News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike Hendren

Help: Best Sources for Historical Aerial Photographs
« on: February 08, 2014, 08:47:31 PM »
Recommendations?

Thanks,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tim_Cronin

Re: Help: Best Sources for Historical Aerial Photographs
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 09:09:55 PM »
Start with this: http://www.historicaerials.com/aerials.php?op=home

Reasonable prices, quick downloads. Covers most metro areas thoroughly from the 1930s on.
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 09:45:10 PM »
Michael,

One place you may want to look is your state's Department of Transportation.

I know that in Virginia, we have a good sized library of aerials from various years, that were shot over various parts of the state. What is covered is annotated on the various county maps.

If anyone wants help locating shots for various parts of and periods in Virginia, please send me a private message.

Jonathan

John Burnes

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 10:23:58 PM »
Mike-

What area of the country (if USA), that you are looking for?

Kevin Lynch

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 11:50:04 PM »
I like HistoricAerials, but sometimes find it lacking for older photos (pre-1950s), at least in areas i've researched.  If you're looking for recent history (say 1990-current), Google Earth usually has more frequently updated aerials.

For much older research, I have luck with governmental resources (DOT, county gov't websites).  If you're in a region with a large University, they may be very helpful.  For example, University of Buffalo has a number of aerials for Erie County.

Hope that helps.

Ed Oden

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:41:20 AM »
I've had very good luck pulling aerials directly from the USGS...http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/  For example, the aerial I posted on The Links Club thread came from there.  It is a particularly useful resource for those interested in downloading aerials as opposed to just viewing them since it is free.  You have to pay to download content on HistoricAerials.com.  The images are often gigantic files (i.e., 100 MBs) and very high quality.  On the downside, it pretty much starts with the 40s and 50s, so if you are looking for really old stuff, you won't find it there.  It took me a while to learn how everything works.  Anyone interested can shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

Ed

Bill_McBride

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 12:56:39 AM »
The Dallen aerials from the Hagley Collection are available and cover most of the east and southeast.  I got two of Pensacola Country Club from the 1930's, very high quality.  I think they are available on line. 

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »
Our local power company took regular aerials (as they established power grids) from the 1920s through the 1920s or so.  Are are now available at our main public library.

I'll bet that holds true in other localities as well.

WW

Stephen Pellegrino

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2014, 06:41:24 AM »
The website for your town assessor may have aerials.  I know the town of Barnstable (in MA) has aerials going back to before the middle 1900's.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
Thanks gents.  Not having much luck finding historical Nashville aerials.  Likely operator error.

Bogey

Nigel Islam

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »
I tried looking for some Nashville aerials a couple months ago, and did not have much luck. What are you looking for Bogey?

Mike Hendren

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2014, 03:16:41 PM »
I'm fascinated by  Belle Meade's history.  They have an oblique aerial in the clubhouse dated 1922.  I was unaware that the current 8th and 9th are not original due to the construction of the current driving range.  I also can't tell if the there was once a short hole as the 8th instead of the par 3 sixth that played over Richland Creek. 

I did note that the original 3rd was straight-away as is Rees Jones' current version.  It previously turned left over Richland Creek to a shallow green set an angle - a design that RTJ used extensively.  I'm betting that was his work. 

While the club has a few Ross hole diagrams, I was interested to learn that a North Berwick man, George Livingstone actually built the course and served as the professional for 35 years. 

Bogey

Nigel Islam

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2014, 03:51:54 PM »
Regarding Belle Meade. There are two hole diagrams in the clubhouse that appear to be from Ross, and are identical to what is there. The caddie I had told me that Rees actually restored the routing to Ross's. That sounds quite out of character for Rees though. There is a book in the clubhouse written by Bob Calton that states HH Barker designed the course.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2014, 03:54:31 PM »
8 and 9 were also two of my least favorite holes there so I am glad they were not original. I loved 4, 5, 6, 7, 11, 15, 16. Mainly the holes over by Richland Creek.

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »
In Minnesota I found a bunch of them in the University Library.  They had aerials produced by tax assessors every 5 years for a long period of time.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 05:04:53 PM »
I've had very good luck pulling aerials directly from the USGS...http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov/  For example, the aerial I posted on The Links Club thread came from there.  It is a particularly useful resource for those interested in downloading aerials as opposed to just viewing them since it is free.  You have to pay to download content on HistoricAerials.com.  The images are often gigantic files (i.e., 100 MBs) and very high quality.  On the downside, it pretty much starts with the 40s and 50s, so if you are looking for really old stuff, you won't find it there.  It took me a while to learn how everything works.  Anyone interested can shoot me a PM and I'll be happy to walk you through it.

Ed

What program would you open the downloads with?

Ed Oden

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 12:03:36 AM »

Ed

What program would you open the downloads with?

I use Unpacker.  You can find a free download for Windows 8 on CNET here ... http://download.cnet.com/Unpacker-for-Windows-8/3000-20432_4-75833888.html  Any program that allows you to unzip compressed files should work.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back