice facilities (huge practice putting green plus larger chipping green for short game up to say 40m shots, bunkers etc, you name it.

No substitute for having lotsa land.

However of the two, I use the short course more for practice than the practice facilities.  I get bored hitting buckets so I take out 3 balls and play the little course and do my short game work on the run

Jud_T

« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 07:37:27 AM »
My old club had a full practice range and short game area as well as a 3-hole practice course (1 par 3 and 2 par 4s).  The practice range was used at least 10x more than the 3-hole loop.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Niall C

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 07:55:56 AM »
Adrian

Yes we did stop by the par 3 course on the way back to the clubhouse if remember right. I'm surprised to hear its not more of a draw for visitors as a nice add on.

Sean

Generally agree with your comments however Craigielaw looks as though its got a nice par 3 course. Always think it would be nice to play every time I drive by it on the way to Gullane.

Niall

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 04:48:10 AM »
You do need a driving range and a putting green first, but other short game practice areas aren't used much and can be replaced with a pitch & putt course. In Germany you can (or used to - not sure about the current situation) actually get a public par 3 course sponsored by the national golf association out of their "attracting new golfers budget". The one we have is not used as much as the big courses, but more than the short game practice areas. That being said, we have an additional 9 hole executive course, if we didn't I'm sure the pitch & putt would be stuffed.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 04:58:10 AM »
Another thought: how many people can practise at will on a short game practise area? One per green. How many can practise with a routine adapted to other usage? Maybe four or five per green. So unless your practise area has more greens than the par 3 course, it will accommodate fewer golfers.

If you draw up some rules, such as giving players the right of way, you can use the par 3 course as a practise area as well.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Tony Ristola

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 05:13:25 AM »
It all depends on how much space you have but if you only have a spare 8-10 acres and it is all you got then there is no question at all that a practice area should come first in terms of what most members or visitors would require. A good short game area does not even need an acre and then a par 3 course comes next. Par 3 courses in the UK are generally not used very much the 'membership'. That aside Par 3 courses to a small number of members are very important. I know of one 18 hole par 3 course that is a fantastic business, it does not have any features that GCA would like but it is great for introducing new golfers. Fun par 3 courses do not have enough people to love them because their potential players do not play them in favour of the main full course.

Most people that join a golf club outside of proximity and friend consideration see the golf course itself as the prime reason, the practice area would be next, then the clubhouse is the 3rd consideration.

When in Scottsdale, we used to get a group of guys who were players, and play dollar skin carry-overs at The Moon Walk course at Moon Valley.

We'd carry a handful of short irons and a putter, and have a go. It was a blast. Usually there would be one skin the entire day and a ton of laughs. Because there was nobody using the place, we'd play in one big group.  I can see par-3 courses getting used more if the clubs made doing so intere$ting.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 08:12:15 AM »
When I stayed at Mid Pines and played Pineneedles I utilzed both the practiice area and the 4 hole "practice loop" which was fun to play just prior to walking 18 at Pineneedles.

I would rather have a FUN par 3 course.
Best Played So Far This Season:
Crystal Downs CC (MI), The Bridge (NY), Canterbury GC (OH), Lakota Links (CO), Montauk Downs (NY), Sedge Valley (WI)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 08:49:52 AM »

Another thought: how many people can practise at will on a short game practise area?

I've seen 10, 15 and 20 golfers practicing at the same time

One per green. How many can practise with a routine adapted to other usage? Maybe four or five per green. So unless your practise area has more greens than the par 3 course, it will accommodate fewer golfers.

You must have failed math and logic

If you draw up some rules, such as giving players the right of way, you can use the par 3 course as a practise area as well.

Would you list those rules

Another moronic post bordering on the absurd >:(

Ben Lovett

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 01:39:21 PM »
How about this

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2014, 10:36:19 PM »
Serious golfers who want to improve their game at the competitive level will tend to opt for a practice range.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 08:00:57 PM »
Serious golfers who want to improve their game at the competitive level will tend to opt for a practice range.

Rather than spend a lot of time on short game practice?

William_G

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2014, 11:47:30 PM »
the best use of the space is to have both at the same location

Bandon Dunes has one with Shortys and it is a full 9 holes
It's all about the golf!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2014, 08:59:44 AM »

Rather than spend a lot of time on short game practice?

Bill,

The short game area is part of the practice area/range

Thomas Dai

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2014, 10:09:13 AM »
I'd be in favour of using some of the land for a Himalayas putting green.
atb

PS - Ben's photo reminds me of a album cover circa 1966-1972.

PSS - Also, can't help but reckon it would make a nice choice of 'design' for a last day Ryder Cup team shirt! :)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back