News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Bourgeois

The Cars and Cows Hole
« on: July 09, 2013, 07:29:21 AM »
Sean, what the heck?

Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Thomas Dai

Re: The Cars and Cows Hole
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 12:38:45 PM »
Minchinhampton Old, Gloucestershire, England. The links in the sky. Wonderful course on common land with a members club operating it. Free draining soil. You can be wild off the tee. No bunkers at all. Mounds and hollows and ancient earthworks built by yee olde mankind several thousand years ago around every green and/or in the middle or sides of most fairways. Two man green keeping crew with one part-time assistant. And yes, cattle and horses on the course, but only from early May to end Oct. Adults £18 in the week and £22 at weekends (£12 and £15 respectively if you have an EGU County Card). Juniors £5 in the week, £6 at the weekend.

Many have posted it's merits on GCA over the years and a splendid photo tour by Sean with notable contributions by many others.

http://old.minchinhamptongolfclub.co.uk/

All the best

Mark McKeever

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 12:51:27 PM »
I hope someone has a ballmark repair tool....

MM
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Paul Dolton

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 12:55:32 PM »
Its a fun course to play with some very good holes. When we were there the cows blocked the main road which runs through the course .

DMoriarty

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 01:38:22 PM »
Wow. Click on the link provided by Thomas and look at the photos.  The course looks really amazing, and that's no bull.  What golf ought to be. 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Doug Siebert

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2013, 02:03:35 PM »
Wow. Click on the link provided by Thomas and look at the photos.  The course looks really amazing, and that's no bull.  What golf ought to be. 

I agree, WOW.  This course has immediately been noted in my list of "places to think about visiting next time I'm over there".  I've hit some wild shots, but even living in Iowa I've never hit a cow, so I guess I could have a chance to check that off my list :)
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2013, 02:21:13 PM »

+1

Makes one wonder if the art of golf course architecture has evolved at all.

Bogey
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Thomas Dai

Re: The Cars and Cows Hole New
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2013, 03:15:32 PM »
"Wow" is truly a very good description.

For further information, here are a couple of photos taken during visits over this UK spring time.

Below is a photo taken from the 16th tee, a 160 yd par-3, looking towards the 16th green, a pretty steep green that slopes down from back to front. There is no sprinkler system at Minchinhampton Old so given the free draining nature of the terrain the greens are almost always extremely firm and very fast. The deep gully at the front of the green is the remains of fortified battlements from an old hill fort, probably a stockade style construction, most likely with a high wooden fence running right along the top, built several thousand years ago by yee old folk and stretching several miles in length in a circular manner around the top of the hill. Many holes play over this feature and other similar earthworks either from yee old times or later quarrying to build houses and barns and walls etc. On this hole the prevailing wind is normally from the left and against. In the far distance you can see more earthworks from yee olde days plus the clubhouse and to the left of the clubhouse the flag on the 18th green. The photograph foreshortens things a bit, the two lane road is actually about 20 yds over the back of the green.

Here is the link to the splendid course photo tour posted by Sean a couple of years ago including some notable enhancements by others.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,48765.0.html

Cattle and horses are only present on the common for about 7 months of the year during which time their nightly dropping have to be removed each morning by a man with a spade. Nice job. Some, but not all, of the greens sometimes have thin wire fences around them to keep the animals off. There are sometimes horse riders moving across the common although mostly they stay on well defined bridle ways and dog walkers are often around as well, plus in fine weather picknickers have been known to sit or park their cars very adjacent to the tees and greens! But overall things actually seem to sort themselves out quite well.

To indicate just how how minimalist the course is, below is the Men's competition tee-marker!

If anyone interested in playing Minchinhampton Old plans to be in this area, please post or PM. Maybe a game can be fixed up.

All the best.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 01:13:11 PM by Thomas Dai »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
Here's a not entirely hypothetical question for those of you with extensive English golf experience. You've got time for one round of golf on a weekday morning. It can be a round at Minchinhampton Old Course or it can be two times around the Sacred Nine. Which is likely to be more fun?

Not asking which is the "better" course (pretty sure I know the answer) but simply which will produce the most entertaining three hour experience.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:32:45 PM »
Hey guys, it's not so much the cows, it's not so much the cars, it's not so much the golfers -- it's the cows and cars and golfers. Say it three times fast while staring at the picture: cows and cars and golfers cows and cars and golfers cows and cars and golfers.

Makes your head spin. Nice golf shot there! Sean, did you make the putt and if so, how?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back