News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MWagner

Dominican Republic
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:50:05 PM »
I was just informed that a close friend is getting married in Punta Cana DR this summer...what is the first thing I do since I have never been there...research the golf courses.  Do you have any personal experience in the Punta Cana for great golf?  I always love finding gems and the only course I have ever heard of down there is Casa de Campo.  I am not too concerned about greens fees, and usually get 2 days in on vacation.

Thanks in advance,

Mike in Philly

Robert Chwalik

Re: Dominican Republic
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »
Mike,

Casa de campo is a fairly long hike from punta Cana. Not saying you shouldn't make the drive but you will likely burn the entire day.  I have played punta espada and cap Cana. Both nice tracks IMO.  I would pick punta espada if you could only play one.  Wish I could help a bit more but there the only two I have played.

Have fun

RTC

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:00:35 PM »
I would not go to the Dominican Republic without playing Teeth of the Dog.
If I went back I would play there as many times as I could, without playing any other course on the island.
So my 10 rounds would be distributed this way: 10-0-0-0-0-0-0-0
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil, Dr. Childs, & Tiger.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:48:40 PM »
I played La Cana (Perry or PB Dye design, can't remember) several years ago. It was close to where I was staying (Club Med) and not far from the airport. It was ok - with a few holes on the beach - but I think there are much better options including a couple that are new within the past 5 years or so.

Joe Leenheer

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:14:45 AM »
PUNTACANA Resort & Club features 45 holes of championship golf on three courses; Tom Fazio's Corales, the P.B. Dye designed La Cana, and P. B. Dye's Hacienda which opened early January 2012.

Haven't played there yet (maybe this March) but a few of my friends spoke very highly of the Corales Course.
Never let the quality of your game determine the quality of your time spent playing it.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:10:51 AM »
Mike,

I've played Teeth of the Dog and Puenta Espada each multiple times and could not disagree more with Mike Nuzzo's assessment.

Teeth is no doubt a wonderful course and most worthy of playing, though it is a several hour drive from Punta Cana. For years it was the gold standard for Caribbean golf. That was until Puenta Espada was unveiled 15 minutes from downtown Puenta Cana.

Both have gorgeous aesthetics, terrific seaside holes (though PE has a few more than TotD) and very good architecture. Each has a very different vibe. TotD has a more old school, laid back "down-country" feel and is set amidst beautiful villas and an airport landing strip. PE winds it's way around seaside villas and abuts some condo sites and is most definitely a high-end new resort. I felt the inland holes at PE weren't great, but the seaside holes were, on comparison, much stronger than TotD. Both will set you back real $$$, but are high-quality resort experiences.

Corales is also nearby Puenta Cana and pricey, but falls short on the architectural comparison. It is very well conditioned, has some very good Fazio oceanfront holes, but isn't, in its entirety up to Puenta Espada. It is also held out to be a highly-exclusive private course though available through most hotel concierges.

Roko-Ki, Faldo's effort 45 min away is now, I believe, NLE. Too bad, as it had a number of decent holes out there (a great finish) and lots of fun. Should it re-open anytime soon, it's definitely worth the ride.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Chris Munoz

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:28:54 AM »

MWagner,  where are you going to be staying when you come to Puntacana.  The courses you must play when you come down are Corales, Punta Espada and Teeth of the Dog.  Casa De Campo is only a 30 minute ride now, because of a new highway the governement opened up a couple of months ago-Coral Highway. 

Give me you dates, and I will look for some good deals for you.  check out our website site.  www.puntacana.com

Between Corales, PE and Teeth.  they are all great courses.  The most difficult test of golf, i woul d say is teeth.  the last 4 holes are tough.  and if the wind is in ur face, just be happy making bogey on the holes.  PE, is a great track, used to hold a champions tour event.  small greens and great views from the holes. 

Corales, is a big golf course wide fairways, average size greens-6800 sq feet and movement, deep bunkers. 

Hope more of you guys come down and expereince the DR golf adverntures.  Message me when you guys come down to show you around. 

Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Ross Harmon

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 04:54:55 PM »
Definitely play Teeth of the Dog! Google "Go Golf Dominican Republic" - they can arrange transportation and tee times for you. Ask for either Shepard or Manuel at The Teeth caddy shack - two of the best and senior guys there.

I've only played La Cana in Punta Cana, it's definitely worth checking out and a fraction of the price of Corrales.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 05:28:13 PM »
Please note the difference between "corales" and "corrales." The former (meaning coral) is a seaside layout of joy to play. The later (meaning corral) is populated by unbroken horses of ill repute. Unlike sheep, they distract from the golfing experience and leave footprints on the greens.

This update brought to you by supercilious lampooning.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

MWagner

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 06:30:34 PM »
Thank you so much everyone!  When I return I will have my report and Thank you so much to the DR government for shortening the trip!

Hit em straight.

Jim_Coleman

« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:06:53 PM »
New road from Punta Cana to Casa de Campo- 45 minutes door to door.  Worth the trip.  Might be pricy though - probably $275 or thereabouts.

astavrides

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 09:44:44 AM »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:51:57 AM by astavrides »

Chris Munoz

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »
Check out the website below for golf packages in puntacana. 

http://www.golfpuntacana.com/

CM
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Keith Phillips

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2013, 11:45:21 AM »
I'm headed for Punta Cana in January - curious if Mike or others have any updated views on the golf in the area - will be there with family for 6 days, and currently planning to play 3x, one each at Corales, Punta Espada and Teeth of the Dog - does that make sense?  As I work off the winter rust, I'd prefer to play them in order of difficulty...seems Corales has the widest fairways, so shall I start there?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back