News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Norman's newest work at NSWGC is growing on me
« on: June 16, 2013, 04:55:35 AM »
I had the pleasure of playing NSWGC twice in the past three days thanks to an interclub event I am part of, after rounds earlier this year courtesy of the always-generous-with-invitations Michael Taylor.

So now I have played the new 3rd and 4th holes a handful of times each in different winds.

I didn't like either hole initially, and I still think the old 3rd green was far more attractive from the fairway, but both holes have grown on me a heap since I first played them.

The new 3rd green might be gentler and larger than what was there before, but the miss right is horrific and the front-left kickpad can really assist those who know to use it, especially if you fan the drive right and have a long way (160-180m) home.

Previously, the green perhaps didn't really lead to there being a favoured side of the fairway off the tee. Now, it's definite that the LHS is an easier shot than the RHS.

The 4th used to be a bit of a sleeper hole that was tougher than it looked, but not all that memorable. Very low key, and quite English.

The new green creates more reward for being well-placed off the tee and I like the way it nestles up against the native vegetation.

The removal of the blindness caused by the ridge across the fairway was controversial, but I do think the resulting hole is really good. Tough, fair and memorable.

Some pics from Jono Becker's recent visit.

3rd green

4th green looking back

The "new" (2008) 18th hole is still "regrettable", my opinion on that isn't changing! More fairway bunkers than the entire first 17 holes and a green unlike anything else on the course. And that surfeit of bunkers combines to make no strategic sense.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 05:01:02 AM by Scott Warren »

Anthony Butler

Re: Norman's newest work at NSWGC is growing on me New
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 10:01:11 AM »
Scott, the 3rd was a necessary change and I am glad you have come around to my way of thinking...   ;)

The changes on the 4th hole I still contend are solving a problem that did not exist. Rather than switching the bunker to the other side of the green, with some minor contouring of the putting surface and the area to the right of the green, they could have made "short grass a hazard" for those who bailed out with their approach to the green.

I am in violent agreement with you, however. on the 18th. Yes, something had to be done, but not what ended up getting done... the club would likely have to dispense with Norman's services before that any further changes are made on this hole.

Given current hiring practices for consulting architects at NSW, we might have to wait until Adam Scott retires and takes up the architecture profession.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 10:44:20 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back