News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Adam Lawrence

New course at Kohler
« on: February 24, 2020, 10:58:43 AM »
I understand construction is under way.

When this was announced, it was a Dye design. Does anyone know who is supervising the construction?
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom_Doak

Re: New course at Kohler
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2020, 04:54:54 PM »
I don't think construction is underway.  There were two court injunctions against it; one was resolved last week but I think the other is still in effect.

Mr Kohler and I discussed the project at length 18 months ago, but our deal fell apart when he wanted me to agree not to build another course in Wisconsin for a few years.  The injunction came right after that, so I don't know if he has decided on who would build it.  I was sad to have to decline; it would have meant a lot to finish what Mr Dye started, and Mr Kohler thought the same.

Jim Hoak

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2020, 05:25:06 PM »
Tom, you are doing a course at Sand Valley, aren't you?  Where does that stand?

Steven Blake

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 10:22:53 AM »
Tom-  It would have been nice having 2 courses of yours being built here in Wisconsin. Too bad Kohler fell through for you. Would have made Brian Schneider happy I’m sure  ;D  Can’t wait to see the new course at SV!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 10:26:18 AM by Steven Blake »

Ian Mackenzie

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 11:17:32 AM »
I think a concentrated dose of Pete Dye golf is just exhausting.
The four courses at the American Club, while all different, still beat on you.

I just returned from my first trip to Casa de Campo.
Played Teeth, Dye Fore and La Romana.

Was with 5 dads and 15 "kids" in their late 20's, three of whom were scratch or + players and one pro from LACC.
We all struggled to break 80. Sure, we played from the tips, and all felt like we played well and scored poorly.

Fely that TOTD was by far the easiest of the courses.

FWIW, all the golfers I speak with in Chicago about golf in Wisconsin are all mentioning trips to Erin Hills/Lawsomia and Sand Valley.

American Club/Kohler is a destination only if youre invited on some corporate boondoggle.
It's like being invited to play Butler National - you think about it....nah...then you pass...;-)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2020, 11:20:08 AM by Ian Mackenzie »

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2020, 05:08:31 PM »
Ian,

I think Blackwolf Run is well worth playing and definitely worth a special visit. It is certainly Pete Dye, but I think it has its own character.

Golf aside, one can get a great breakfast there.

Have played Whistling Straits 3-4 times and was not quite as thrilled. Definitely worth playing if you make it to Kohler, but it is Blackwolf Run that would get me back there.
Tim Weiman

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2020, 01:14:28 AM »
Tom-  It would have been nice having 2 courses of yours being built here in Wisconsin.

Actually it sounds like I am going to have two courses in Wisconsin, but I can't talk about the other one just yet. 😉

The land for the new course at Kohler is quite stunning, with five greens right by the lakeshore - I was very surprised how close they were getting.  It will be an important addition to the resort if it gets built.

Steven Blake

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:14:29 AM »
Tom-

I will resist the urge to pry into where the second course that Renaissance is building in Wisconsin is but I will just say good luck!

Is PB Dye doing the course at Kohler I take it?

Blake

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 11:16:14 AM »
Tom-

I will resist the urge to pry into where the second course that Renaissance is building in Wisconsin is but I will just say good luck!

Blake

No, Chris Lutzke is
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Peter Flory

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 02:26:43 PM »
Very glad to hear about Kohler.  I'm very lucky to live close enough to Wisconsin to enjoy the golf mecca that it is has blossomed into.  Think about the incredible variety as well compared to some other golf hotspots in the US.

Lake Michigan really doesn't have many courses that border it for such an amazing body of water. 

Steven Blake

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2020, 11:34:08 AM »
Adam

Thanks for the info can’t wait to see how it turns out. If TD would have taken on the project it would have been a nice stand alone stylistically from the other 4 courses. That being said I do enjoy Dyes work at all 4 courses.

I am assuming Chris will go in a similar direction as Mr Dye?

Blake

Matthew Rose

« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2020, 12:09:45 AM »
Will this be built from Dye's routing or will they start from scratch?
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

John Emerson

« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2020, 03:09:28 AM »
Tom-

Blake

Isn’t PB “retired”?
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back