News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Sims

Golf in Berlin
« on: June 03, 2013, 07:32:06 PM »
I hardly ever do this, but let's say I land in Berlin on a Friday morning and have all afternoon to either sightsee with my crew, or go play some golf.  Is there any golf course compelling enough to drag me away from what is--by many accounts--a solid afternoon of beer and tourism?

Mike Sweeney

Re: Golf in Berlin
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2013, 07:39:42 PM »
I have not been there since The Wall came down, but back when it was standing, I had NOOOOO interest in any golf course. Great great city, leave the clubs at home.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
My impression is that you have to go into Poland to find any golf of note.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2013, 08:43:13 PM »
The Faldo course at Sporting Club Berlin is highly rated, but is quite some distance out of Berlin itself.

Seddiner See (sp?) is a similar distance and also of some repute.

Ulrich and Christian are better placed than I to recommend.

Berlin is a great city and I didn't lament not having my clubs when I visited.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 06:14:06 PM »
If you can play at Berlin Wannsee, you might want to do it for the sheer historic significance. But I'm not sure how open they are to guests. The website says that on week-ends you can only play as a guest of a member. Which may mean they let you on on weekdays.

All other courses are either too far from the city (and Wannsee itself might be a haul in traffic) or too average. If I had only one afternoon in Berlin, I'd go sight seeing.

Ulrich
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 06:17:29 PM by Ulrich Mayring »
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 06:39:29 PM »
I hardly ever do this, but let's say I land in Berlin on a Friday morning and have all afternoon to either sightsee with my crew, or go play some golf.  Is there any golf course compelling enough to drag me away from what is--by many accounts--a solid afternoon of beer and tourism?

Sure: "I land in Berlin on a Friday morning and have all afternoon to either sightsee with my crew, or go play some golf."

Ulrich, do you mean historic as in the Wannsee Conference or is there a golf angle? Sorry for my ignorance.
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Ulrich Mayring

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 03:57:01 AM »
It is one of Germany's oldest clubs, going back to 1895. There are many golf angles related to its history, the development of golf in Germany and famous players and designers. Also a few darker chapters during the Nazi regime. Too much to tell in a few sentences, but I believe the historic aura will be felt on site.

Ulrich
Golf Course Exposé (300+ courses reviewed), Golf CV (how I keep track of 'em)

Christoph Meister

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 10:16:12 AM »
Unlike JFK I am a Hamburger and not a Berliner. Nevertheless I can strongly recommend a visit at Golf- und Land-Club Berlin-Wannsee, where guests are welcomed during weekdays also playing without members. There are 18 original holes from the 1926, 9 off them plus 9 new ones from 1930 are making up today's championship course. The remaining 9 hole shorter course consists of another 9 old holes from 1926. Actually the holes were constructed before 1914 but construction stopped during the great war. One of my favourite holes is No. 7 on the short course, a hole that matches some of the best golf holes in Germany at Hamburg-Falkenstein and Frankfurter Golf Club.

The original 18 holes from 1926 formed the American Berlin Golf Club from 1945 to 1995. In 1995 these 18 holes were handed back to the Germans. During all those years the Golf- und Land-Club Berlin-Wannsee played on only 9 holes near the Stölpchensee that were added 1930 and are now far away from the clubhouse on the other (south-east) side of the course. Today's club house terrace is the perfect place to enjoy the beers that you would otherwise have to drink during your sightseeing in the city-centre.... Cheers!

Hole No.7 Short Course (or former no 16 on the US-Course):

During the cold war Golf- und Land-Club Berlin-Wannsee played on holes 7 to 14 as shown on the below map only. For special occasions like national German Amateur Championships there was a composite course being played including 9 off the US-golf holes. This course is quite similar to today championship course..

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:40:25 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2013, 10:48:51 AM »
Unlike JFK I am a Hamburger and not a Berliner.

Christoph, if I read this correctly then very funny! (Berliner=pastry)

Great post and interesting land movement in the pic. How are the playing corridors? Do trees intrude too much?
Charlotte. Daniel. Olivia. Josephine. Ana. Dylan. Madeleine. Catherine. Chase. Jesse. James. Grace. Emilie. Jack. Noah. Caroline. Jessica. Benjamin. Avielle. Allison.

Christoph Meister

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2013, 11:03:02 AM »
Mark,

I am certainly not the authority to judge on the size of the playing corridors, I am sure some of the regular posters here who are golf architects and who have played the course could better judge on that. For my hickory golf the corridors seem wide enough, nevertheless comparing old fotos from Wannsee with today one can see how much taller the trees and how much narrower the fairways are or seem to be today...Berliner is also well known pastry over here ;-)

Greetings

Christoph
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 11:07:36 AM by Christoph Meister »
Golf's Missing Links - Continental Europe
 https://www.golfsmissinglinks.co.uk/index.php/wales-2
EAGHC European Association of
Golf Historians & Collectors
http://www.golfika.com
German Hickory Golf Society e.V.
http://www.german-hickory.com

Ben Sims

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2013, 06:01:00 PM »
Seems there's nothing to outdo the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, Berliner Dom, and Potsdamer Platz (Sony Centre).  Thanks for the input folks, I appreciate it!

Anyone going to be around Bangor, ME next Tuesday?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2013, 07:17:34 PM »
My Dad was stationed in Berlin from 1959-1961. Berlin Wansee was the first course I really got to play on a regular basis.  I was in junior high school and began to get in trouble.  Dad bought me some golf clubs: Spaulding Robert Tyre Jones model. He would pick me up after school every day and drive me to the course where I would stay til he joined me for a quick Father/Son nine.  I remember very little of the course except that it had one par three that I never could par.  For me it was Augusta National.  
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:19:30 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back