News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Weiler

Re: Palm Springs Golf
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »
Thanks, Pete.  I cancelled one round there.  Now will play Shadow Ridge instead.  So will be playing PGA West Stadium, Shadow Ridge, and the Valley course at Desert Springs.  Tony

Doug Wright

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2014, 02:58:16 PM »
Tony, I think either of the Desert Willow courses across the street from the Desert Springs Marriott are much better than either of the Desert Springs courses. Agree that PGA West Stadium and Shadow Ridge are good choices.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dwight Phelps

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2014, 06:45:04 PM »
+1 on Shadow Ridge. Played for the first time in Jan and it far exceeded my expectations. Fun round out there.
"We forget that the playing of golf should be a delightful expression of freedom" - Max Behr

Scott Wintersteen

« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2014, 10:27:45 PM »
I guess I should at least report back on my trip.  I only got in 3 rounds while I was out there but here is the breakdown:

Played the Indian Canyons North Course.  It is a William Bell design.  It worked out very well because it was a 2 minute drive from where I stayed and it is a very walkable course.  Good architecture and the price is very reasonable so if you are out there on a budget I would recommend.   

PGA West Stadium course -  I was expecting a very difficult, tight course with deep rough.  The condition of the course was very good, however, it was not what I was expecting.  I played the combo tees which were at 6500.  I did not think the course was tight off the tee and the rough was manageable.  The greens were quicker than Indian Canyons and seemed fairly straightforward on where they were breaking and such.  I guess I psyching myself up for the course to be tougher than I thought it actually was. 

Stone Eagle was the last round of the trip and it just blew me away.  I have not experienced anything like it and cannot think of anything to really compare it to.  I rode but was required to take a caddy to navigate around the course.  I was told it would be a tough walk and after playing it I am glad I took the cart because it got up to 90 degrees in the afternoon.  I played the 6400 yard tees and the highlight of the day was a birdie on #9.  I was surprised about how much room was available off the tee.  From the pictures I thought the course looked much tighter off the tee than it actually was.  However it took me a while to get used to all of the undulations in the fairways.  I had a couple of approach shots that were not hit as well as they should have been due to funny side hill lies in the fairways.  The greens had tons of contours to them and they were pretty fast.  Reading them was tougher than I initially thought but if I had any doubt I always went with the break opposite the mountains and that seemed to work out.  I think the speed of the greens were comparable to the Stadium course greens and the pin placements were fair, however I see where they could have some pin placements to make those greens downright brutal.  If you have the opportunity to place Stone Eagle do not pass it up.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back