News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ulrich Mayring

Midlands help: Macclesfield vs. Lichfield
« on: December 20, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »
Ok, say I have two days in June 2014 and can play two courses plus perhaps an optional third, if everything falls into place. I have identified two potential bases of operation:

Stay near Macclesfield:
1. Cavendish
2. Reddish Vale
3. Delamere Forest

Stay near Lichfield:
1. Sutton Coldfield
2. Beau Desert
3. Whittington Heath

Any other recommendations / modifications?

I would assume a Lancashire combo, even if composed of unroyal courses like Hillside / Formby / West Lancs, is going to be in another league financially.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Sean_A

Re: Midlands help: Macclesfield vs. Lichfield
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2013, 07:28:51 PM »
Ulrich

You are looking at £50 more for the Brum area courses and if money is that tight I don't think you are getting the value you would of the more Manchester centred courses.  LANCS will up the ante another £50 to near doubling what the Manchester courses will cost.  Mind you, Formby is the best of all these so it depends on how much you value quality.  They do a good dormie deal and you can play the Ladies course.  If you did decide to play near Brum, I would substitute Notts for Sutton Coldfield.  In this case, Notts, Beau and Whittington would make for a good grouping, but all work fine.  If it were me, I would check the Formby dormy package first and see if that works.  

I forgot to mention the Heathlands Challenge: Notts, Lindrick and Sherwood Forest on consecutive days for £150.  I think this is in early June.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 04:29:49 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2013, 04:40:20 AM »
What about Little Aston? Notts may be a tad too far for my tight schedule.

Assuming money is no convern, which of my two options would you prefer?

Ulrich

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2013, 05:17:52 AM »
Ulrich

I would be happy with either and would probably decide based more conditioning if I was flying in.  From this perspective, not only will the golf be undoubtably better with LA, BD and WH, but so will the overall conditioning.  What you may sacrifice for better golf is perhaps some unconventional design at the Manchester sites which works very well.  Cavendish is the real outlier; it always seems to be wet.  Going there is a roll of the dice unless you are a confirmed Mac Head.    

Ciao  
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield & Alnmouth,

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2013, 12:46:48 PM »
Ulrich,

I am sure if Duncan Cheslett sees this he will ensure you get on Reddish Vale as a member's guest (not that it is expensive) and if it is a wet summer and Cavendish is waterlogged you would be most welcome as my guest at Wilmslow for nothing. I have friends who are members of Delamere and would probably introduce you there.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:56:04 PM »
Indeed.

Reddish Vale and Cavendish is a very doable 36 hole day, both being fairly short courses 30 minutes apart. On a fine summer afternoon/evening Cavendish is a wonderful place; in rain and wind it is utter misery. Wilmslow would make an admirable replacement and it is equally handy for both Reddish Vale and Macclesfield.

Delamere Forest is a splendid course and should not be missed. Equally good however, is the less heralded Sandiway a couple of miles away.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »
Duncan, Mark, thank you very much, this all sounds very good. Although I am not sure how a course could be water-logged in June - if it is wet in June, then is it ever going to be dry? But I'll take your word for it :)

Ulrich

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2013, 01:24:51 AM »
Ulrich,

Cavendish is in Buxton, and Buxton was the location of a county cricket match famously abandoned in mid-June some years ago - because of snow!

Torrential and persistant rain can occur at any time of year in north-west England; the only difference is that in summer the rain is slightly less cold than in winter, although my example above shows that this is not always the case!

We do have dry spells though, and it is to be hoped that next year's dry spell is on the day you visit...

:)

James Boon

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2013, 03:35:46 AM »
Ulrich,

IF you fancy following Sean's suggestion and going for Notts (Hollinwell) then let me know and I'm sure we can fix something up.

IF you go for Cavendish, and I would always recommend it to anyone on GCA, then hope for dry weather to get the full effect!

Cheers,

James
2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Jim Eder

« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2013, 10:56:05 AM »
Ulrich,

You are getting the best advice from the best people. Mark, Sean, James and Duncan are the best, not only knowledgeable but just great guys!!  I don't think you can go wrong with any of ideas.

That Heathlands Challenge (Notts, Sherwood Forest, Lindrick) is really intriguing and a great deal but is a bit of driving. Reddish, Delamere, Cavendish (and a round at Wilmslow) is terrific and with the guys you would be playing with is just an outstanding way to enjoy a trip.  And Manchester airport is terrific and this would be easy driving. And Little Aston, Beau Desert and Whittington Heath (which I have not yet played) would be a lot of fun and it is great golf. And if you fly into Brimingham is very convenient and easy driving.

I just do not think you can go wrong with any of those. They are a bit different but all terrific. Each are special in their own ways. And the guys you'll meet are the best.  IF there is any way to get them all in by lengthening the trip that would be the best. If I flew over the Atlantic just to play those courses mentioned I would consider it a fantastic golf trip and would leave England very happy.

Enjoy your trip!!

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 12:13:22 PM »
Yeah, I could get them all in, if I passed on an invitation to Gleneagles... so fat chance :)

You guys are making it very hard to decide, but that is what I hoped for. The options are now pretty clear to me, I'll have to fix the definite dates next and then talk to my bank :)

Thanks guys, much appreciated!

Ulrich

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 01:17:03 PM »

You are getting the best advice from the best people. Mark, Sean, James and Duncan are the best, not only knowledgeable but just great guys!!  I don't think you can go wrong with any of ideas.

Hey Jim,

Thanks for the kind words; when are you next over? Dan and I would love to meet up with you for a round or two when you're nearby.

Jim Eder

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2013, 01:20:12 PM »
Ulrich,

You are very welcome.

I will say that the courses you are looking at are tremendous value in my opinion. You are the Warren Buffett of golf trips. Buying great quality at great prices!!

When at Gleneagles try not to pass up the Queens course which is truly very interesting and is a good challenge. Some pass over it and I believe that is a mistake. The Kings is also very special and should not be missed.

Just down the road from Gleneagles is an Old Tom Morris gem of a 9 hole course called Bridge of Allan. About 20 minutes or so from Gleneagles on the A9. I'll be posting a review with pics in the new year as I think many visiting Gleneagles next year would enjoy a visit to it. I LOVED the course and will never pass by it without playing again.

Enjoy your trip.

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2013, 09:41:16 AM »
And if in that part of Scotland don't miss Dollar. It isn't great golf but it is FULL of character.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back