News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Neil Johnston

New member intro
« on: June 23, 2013, 10:37:22 PM »
Hi all

My name is Neil Johnston and I have recently joined the forum. I became aware of GCA through my participation in this year's Hundred Hole Hike in Chicago, at Flossmoor CC. Many of Flossmoor's holes are burned into my brain after playing it nearly 6 times in 1 day, but in a good way. Other favorites on the Chicago public scene (which I frequent far more often) are Prairie Landing, Pine Meadow and Ravisloe. My favorite career course is Pacific Dunes.

I have been playing golf regularly for 8-9 years and look forward to fine-tuning my eye for architecture nuances and expanding my golf network, in Chicago and elsewhere.

Cheers,

Neil

Brian Colbert

Re: New member intro
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 11:04:48 PM »
Welcome to the party from another Chicagoan.

What are your favorite 5 courses in Chicago?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:09:37 AM »
Welcome aboard, Neil.

I would also like the record to reflect that I beat Pat Craig to a new member thread. That ain't easy to do, Bunky!   :D
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

PCCraig

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 09:35:01 AM »
Welcome Neil!

Congrats Terry... :)
H.P.S.

Neil Johnston

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 10:46:44 AM »
Besides those mentioned above, I like the risk-reward nature of Orchard Valley and also Thunderhawk. On the value end of the spectrum, I play the most often at Schaumburg GC, which is a great muni with some fun holes.

Playing Highlands of Elgin this week for the first time; that seems to be thought highly of around here.

Brian - where in Chicagoland do you live?

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 10:52:58 AM »
Welcome!

Phenom job on the HHH.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2013, 12:09:03 PM »
Neil,

More important ;) than your favorite courses...what's your favorite Chicago pizza and local beer?
H.P.S.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2013, 12:56:08 PM »
Neil did #17 at Flossmoor get any easier with practise during the day? It's one difficult hole.
Cave Nil Vino

Neil Johnston

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2013, 02:18:49 PM »
My favorite pizza place is closing - Gruppo di Amici on the far north side. Could do without deep dish, but if I must then Lou's is the best choice by far. My every day beer (well not every single day) is Goose Island 312. All the 3 Floyd's stuff is great too though.

I regret to say that I failed to par 17 in 6 attempts at it. In round 5, I hit a great hybrid that caught the trap on the right by about 3 yards. With a little more umpf, that would have been a real chance at a 3. Instead, it was a solid double. I don't think any of the 9 guys put a 3 on the board all day.

Cheers

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2013, 03:01:01 PM »
Welcome notsnhoJ lieN.

sbuC or xoS?

;)
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Neil Johnston

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Sox, but I will still tee it up with you if you support the dark side.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »
Neil,

I live downtown on the north side. I have played quite a few rounds at Schaumburg, it used to be one of my home courses. Fun course with great greens.

Brian

Kevin Cahoon

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2013, 12:57:15 AM »
Welcome to the fun. After about 600 rounds at FCC over the last 10 years, 17 is never easy. I have 6 birdies in that time.

John McCarthy

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
Welcome aboard from a fellow Chicagoan. 

You will like Elgin.  I know I do. 

Favorite BBQ?  Favorite old school Italian?
The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Neil Johnston

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 02:13:01 PM »
To be honest I don't eat a ton of barbecue in Chicago, but when I do, I like Stanley's in Lincoln Park. Old school Italian - I like a place in my neighborhood called Calo. If Spiaggia counts, then that's the spot. The greatest meal of my life, or close to it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back