News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: Bill McBride's Question About Credit Cards and Embedded Chips
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 05:43:09 PM »
Here is a pretty decent article on what to expect as far as fees using your USA cards abroad. Nice gravy train the banks have as they skim your transactions every which way.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

The Chase Sapphire has no foreign transaction fees and is chipped! Bad news is after the first year it is $95 per year.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 05:50:10 PM by Malcolm Mckinnon »

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 07:26:25 PM »
Here is a pretty decent article on what to expect as far as fees using your USA cards abroad. Nice gravy train the banks have as they skim your transactions every which way.

http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/banking/debit-card-foreign-transaction-international-atm-fees/

The Chase Sapphire has no foreign transaction fees and is chipped! Bad news is after the first year it is $95 per year.

Malcolm,
They do charge $95 BUT,on top of 1% cash back +all the usual higher % promotions, they give a 7% points bonus at year's end, AND their travel center gives about a 10-20% boost when redeeming points (i.e. a $400 airline ticket elsewhere can be purchased for around $320-360 worth of points) as well as giving 3 x points for travel booked through them.
I use this card for nearly everything and most years I redeem well over $1000 worth of travel items I needed to purchase anyway.
no foreign transaction fees makes it a cinch, especially if paying for a group.  a $20000 charge for say a large travel group would result in a fee of $600!!!

The other thing is I have never once had them not pick up on the first ring.

No I don't work for Chase
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 07:29:45 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tim Martin

« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2014, 09:59:10 AM »
Someone I work with just returned from vacation and told me she had problems in and around London as well as Paris with this issue.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2014, 10:15:11 AM »
I am not going to read two pages on credit cards with embedded chips.  So, in the spirit prevalent today, when I run out of cash, I am just going to put my hand out to Bill and his partner Joe and I am sure they'll spread the wealth, with joy no doubt.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57:59 AM »
Someone I work with just returned from vacation and told me she had problems in and around London as well as Paris with this issue.

Paying for purchases? Or using an ATM?

Tim Martin

« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 05:11:27 PM »

Paying for purchases? Or using an ATM?

Brent-I thought she was referring to paying for purchases.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 09:35:16 AM »
I am not going to read two pages on credit cards with embedded chips.  So, in the spirit prevalent today, when I run out of cash, I am just going to put my hand out to Bill and his partner Joe and I am sure they'll spread the wealth, with joy no doubt.

I hope that works out for you.  ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back