News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas Dai

Par-3's that are rated as Stroke Index 1?
« on: May 14, 2014, 02:49:37 PM »
How many par-3's can you think of that are rated as Stroke Index 1 on the scorecard?

The 6th at Painswick, 200 yds, certainly is.

I suspect the 5th at Anstruther, 245 yds, might be.

Any others?

atb

Phil Lipper

Re: Par-3's that are rated as Stroke Index 1?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 03:21:23 PM »
The 4th hole at Bedford Springs in PA which is a Donald Ross course is 230 yards uphill to the green Its rated 1 on the card and deserves it.

Jason Topp

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 03:36:40 PM »
The only time I believe a par 3 should be a stroke index 1 is if it has an impossible carry, such that most people are going to hit it in the junk. 

Stroke indexes are not supposed to identify the most difficult holes but rather the holes for which the good player has the greatest advantage over the weaker player.  Most of the time yardage alone is a very good indicator of that advantage. 

MClutterbuck

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 03:38:18 PM »
Most courses rate the most difficult hole on the course as #1, while several governing bodies state that the #1 rating should go to the hole that is more likely to present the greatest scoring difference between a lower and a higher handicap, or even between a scratch golfer and a 1 handicap. A very long and penal par 3 could qualify, although this criteria more easily occurs on a hole with more shots.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 04:35:37 PM »
I think this is going to change soon, but the #1 at Pensacola CC is our 7th, a par 3 that is 245 tips, 215 blues, 196 whites.  The green is some 40 yards long, so add 15 yards to a back pin.   The hole is a gentle Reverse Redan with a Biarritz swale in the middle.  With OB left and waste area junk right and deep greenside bunkers left and right, it's a tough hole.   I don't think it should be #1 although it's a brute because a typical result is four bogey 4s.  The lower handicap is at a disadvantage. 

John Kirk

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 05:05:08 PM »
The 3rd hole at Pasatiempo is the 2 handicap hole.  Pasatiempo has the odd-numbered handicap holes on the back.

For those who don't know, the 3rd hole is about 215 yards long, but significantly uphill, maybe 30-50 feet.  No water hazards.

BShannon

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 05:35:31 PM »
The 3rd hole at Pasatiempo is the 2 handicap hole.  Pasatiempo has the odd-numbered handicap holes on the back.

For those who don't know, the 3rd hole is about 215 yards long, but significantly uphill, maybe 30-50 feet.  No water hazards.

The 3rd at Pasatiempo is the most inaccessible, not guarded by a hazard green I have ever seen.

John Cowden

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2014, 05:47:42 PM »
Ken Venturi, a local boy for most intents and purposes, called Pasatiempo's 3rd hole the toughest par 3 in golf.   I play it as a two stroke hole which provides a more relaxed approach, and the occasional  3. 

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »
I think this is going to change soon, but the #1 at Pensacola CC is our 7th, a par 3 that is 245 tips, 215 blues, 196 whites.  The green is some 40 yards long, so add 15 yards to a back pin.   The hole is a gentle Reverse Redan with a Biarritz swale in the middle.  With OB left and waste area junk right and deep greenside bunkers left and right, it's a tough hole.   I don't think it should be #1 although it's a brute because a typical result is four bogey 4s.  The lower handicap is at a disadvantage.  
piece of cake, but I had a god coach

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2014, 03:25:06 PM »
Stroke index is not a scale of difficulty but traditionally where shots should be given. It is set so as to ensure as even a distribution of shots through 18 holes. Though of late due to the increased use of stableford it has altered a little in some places but is still used for shot distribution not deciding degree of difficulty.

I have never played a par three with a SI of 1 nor know of any.

Jon

William_G

Re: Par-3's that are rated as Stroke Index 1? New
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2014, 03:44:05 PM »
CPC #16 could be where the deviation of scores is highest, have to look at the card

(edit: 16 is the number 6 handicap hole)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 01:41:02 PM by William_G »
It's all about the golf!

Andrew Buck

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2014, 04:11:17 PM »
The 4th hole at Bedford Springs in PA which is a Donald Ross course is 230 yards uphill to the green Its rated 1 on the card and deserves it.

Our toughest hole for scratch players is certainly a 225 yard par 3.  However, it is also the 17 HDC hole by USGA allocation method.

http://www.usga.org/handicapfaq/handicap_answer.asp?FAQidx=25

Essentially the group of "low handicap" players averaged close to bogey, and the group of bogey golfers averaged close to bogey, so it had the lowest differential on the course.

Dave Givnish

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 11:25:49 PM »
4th at Whitemarsh Valley was one of top couple on the course. Not sure if it still is. The hole was over 230 yards with water in play left and right and OB long.

Redone 8th at Desert Forest could end up as the #1 differential when the course is re-rated. Anyone who has played it knows what I'm talking about.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 12:32:47 AM »

Essentially the group of "low handicap" players averaged close to bogey, and the group of bogey golfers averaged close to bogey, so it had the lowest differential on the course.

Do the low handicappers play more aggressively on this hole, which lands them in trouble more? 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back