News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Duncan clearly prefers the communist model of everyone is "equal" as he doesn't even like golf club captains. Maybe a holiday is North Korea will show him he's actually pretty well off here.

Or France?

:)

And anyway, North Korea is a spectacularly poor example. It has a monarchy in all but name. Plenty of successful modern civilised societies however, manage perfectly well without such a ridiculously anachronistic and medieval constitutional system.

Treason!  You shall go to bed with no pudding.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Scott Macpherson

Hi,

Thanks for the interest in the new book. I am travelling at the moment, so it has not been easy to keep up with this thread. However what I can say right now is that since the first golf club (the Royal Perth Golfing Society) gained the royal title in 1833, 73 additional golf clubs have acquired the royal title from the British Royal Family, but today only 66 of these clubs exist.

Our book focuses on the 66 clubs. We have maps showing where all the clubs are, a history chapter explaining the long connection between royalty and golf, and a chapter explaining the 'Road to the Royal Title.' We give each club equal space in the book; 6 pages. Each club chapter features a history of the club and explains the royal connection. We also often mention the club's golf facilities. The chapters feature colour photos of each club, and a plan of the course/s the club uses, (note 4 of the club do not own their own course, so this is a book about clubs and not courses). This book is designed to be a celebration of these unique golf clubs.

The book makes it clear that there is a difference between having royal patronage and the royal title. These are separate grants, and having royal patronage does not give a club the right to use the royal title (nor does being on royal land, or having your course opened by a member of the Royal Family). The proper authority to grant the royal title is the sovereign.

To answer a couple of questions posed;

1. There are 6 clubs in Canada that have been granted the royal title from the British Royal Family; Colwood, Montreal, Quebec, Ottawa, Mayfair and Regina.

2. We are including The Royal Port Moresby Golf Club in Papua New Guinea.

3. The most recent club to gain the royal title is the Royal Homburger Golf Club in Germany, (8 April 2013).

4. The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews were the second golf club to gain the royal title.

5. 38 of the clubs that have gained the royal title from the British Royal Family are in the UK, Ireland and Channel Islands. 28 are elsewhere in the world. (e.g. 4 in South Africa, 8 in Australia, 2 in New Zealand etc...)

An interesting fact is that since King William IV first granted the royal title to a golf club in 1833, every reigning monarch has granted golf clubs the royal title since, except one (King Edward VIII, who was very supportive of golf but abdicated in 1936 and thus did not really have the chance to confer the honour on any golf clubs)

The book is about 490 pages long. Will feature a leather cover and have an RRP of £60. It will be available for order through the R&A website (link to be confirmed), and for purchase at some royal golf clubs. The book is expected to be out in May.

Regards,

Scott

Here's a look at the cover;

« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:31:30 AM by Scott Macpherson »

Jim McCann

Scott

Many thanks indeed for the update.

I'm no Royalist myself but I'm really looking forward to the release of this book in a few months.

Niall C

I came across the following list in a Golfers Handbook for 1950. According to the book the right to the designation of "Royal" is bestowed by the favour of the Sovereign or a member of the Royal House. It goes on to say that in most cases the title is granted along with the bestowal of the royal patronage on the club. Personally I would have thought they were one and the same but clearly not. Interesting list.

English Clubs

Royal Ashdown Forest
Royal Blackheath
Royal Cinque Ports
Royal Cornwall
Royal Cromer
Royal Eastbourne
Royal Epping Forest
Royal Guernsey
Royal Isle of Wight
Royal Jersey
Royal Liverpool
Royal Lytham & St Annes
Royal Mid Surrey
Royal North Devon
Royal Norwich
Royal St Georges
Royal West Norfolk
Royal Wimbledon
Royal Winchester
Royal Worlington

Scotland

Royal and Ancient
Royal Burgess Golfing Society of Edinburgh
Royal Aberdeen
Duff House Royal
Royal Albert (Montrose)
Royal Craggan (Braemar)
Royal Perth Golfing Society
Royal Dornoch
Royal Musselburgh
Royal Tarlair

Irish

Royal Belfast
Royal Dublin
Royal County Down
Royal Portrush

Welsh

Royal Portcawl
Royal St Davids

Africans

Royal Cape
Royal Durbin
Royal Johannesburg
Royal Nairobi
Royal Port Alfred
Royal Salisbury

Australian

Royal Adelaide
Royal Canberra
Royal Fremantle
Ryal Melbourne
Royal Perth
Royal Queensland
Royal Sydney
Royal Hobart

Canadian

Royal Montreal
Royal Ottawa
Royal Colwood
Royal York
Royal Muskoka
Royal Quebec

Indian

Royal Calcutta
Royal Gymkhana, Bombay
Royal Western, Nasik

Other Countries

Royal Bangkok
Royal Colombo
Royal Hong Kong
Royal Singapore
Royal Malta

Belgium*

Royal Antwerp
Royal Zoute
Royal Golf Club de Belgique

(Honour conferred by King of the Belgians)

Niall

Scott Macpherson

Hi Niall,

It is interesting to look at these old lists. Excluding the Belgium clubs you mention, there are 8 others on the Golfer's Handbook list that are not part of the 66 clubs that we have in our book. We also have a number of clubs that gained the title after 1950. I find it interesting to watch the evolution of these lists.

Scott

Niall C

Scott

Absolutely, its a moving feast. Look forward to getting your book and reading the individual stories. From the list above I reckon I know a couple of clubs listed that got there "Royal" status from someone a couple of rungs down from Sovereign. It must have been a prickly business dealing with clubs who perhaps were enjoying a Royal status they weren't quite entitled to.

Now that you've got this one into production what else is keeping you busy ? Any more books/courses in the pipeline ?

Niall

Scott Macpherson

Hi Niall,

We went though an interesting period while researching the royal golf clubs that led us to The National Archives in London. Using tools such as the Freedom Of Information Act we discovered the evolving set of rules/criteria that officials in the Home Office used to determine whether a club was suitable for the royal title. Suffice to say, it is more difficult for a club to gain the title today than it was in the Victorian era. It is outside the remit of this book, but it is true to say that a significant number of clubs have applied for the title and failed.

This book is a celebration of a unique group of clubs so certainly we were trying to be very sensitive to all the clubs in this book. Where our research turned up information that was new to an individual golf club we have disclosed that research and discussed it with the club. I think we are going to advance the general understanding of what it means to be a royal golf club, where they are, and the contribution they have made to the game.

As regards the future, I am very much looking forward to continuing with my golf course design business. I am excited to think that a project I have been nursing through the planning phases in Scotland for the last few years will start construction this year. I am delighted that Sandy Lyle will be involved with the project called 'Kersewell'. Here is the link; www.kersewell.com

Regards,

Scott
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 12:17:55 PM by Scott Macpherson »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back