News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John McCarthy

Re: 2021 Walker Cup Venue?
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 07:34:31 PM »
Carmago?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Lou Cutolo

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2013, 04:39:41 AM »
sleppy hollow

David Whitmer

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »
Carmago?

I'm not a member, but I highly doubt it. If you stretch the golf course out fully, it gets to about 6,600 yards. That's way too short for these guys. Yes, they could find room to lengthen it, but not enough. You could find room on holes 3, 6, 8, 15, 17, and 18. I don't think you could get to 6,800 yards. I just think that's too short for these guys, sadly.

Steven Blake

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 11:57:35 AM »
I second Milwaukee Country Club!

I do love the idea of the Walker Cup at Seminole or Pine Valley. One can only hope!

ed_getka

« Reply #29 on: September 20, 2013, 09:23:31 PM »
Wherever they play it is worth going to check out. You are right next to the action (although the marshals were a little overbearing this year at NGLA) and it is fun to see how a good golfer interfaces with the golf course and hear their discussions with the caddy and watch the shots they attempt. It was amazing to me at Merion and NGLA to see the lack of creativity a lot of these kids have with their short game. They almost always pull sand wedge regardless of what they are facing. I watched a kid on the Redan at NGLA leave his tee shot pin high right of the green. The shot was basically straight down the fall line begging to be bumped and let the ball feed down to the hole. This kid hit sand wedge at least 15 feet up in the air and his ball went off the back left of the green and he had to chip again. On the other hand I saw a stunning hole out pitch from short left on #1 and an ace on #6. Go check out a Walker Cup you won't regret it. Unless of course they blow the ticket pricing like they did at NGLA. ::)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back