News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Re: The golf car......
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2013, 11:53:21 AM »
So what you're saying is that it's all based on your intuition. Cool.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Brent Hutto

« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2013, 12:02:15 PM »
No Jason. It is based on my certain knowledge of exactly what 1,000kcals over basal metabolism entails. And it based on my repeated, up close and personal observation of hundreds of golfers over thousands of rounds of golf.

By matching this certain knowledge up against this personal observation I can state with a great deal more than "intuition" that the activity engaged in by golf cart riding golfers in my extensive personal experience looks nothing at all like the activity that generates 1,000kcals above basal metabolism.

Now maybe that's not true for millions of golfers I have not personally had a chance to observe. But the 1,000kcals number that someone always pulls out their ass in these discussion strikes me a ridiculously overstated as it applies to the cart riders I happen to know personally.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2013, 12:08:52 PM »
Jason and Brent,

As an adult who battles with obesity I can confirm that a round in golf will not burn 1000 calories by and in itself.  I've been hooked up to the machines and am amazed and disappointed at the amount of work that is required to burn 1000 calories.  It is a horrible unit of measure for the fat person and leads many to give up.

Now knowing what I know about Brent he is a numbers guy who doesn't concern himself with things that can not be charted such as feelings.  One key element in the battle against obesity is feeling better about yourself.  Anything that feels like exercise that may lead to hating yourself a tad bit less will lead to results.  Getting outside and playing a "sport" is a great first step no matter how mundane or easy that sport may be.  You will not see or be able to document results from playing cart golf but you might feel them.  Even if that feeling is in your own mind it puts a dent in the barrier to fitness.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2013, 12:34:47 PM »
But the 1,000kcals number that someone always pulls out their ass in these discussion strikes me a ridiculously overstated as it applies to the cart riders I happen to know personally.

If the Rose Center for Health and Sports Sciences is in my ass, I must really be undercharging on their lease agreement.

Kelly's numbers match up with theirs pretty well. It's not a full 1000 calories. More like 800-850 for 18 holes.

John is right though. The real battle with improving the health of aging and chronic care populations is getting them to set manageable goals that they can accomplish and that also lead to further accomplishments. Getting a 72 year old to go play a round of golf is nice, but ultimately insignificant. The significant part is when he enjoys it and wants to do it repeatedly. And when he rekindles friendships on the course or builds new ones who invite him and motivate him to take on additional activities. It's more a mental battle than a physical one with that population, and it's actually motivation that is the biggest key driver in chronic care improvement for those populations.

I dream of a world where I can get the kinds of people who live in retirement communities to go through my weekly workout routine. Hell, I'd love to just put some of the "Walking golf is great for fitness!" guys through it. But the reality is that for a lot of seniors or chronic care patients, just getting outside and "doing stuff" is a win. For some of their patients, my doctors consider it a victory if they can just get them to go the store two or three times a week because then they're at least doing SOMETHING. In that real world, carts are far more beneficial than harmful.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Paul Gray

« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2013, 12:37:08 PM »
John,

You make some valid points and I feel a little harsh now for condemning all overweight people so swiftly.

Let me just say this: I've got a fair working knowledge of addictions and, to be clear, I mean addictions in the broadest possible sense. Obesity is just another "hook up" in the same way as drug or alcohol addiction and for that reason I understand the importance you place on feeling better about yourself. The key point though surely is that you recognise that cart golf is not in itself helping you. The problem occurs, as has already been said, when cart golf is sold as being an active pursuit, kind of like saying to an alcoholic that weak beer is the answer.

So I wish you ever bit of success whilst still maintaining a somewhat harsh stance with regard to the pathologically lazy. Then again, maybe I should blame societal influences rather than the individuals in question, thus bringing me nicely back to my usual centre-left position.  ;D

Again, best of luck.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:45:12 PM by Paul Gray »
In the places where golf cuts through pretension and elitism, it thrives and will continue to thrive because the simple virtues of the game and its attendant culture are allowed to be most apparent. - Tim Gavrich

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #105 on: December 10, 2013, 12:38:57 PM »
Check my app I use to count calories and it gives this data based upon 4 HOURS of the activity listed below:

Calories burned:

Golf in a cart: 810
Golf walking: 1,500
Walking: 1,100
Walk mowing: 1,300
Biking moderate speed: 2,300
Gardening: 1,000
Eating 2 dunkin donuts: 0 (gain 700 calories)

So, if I chose to ride instead of walk while playing and picked up a couple of donuts on the way home that is a 1,400 calorie turn around, and I only consume 1,900 per day; two bad decisions make a huge difference!

Kelly,

810 calories in a cart must have been at Lederach.  I'll never forget the classic rant of Dr. Childs. I wanted to make sure you were the architect so I did a quick search and found this wonderful link.

http://www.lederachgolfclub.com/Get-Golf-Ready-Golf-Fore-Women.html

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #106 on: December 10, 2013, 12:47:56 PM »
Thank you, it was Morgan Hill.  Those were great days not for the faint at heart.  My apologies to the good Dr. for the mistake.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back