News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Nova Scotia golf?
« on: July 29, 2013, 04:37:04 PM »
Can anyone tell me the best public/semi private in Nova Scotia please? My brother is up there on business and has a spare day for golf! Thanks in advance. Dean
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Dean Stokes

Re: Nova Scotia golf?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 04:44:45 PM »
Ps. They are in Halifax. Thanks.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

David_Tepper

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 06:10:23 PM »
Best bet is probably the Ashburn Golf Club. The "Old" course is a Stanley Thompson, par-67 layout in Halifax proper and the "New" course is a Geoffrey Cornish design out beyond the suburbs. I played the New many years ago as they did accept visitor play at that time. I recall it being a nice walk in the woods.

www.ashburngolfclub.com  
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 06:12:57 PM by David_Tepper »

John Cowden

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 06:41:48 PM »
My wife and I played Glen Arbour on the first day of a two week trip a few years ago.  We enjoyed it. 

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 06:52:49 PM »

Don Hyslop

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 07:00:06 PM »
Here is a list of golf courses in Nova Scotia with links to their web sites. There are some good courses just an hour or so outside the Halifax area. If he is willing to go an hour outside Halifax, the Chester Golf Course is a nice ocean side course.
http://www.golfmax.ca/Golf-Courses/Halifax-Nova-Scotia-Golf-Courses.shtml

Link to Chester:
https://www.chestergolfclub.ca/

Another option in the Halifax area is Glen Arbour. it was site of the Canadian Women's Open a few years ago.

http://www.glenarbour.com/
There is also Brightwood, a Donald Ross/ Willie Park design. It is private but an e-mail sent requesting permission to play might work.

https://www.brightwood.ns.ca/

« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 07:02:19 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 07:03:40 PM »
Chester is very nice.  Spending a summer in that town, and playing that course regularly would be hard to beat.

Greg Beaulieu

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 07:18:38 PM »
A personal favorite, Chester would be my choice. It is not as glitzy or as well-manicured as Glen Arbour but the views and atmoshere are untouchable. I love it there.

I would try New Ashburn as a second choice. I don't know many who enjoy Glen Arbour all that much.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2013, 07:32:53 PM »
Cabot is not outside the realm of possibility for a long day trip - it is 3.5 hours each way, maybe a bit less if you have a heavy foot.  But there is no traffic to worry about.

Charlie_Bell

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
It depends how much of a road warrior he is.  I watched the Canadian Women's Open at Glen Arbour for two days: pretty, manicured parkland course.  Some nice ups and downs, and it's only 20-30 minutes from downtown Halifax.  I've played Chester 20 times:  wonderful scenery on the opening holes -- beautiful views of Mahone Bay -- and a very pleasant round.  Nothing too interesting architecturally, but it's an easy hour from Halifax. Very enjoyable, and a lot less expensive than Glen Arbour.

If your brother LOVES golf, cares about the quality of the course, and is willing to drive a long way for a thrilling golf experience, then he's got to go to Cabot Links.  Staying with relatives in Chester last summer, I drove 4.5 hours to play Cabot midday, then turned around and drove home.  It was more than worth it.  The setting, the views, the firm & fast fairways and greens, the wind...  This summer I persuaded my wife and daughter to come, so we spent the night at Cabot.  The course was even better the second time around.  I keep a photo of the view from the first tee on my laptop desktop, just for the escape.

Again, if he's a serious golfer, a road warrior and he values a great course over pretty green one with cookie-cutter bunkers, Cabot would provide an experience to remember the rest of his life. It will be about 3.5 hours from Halifax, though.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back