News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Jim Arthur
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 02:18:30 PM »
Thanks Tony,

Interesting piece which spoke a lot of common sense. Did plug the odd piece of equipment and had my pet hate of calling Agrostis palustris wrongly Agrostis stolonifera. But on the whole a very interesting read.

Jon

Dave McCollum

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 08:53:18 PM »
Thanks for bumping up this thread.  I need to read it a couple of more times to begin understanding what you are talking about.  A decade ago I read about deep, infrequent irrigation in an old book about design and greenskeeping (by Dr. MacK, I think) and have been yakking about it ever since.  Problem is, I can’t get anyone to try it on our course.  We have very fine sand, push up bent/poa greens, high desert altitude, plenty of water, an ancient irrigation system, and hot dry summers.  It seems to me that we have trained our turf to expect daily irrigation, so when it gets hot like this year (30+ days around 100 degrees), we go brown almost instantly.  Our golfers are also very unsophisticated.  They hate brown and want the greens to play as soft as possible so they can shoot lower scores.  I can go on forever about this because it drives me crazy, but I’ve learned to shut up and give them what they want.  It’s hard enough in our golf market without becoming a martyr by espousing beliefs and a style of play they don’t understand.  We might die trying, but I’d love to see what you guys could do with this course.

The course is Canyon Springs in Twin Falls, Idaho.  I’m looking to put my money where my mouth is.  If you know someone looking for a challenge, have them get in touch.  We have decent bones and a great location in the middle of nowhere.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 03:12:31 AM »
Dave,

I know where you are coming from. The hardest part I the transition period. Also you need to have a course that is designed for the running game. The easy explains are the tee shots will be longer and the rough less severe and costs down. This is not a joke but also getting players to wear green tinted glasses makes a huge difference.

In the end if the club are not interested then don't go there.

Jon

Thomas Dai

« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 12:39:28 PM »
Jim Arthur's book "Practical Greenkeeping" is both highly informative and a great read. Although I can't speak for other areas of the globe, this book should be issued to everyone on the Green Committee at all private members golf clubs in GB..............although before issue it would probably need to be re-printed in brail and be given out accompanied by a labrador dog and a white stick (sic). Great book.
All the best

Joe Hancock

« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2013, 02:10:19 PM »
Dave,

Here's a story from my experience at Grand Island;

I had a group of golfers flag me down. The golf course was very firm, dry, but covered with good healthy grass. They couldn't hold a green from 120 yards out, using wedges and sand wedges to a slightly elevated green. They informed me that the golf course needed water as it was impossible to hold the green from that distance. I asked if I could borrow a 6 iron and a golf ball. Fortunately, I gave the 'ol bump and run a chance, the shot skirted a fronting bunker, and hit it to 3 feet of the pin.

They asked if I intended them to play the game that way, which I responded "sure, I think you'll have a lot of fun trying to figure out what shot gives you the best chance."

Golfers are teachable, but you have to be an active teacher with an approachable demeanor.

Joe

" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

JC Jones

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »
That's a great story, Joe.  It'd be better though if you had a chance at making the putt  ;) ;D

The build up of excitement as the ball rolls along the turf is significantly better than watching it in the air.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back