News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kevin_D

Re: Why aren't there more highly rated courses in the Rocky Mountains?
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 06:57:28 PM »
Shooting Star is one of the best in the Rockies. I found it to be one of Fazio's best. 3 Creek Ranch is nothing special, however, and Snake River has been closed for about five years I think. Not sure if it has been maintained at all or if it has gone back to nature. Huntsman Springs has gotten some good reviews too--one of these days I'm going to manage to play it.

I second this - Shooting Star is terrific. It's the only Fazio I have played so far, and I came away wondering why he gets so much criticism on here. Perhaps he is just really good at creating courses out of previously dead flat sites?

Anyone have any favorites around Aspen or Vail?  I played Eagle Vail a few years back but was unimpressed.

Eagle Vail is a fate worse than death.  Vail Golf Club is a bit better.  My favorites in the Vail area are Sonnenalp (Morrish) and Cordillera Valley (Fazio).  If you are a conditioning slut, Red Sky. 

I am instantly stealing the term "conditioning slut".

HarryBrinkerhoffDoyleIV_aka_Barry

« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2013, 09:13:26 AM »
Barry,

You are just getting a bit greedy aren't you? You have a couple great clubs in Denver (including your own), some of the best skiing in the world at your doorstep, a short drive to the likes of Ballyneal, Sand Hills and Dismal River, fresh air and clean water, what more could you ask for?

My answer is that the Rocky Mountains are for skiing, not golfing. The same reason there aren't more top ski resorts in the UK and Ireland.

;D

LOL.  Perhaps I could have phrased my question better.  Don't get me wrong, I am certainly not complaining about the golf quality in my immediate vicinity or our world class neighbors just a couple hours east of here :-).  In addition, summer can be amazing here, why can't we have our cake and eat it too with world class golf and skiing?

The root of my question really had to do with the Appalachians vs. the Rockies.  There are numerous highly rated courses in the Appalachians, yet, next to none in the mountain areas here in the Rockies.  Yet, the Rockies have far more terrain than the Apps.  Money certainly isn't going to be an issue in Aspen, Telluride, Vail, Taos, Jackson Hole, Couer D'alene, etc. etc.   And certainly it hasn't been for a lack of trying, as numerous courses have been built in the Rockies over the last 20 years by some of the great architects of today (Fazio, Kidd, Doak, Morrish/Weiskoph).  

Andy below mentioned that the highly rated courses in the Apps were more of a rolling topography, vs. the severity of the land here in the Rockies.  Perhaps that is the core answer to my question.  That the land is too severe, and due to that, you are going to have many unforgettable holes just to make a fabulous routing work?  I also seem to remember Mr. Doak mentioning that he was brought in to advise on the second course in Couer D'alene opposite Black Rock (a different Rock Creek?), and he felt that the property was far too severe for his liking?  

In general, this was more of a question of curiosity, as I am planning on visiting the Apps this upcoming summer and playing the below said courses, and it got me thinking about why there are so many down there, and literally next to none here.  

No greediness here, I like what we have going on here in Denver very much thank you :-)

John Avram

« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2013, 01:04:31 PM »
Could it have something to do with the shortness of the season?  The rocky mountain courses only seem to be in decent condition for a couple of months a year (maybe June-September).  Makes it tough to get out and play too often.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back