News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Walker Cup Reports (Seven Separate Photo Galleries)
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2013, 04:34:22 PM »
What an amazingly beautiful golf course.  Seeing it in HD is awe-inspiring!

ed_getka

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2013, 04:44:41 PM »
What time do the shuttle buses start running in the morning? Thanks for sharing the pix.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »
Shuttles from the Elks Lodge begin at 5:30.

Here is the last post of the evening. Big afternoon for Team USA: http://wp.me/p20nYT-2eJ
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Walker Cup Reports (Eight Exclusive Photo Galleries)
« Reply #28 on: September 08, 2013, 07:06:29 AM »
At 7:05 on Sunday, BuffaloGolfer is currently down...don't know why...have contacted server host...fingers crossed.

UPDATE: Miracle team brought site back up instantly...now I know why I pay them in currency.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 07:08:53 AM by Ronald Montesano »
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Ronald Montesano

Re: Walker Cup Reports (Eight Exclusive Photo Galleries)
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2013, 09:59:54 AM »
Final report: http://wp.me/p20nYT-2f1

Checking out and heading home...safe travels to all on this day
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

David_Tepper

Re: Walker Cup Reports (Nine are enough)
« Reply #30 on: September 08, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »
Any one know roughly what the attendance was on Saturday?

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2013, 05:53:45 PM »
Those cardigan / shirt / tie combo outfits are beautiful!

Don't be surprised if I'm wearing one of those outfits during our next match!  8)
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Thomas Dai

« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2013, 01:35:18 PM »
Ron,
You've posted a splendid set of photographs here over the last few days. Some terrific ones of the players and spectators etc and some taken from angles not normally used in course photo tours but which are actually most interesting in viewing aspects of the holes etc. Well done and many thanks for sharing them.
All the best.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2013, 11:56:44 PM »
Thomas
In all, i shot nearly 2500 images over the 2.5 days. If I had stayed around for the singles on Sunday, I have no doubt that I would have reached 3000 without batting an eyelash. I cannot imagine a better venue for the event.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

ed_getka

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2013, 11:30:54 PM »
Ronald,
    How could you leave on Sunday before the singles? It was just too glorious of a day to be out on the course.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »
Ed,

Golf is not how I make my living...I had to be back in WNY to teach and coach on Monday morning. The same thing happened at Merion in 2009. It's a price to pay for having the previous days there.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

ed_getka

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2013, 09:11:48 PM »
Ronald,
   No worries. I had been hoping to meet you while I was there on Sunday, but I didn't know until the last minute that I was going to be able to come up, so I didn't get a chance to arrange a meet up spot. You took some photographs at the Merion Walker Cup that happened to have me and my son in them and I've wanted to have a chance to say hi and put a face with a name. Keep up the great work, I really enjoyed the photographs. Are you going to LACC in 2017?

Gene Greco

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2013, 09:43:47 PM »
Ron

Opening ceremony photos look like they were taken from the same vantage point as from where I was seated which was next to the vicinity of First Lady Laura Bush.

There was a photographer nearby whose face I couldn't see wearing a distinctive tartan cap just clicking away.

You or not?

Gene
"...I don't believe it is impossible to build a modern course as good as Pine Valley.  To me, Sand Hills is just as good as Pine Valley..."    TOM DOAK  November 6th, 2010

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2013, 10:49:32 PM »
Ed, I'm sorry that we didn't get a chance to shake hands. I was driving an hour each way from Babylon, fighting allergies and taking deep, cleansing yoga breaths each time a marshal reminded me that cameras were not allowed/asked me how I snuck two cameras in :) I'd love to get out to LACC in 2017, but that will require some serious doing. Both Merion and NGLA were within a day's drive for me; LACCN~not so much. I remember you and your son at Merion. It was my privilege and pleasure to snap that photo (gosh, I hope that I sent it to you!)

Gene, Indeed, I wore the distinctive tartan cap. Our youngest just returned from the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, where she and her troupe performed over the course of two weeks. She brought me the cap and I decided to wear it. My disclaimer over the course of the weekend was, "If you want to find me or avoid me, this cap should make it easy." I thought about you all weekend and the conversation/driveabout/beer that we shared at SGC in June. It qualified as my most enjoyable evening on LI, all summer long.

Here's a nice story: Saturday evening, around 8:30, I walked down 18, through the gates, to the shuttle pick-up stop. Three (legit) photographers had been waiting for 30 minutes. The shuttle drivers had shut down early, leaving them stranded. Pete Kowalski, the communications director for the USGA, drove down from the media center and took us to the Elks Lodge and our cars. He could not have been nicer. I'm not a top-shelf shooter for any name publication, yet he treats me with the same dignity as guys with greater credentials.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

ed_getka

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
Ronald,
    You did send me the pix. We'll meet up one of these days.

BCrosby

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2013, 09:25:58 AM »
Ron -

Pete Kowalski is a great guy. Your story about him getting you guys to the parking lot is typical of Pete.

Bob

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2013, 06:05:08 PM »
Bob,

On Sunday, I had packed my bags by 10 am and was vacating the media space. I wanted to sneak out of dodge, but Pete saw me and asked/yelped "where are you packed for?" I told him about the drive I had ahead and he dropped everything he was doing to shake my hand, slap me not once but twice on the shoulder and thank me for coming. He asked if I wanted a ride down to the shuttle stop. I smiled and said "I want to walk slowly down the 18th fairway one last time. I don't know if I'll pass by again." He smiled that knowing smile, when words are unnecessary and a passionate appreciation for a course is shared.

I remembered back to when you dressed me down on GCA my first year for speaking about Pebble when I had never set foot on the course. I realized that everyone on gCa that has been to NGLA knows something that those who have not been, cannot know. Simple as that. So, thank you for the comeuppance.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back