News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: What's the cost/value of golf as part of a private club membership?
« Reply #75 on: December 14, 2013, 12:31:34 PM »
Shel,

This isn't as simple an issue as some would portray.

Suppose instead that it's a female who's inebriated.
That she's just had a fight with her husband or boyfriend, who has stormed off.

Another member drives her home.
She gets amorous in the car.
The member rebuffs her.

Insulted, she claims that he assaulted her.

How would you like to be that member ?

A cab/limo is the most practical, prudent solution

SL_Solow

« Reply #76 on: December 14, 2013, 12:33:02 PM »
Pat;  we are in complete agreement.  Three further points.  First, if the member arrives inebriated, the barkeep should cut him off.  The board and manager should make this policy clear.  Second, even if he arrived drunk, if the member is served more liquor and then drives, dram shop liability may be implicated.  Third, any employee who violates the policy should understand he may be terminated.  This is particularly true for the valet who controls the keys.

SL_Solow

« Reply #77 on: December 14, 2013, 12:37:20 PM »
Pat, as to your last post, this is beginning to sound like a law school exam with some fairly far out hypotheticals.  Or, perhaps, its not a hypothetical and based on past experience?  In any event, I agree that a cab is the best solution nd the club should make sure the member has house keys before they leave.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #78 on: December 14, 2013, 12:42:29 PM »
Roger, Mr. Solow,

Can you speak more on the 'loading up of social members (fallacy)' in hopes of raising revenue?  My club is unique in that it actually does turn a profit on F & B.  We have a casual restaurant that has your basic sandwich/app menu, and a food bar (downstairs as you are coming off the course).  It is open for lunch/dinner 7 days per week.  We have a small bar upstairs that is open w-sunday, limited hours that serves a very limited menu.  And believe it or not, we also have a 'formal' dining area that has over the last few years, relaxed its dress code.  It is open 6 days per week, only dinner and special events, and serves a more 'upscale' menu. We DO have a lot of social members that are limited (I believe) to 4 rounds per year.  The key to these areas is they are refreshed every 4-5 years...literally.  All of the restaurants look as good as any fast casual/fine dining in town, and people use them.  I think our food is above average, but not amazing.  

Joe,

Agree about the need for "refreshing" every 4-5 years.

But, your club is the ONLY private country/golf club I have ever heard of that runs a profit on F&B.

Are you sure that there aren't some accounting wrinkles that produce the profit and not pure cost versus revenue?

On a separate note, my wife and I got a rare night out last night (we have three kids).  After calling 4-5 restaurants that were fine dining/farm to table types, we settled on one where we knew for certain the meal would be exceptional...and it was.  My only complaint was how loud it was, but my club couldn't have matched the quality of our meal.  I said to my wife, 'its sad that 40 years ago, without question we would have made it (the club) our first choice' but today, the only reason I would go for a nice meal is for the quiet (all of these new restaurants seem to love stained concrete floors/no sound absorbers).

This is exactly what clubs I'm familiar with face.
Alternative choices for dining.
And, there's no shortage of them.
As attractive as it might be, going to the same club, every weekend for dinner, gets........... boring ?
Members want variety and supporting the club as the first priority no longer exists.

I am in the minority of our club both in age (41) and preference for food quality.  From the surveys I have read, I think the price point per item is more important than the quality of the food...but if I am going to spend $26 for a selection anyway, I would just as well spend $32 and it be amazing.  

No question, it's a delicate balance.
I'm pretty sure that most clubs try to find that happy medium.

For that reason, I generally eat my hamburgers, chicken sandwiches, brunch and a few club sandwiches a month over using what I am perfectly willing to spend money on, but is hardly ever in my top 15 places to eat.  Obviously the majority rules.  And I understand...having a restaurant where only 600 people can dine is crazy in a town of 150,000 +.  

Joe, you can't ignore the fact that there's a benefit of dining with like minded people.

I don't want to have dinner next to someone in gym shorts and a tee shirt, who needs a shower.

I want to have dinner with people who have an ONGOING responsibility to dress and behave in a predetermined and agreed upon manner.
Exclusivity does have it's benefits.

I guess I'm wondering how other clubs think about the F and B?  I know it is a neccessary evil for the most part when you consider the 30 other restaurants most members pass on the way to the club, but some are breaking even and in rare cases making money.  The f and b is medium on my list of importance, but for the sake of the topic, I am curious how/what other clubs are doing?

Joe, I've always maintained that new members aren't joining for the chicken salad sandwhiches, but, if you're going to join a club, you have a reasonable expectation of enjoying good food and service, even it it costs you a little more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back